• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Requesting Premiere Pro support with Geforce rtx 4070 ti

Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a date planned for this? Is it anytime soon?

Idea No status
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Performance or Stability , User experience or interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
17 Comments
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere is running very slowly during playback. My 4070 ti gpu is not in the system requirements. Any idea when full comatibility will be added? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What graphics driver are you using?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have one and it's not working correctly? If so, are you using the Studio driver?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have one. It's runnning playback on Premiere almost as poorly as my 2017 base model Macbook Pro. It's brutal. I am using the studio driver. The card is not showing up in the "supported GPUs" section of the system requirements (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/premiere-pro/system-requirements.html) so it's clerarly not supported yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the Nvidia Geforce rtx 4070 ti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You better start looking around on your system, to see where it is not performing up to par. That list is pretty basic, it doesn't have any 4000 series Geforce gpu's listed. Don't wait for that, they should work just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was on customer support for well over an hour figuring it out. I need to proxy everything I'm editing in order for it to work with my GPU. I was told that they would be supporting in the next patch within the next month so I wrote here to fact check in hopes that one of Adobe's engineers would respond. I shouldn't need to proxy everything just to get it running on what is very overpowered hardware. So I hope they update with this added compatibility very soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure there is no "very overpowered hardware". 

Proxies work great, it's a good practice, especially if your footage is h.264/5. That media is small, but the great compression they are created with makes them bad for editing. Proxies help solve that. You didn't mention your media, or much anything else, IE: the rest of that overpowered hardware. What are you running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By "overpowered", I mean the GPU is a lot more than Premiere needs to run smoothly. I also have a 12-core AMD 5900x CPU. By no means an "overpowered" CPU, but certainly enough to get the job done. Proxies are fine but I should not need to use them in the first place. They're time consuming to make. By comparison, my brother's PC (with an RTX 3060 and an 8-core processor) is running premiere just fine, without proxies or anything like that. And lo and behold, the 3060 is on the list of supported GPUs. What's the hold up, Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Ben,

Sorry for the issue. There's a lot of confusion around this topic. Sorry about that. I'm sure that this GPU is supported right now. I'm not sure why assisted support said what they did regarding that support. My take is that your performance issues are more related to your choice of CPU and the media you are editing with, and less to do with your new GPU.

If you intend to edit H.264, you would be better off with an Intel i9, 11th to 13th gen because of the added boost you get from Quick Sync. AMD CPUs do not provide hardware accelerated decoding for playback for Long GOP media, as many Intel CPUs do. That is why you should run proxies (or, better yet, transcode to ProRes) to work around this shortcoming. I can recommend the AMD CPU when it comes to editing codecs, like ProRes, however. They work great with pro media formats.

Premiere Pro relies on the CPU for most of the timeline handling functions. GPUs decode H.264, but its potential is reduced when you have other GPU processes in play, like, anything the Mercury Playback Engine handles (scaling, frame rate conversions, etc.).

From the User Guide:

Mercury Playback Engine (GPU Accelerated) is used for image processing, resizes, color space conversions, recoloring and more. It is also used for timeline playback/scrubbing and full-screen playback using Mercury Transmit.

The issues are compounded further if you are editing VFR H.264/HEVC. If you have a good solid H.264/HEVC files, you might make sure that your sequence and clip settings match. Avoid GPU accelerated effects, or have them turned off while editing. That would help but may not provide the acceleration you are desiring.

To sum it up, your GPU is supported and should be fine. It's your CPU and your workflow that is causing your bottlenecks. Please return with any questions and we can get those answered for you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response, Kevin. That doesn't make sense though. The other PC I've been using has an AMD CPU and it's been running just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My GTX1070 is actually still working well. But I upgraded my MB and CPU 12th Gen i9, and added two new 980pros. So I kept the GPU and my 64gb DDR4 memory.  All in all it's good. I'll probably wait until the end of the year, unless prices drops on GPUs (thus why I haven't upgraded) and I'll check out the new 14th gen when it gets here around then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh. NVIDIA's latest studio driver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben,

Interesting. Thanks for the note. What are the specs of the footage? Which camera shot it, for example? Is it 4K 10-bit 4:2:2 footage? Thanks for any added details.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 11, 2024 May 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue, premiere 24.3 runs very slowly on the 4070ti, my old machine with a 3070 is much smoother. It's terrible. I've tried studio driver, gaming drivers, old nvidia driver that came with the card. It seems that premiere 24.1 is better performance that 24.3, but 24.1 does not support the new sony formats. Not happy at all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 11, 2024 May 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That apparently is not due to support for that specific GPU, but how your new rig processes various formats. Much Sony, includingsome of their log options, is long-GOP stuff.

For comparison, a user listed problems with his hot new computer, but the CPU was a KF model. The F means the CPU does not have any included hardware encoding capabilities for long-GOP H.264/5 media.

So he returned that ship for a similar K chip, and gee ... problems went away.

So knowing your total OS and hardware along with specific data on your media is necessary to sort out the behavior you are getting.

Votes

Translate

Translate