• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please stop making it so difficult to work with different Premiere-versions!

Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is really annoying to work with Premiere pro, dealing with clients who doesn't always have the newest Version. The changes you make with the upgrades are not that huge, so I don't See the reason to make it impossible to work with a slightly older Version, importier a file from a neuer one. I appreciate the whole adobe suite very much but this is really a pain, since the updates are coming more frequently
Idea Under review
TOPICS
Interoperability or 3rd party tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023
Hi Florian,

while this is a rather critical and large change to the way the application works and will take some time to be implemented, we'll definitely put this under consideration.

There's more than one solution to this problem, though.

A good short term opportunity is to use the parallel install feature in the creative cloud application. It should help to at least take away some of the issues working with people on a different version of the application.

Another thing worth keeping in mind is th...

Votes

Translate

Translate
52 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean, I can open Media Composer projects from the 90s in current version of MC. And send them to people still using AVBV and Meridian systems, who can also open them.

It's not a biggie if certain filters/effects don't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"while this is a rather critical and large change to the way the application works'

If that is the case then is something wrong with the way your application works. The basic elements of a sequence, cuts, tracks basic transitions, should gracefully move from product version to product version. I wonder if you are tying properties of the clips to the sequence rather than applying them to the clips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please allow for backwards compatibility between versions of Adobe Premiere. It is very difficult to work on a project with different people in a company, or outside client, when we all have different versions of a project & one of us can't open or edit a project created in a "newer" version of the same software. This is unnecessary & incredibly limiting.'

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's absolutely ridiculous having to export to FINAL CUT XML to move edit's between different Premiere users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a thought but is Adobe working on too many products simultaneously and ignoring their core productivity apps as a result? One example: the recent inability to use the export function for audio tracks directly into Audition has killed our pipeline. Maybe this should be a top priority since it was a core function of Pr which worked right up to 2020. Again, just a thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I continue to see replies on all Adobe forums from the Adobe admins thanking us and they'll take it under advisement. In meantime here's a band-aid. This goes on year after year ever since you created the Creative Cloud. It's nonesense.
Stop making it so hard to work with your core programs! Just created a project today, now I can't reopen because it forces me to use the newer version. When I do, now the project has bugs and I had to start from scratch!
Over and over and over and over again you continue to destroy your name within this industry.

How about you take that under advisement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a way to force people to use their newest version, and keep paying them for it. It is simply a business model nothing more.

Imagine if you have an Aftereffect 2018 it is doing the job, but if you collaborate with someone who uses the newest version of AE, you can't actually open the project files in your 2018 version,

This either forces you to upgrade or use their subscription solutions, either way this is $$$ for Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to take this opportunity to ask why we need to install a whole different version, or have a different computer just to read an xml file with one line of difference in it? The version line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like to have my Premiere Version compatible with at least ONE older Version. Right now it is not. Also it should connect to older AE via Dynamic Link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, he is right!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make it compatible with at least one older Version.
Stop the scam! Stop the scam! Stop the scam...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Volker, have you tried rolling back via FCP XML? That can work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kevin: No, it works only partially. Because that XML "flavor" is not native to Premiere (it's from FCP7), so user loses effects and transitions. As well as lots of other stuff.
So, XML is not a working solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@VOLKER Agreed! The work-around I use for now is this free Premiere Project Downgrader:

http://joshcluderay.com/downgrade-premiere-project-converter/

I hope it helps you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This causes us no end of issues when upgrading systems across the estate - I would be happy for this feature to exclude unsupported features when traveling backwards, usually these new features haven't been used anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This limitation is such a nuisance! There is no reason whatsoever to prevent opening any older version project in Premiere. I work between two systems, which have different Premiere versions installed and EACH time I have to downgrade a project using this lifesaving online service: http://joshcluderay.com/downgrade-premiere-project-converter/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok,
So you are working on a project and the title is apocalypse now and it's 1979.
And 22 years later you want to open the project again. Because you want to make some minor changes to the story.
This should be possible why?
Because it's a movie and it's edited in a editing machine.
The time and effort that went into the project is big.
And why is this relevant for the future?
Because the things we do today will be revisited by people in the future.
Thats why it's important that one of the main editing systems we use should be
able to open the projects and convert them (AE does it).
It's simply careless to not think about it in the first place.
Careless and nearsighted.
rejoice in the way things are.
When you realize there is nothing lacking,
the whole world belongs to you.>Be content with what you have;
rejoice in the way things are.
When you realize there is nothing lacking,
the whole world belongs to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this isn't the support forum, but I've had good luck with this tool: http://downgrader.elements.tv/

Since what this tool is effectively doing is just changing a version number, it's odd to me that Premiere doesn't offer this as a "Save Project As" option. It's obviously possible and not particularly difficult to do, just annoying.

My suggestion would be to add it as functionality into Premiere, and hit us with a "text and effects may not transfer properly" message before saving. I really think this would save a lot of headache for a lot of users... myself included!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very frustrating and kinda betrays their business model - they don't really care about anything but their bottom line rather than their professional users. Look at Media Composer or Pro Tools, amazing forward and backward compatibility. It's also increasingly difficult to download older versions, its easiest to torrent to get the old installers.

Patrick's response 4 years ago is pretty ****, also basically a lie. The only thing that prevents premiere opening a new project is one line of code in the project file! Sure some filters may not work but that's not a big deal. A very easy fix indeed

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please allow us to save file to older version

save as => compatibilty mode => select version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is this not in premiere yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Florian,

while this is a rather critical and large change to the way the application works and will take some time to be implemented, we'll definitely put this under consideration.

There's more than one solution to this problem, though.

A good short term opportunity is to use the parallel install feature in the creative cloud application. It should help to at least take away some of the issues working with people on a different version of the application.

Another thing worth keeping in mind is that you can install CC on two different machines (if you're on an individual subscription). That gives you additional opportunity to keep different versions around for compatibility reasons.

I'll update the status of this request as we move along.

If you have further thoughts on this matter, please keep them coming.

Thanks
Patrick

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone have one example of a video post production app that can do this? Especially an NLE?

I can't think of one. Resolve certainly can't. In fact, Resolve is far more limited than Premiere. As you can only have ONE version of Resolve installed at any one time.

I've got clear back to Premiere 2019 on my "new" desktop, and my older now secondary rig has clear back to 2014. I can't do that with Resolve at frickin' all. And with the database project structure, it can really completely mess you up to go to a previous version unless you know precisely how to do it.

Would it be useful? Yes.

Does anyone actually do it? Not that I know of.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate