• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please add caption embedding for mpeg2 files!

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mpeg2 is a standard delivery format for several television stations we deliver paid programs to. It is presently a pain to get those particular files encoded with captions and I am going to look at other NLE options if Adobe doesn't get on the ball and add this soon...
Idea No status
TOPICS
Graphics

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
47 Comments
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that it is a pain to get the captions encoded into MPEG2. We've been taking the exported video from Premiere and importing into MacCaption (Telestream). The bad thing about that is we have to export the video again out of MacCaption as an MPEG2. The "Embed into Output File" is already available for QuickTime. So it would save people so much time if Premiere Pro had this same feature for embedding captions into MPEG2 files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an Americans with Disabilities requirement that the FCC is regulating. It’s important to Adobe’s end user to have those requirements provided to the Broadcast Networks. If it works with .mov and with .mxf it certainly should work with the standard .mpeg2 (707/608) requirements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have been in the CC services bureau business for many years and have met Adobe at many tradeshows asking for this feature. Technically i can be done, it must be a copyright issue and adobe would have to pay to use this format. Adobe keeps saying "side car", I've never had a TV station ask for a side car.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly! Most stations don't want to accept a sidecar file an be responsible to embed the captions themselves and I don't blame them. To top it off, several of the stations I deliver to ask for H.264 .mov files and Adobe has discontinued support for that forcing me to stay with older versions. The other option is an .mxf file which is much larger and creates another time challenge for me. It's frustrating and I wish Adobe would address it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AGREED

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto to the time saving benefit this would bring to everyone who produces content for distribution via TV stations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have added this format to the back log of requested formats. To clarify this is line 21 VANC encoding and not 'embedding'. Embedding is done at the video wrapper level. The options for embedded captions are:

AS-10
AS-11
DNxHR/DNxHD
JPEG2000 MXF OP1a
MXF OP1a
QuickTime (608 Only)

Thanks for the feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Nate! This will make many broadcasters very happy. We appreciate you noticing this and working to make this request possible. Looking forward to future releases.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sony Vegas is only way I've found to do it, but it would be easier if these local TV stations would just grow up and take MXF files! They're better anyway

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

would save me a lot of hassle

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPVOTED! We need this as a delivery option, please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. No use in doing extra work everyday. This should be implemented ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please add the ability to embed captions to MPEG2.

This would save my team and I hours of "double exporting" and having to use other encoders and/or services. We would only have to export once via Media Encoder!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add this feature (pretty) please! I'm frustrated by having to export sidecar files, and marrying them in third party software!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Closed Captioning getting put directly into the output is the entire reason I got Creative Cloud a few weeks ago, switching from FCP. Only to find it doesn't do it for MPEG2, which is 9 out of 10 of my digital deliveries. That's a painful discovery I wish I'd made earlier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please please please make this happen. I need to deliver to 24 stations every week, all a combination of h.264, mpeg2, and mxf. Right now I'm having to run everything through maccaption. I'd love to be able to do this in one continuous workflow!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's really ridiculous that still after years we cannot do this.i have to pay for expensive software to do this in house. Yes there are thousands of stations still using mpeg servers! More than any other stupid and pointless added feature this needs to be implemented!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, Its a pain that i cannot embed 608/708 captions into mpeg-2 files... This would be extremely helpful... even apple compressor does this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add this feature!!!
I edit a weekly broadcast that airs in 6 different markets. All of a sudden 2 of the markets are saying the formats that export from Premiere with CC embedded will not work with their system. They are requesting mpeg2 files.
Unless I find another solution I will have to special edit 2 of six markets each week on a mac with Compressor. Stupid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like this shouldn't be that big of a deal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a huge problem for us doing broadcast programs. Most TV stations require mpeg2 files. Adobe, please add this feature ASAP! THANKS!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please Please Please add this feature!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add mpeg2 caption embedding. This is crazy that a 2020 professional editing program can not do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes please!

Votes

Translate

Translate