• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save thumbnails cache for project panel thumbnail view

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The processing of thumbs at each opening of the project is really distressing. I would like to have the option to save these metadata at disk for faster start.
Idea No status
TOPICS
Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Aug 08, 2023 Aug 08, 2023

Hi All,

Sorry for the problem. We have added GPU support for thumbnails in the latest beta builds, and we believe thumbnails generation should be quicker and more efficient now. 

Please check out the latest beta build version from the creative cloud and let us know how it goes there.

You can download the latest Beta builds from Creative Cloud --> Beta apps
https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/creative-cloud-public-beta.html

If you still face this issue, please share your project files(&med

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 137 Replies 137
137 Comments
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan, that's not a solution. It's a workaround.

A solution would simply be - as requested - to save the thumbnail cache.

It's not a revelation that ProRes generally performs better than Long-GOP codecs. We know this already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Alex. Workarounds are not a solution. Fixing this should be at the very top of Adobe's To Do list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and I fix it by using old codec pack, Try this it might works with you as well. The version I used it this ""K-Lite_Codec_Pack_1190_Full""

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree Adobe needs a real fix for this in the code. This issue cost me literally weeks of time. But at least by switching to Prores it is now possible to work. Whether you call it a solution or a workaround, hopefully this can help others to at least get back to work. If someone had told me it would have saved a lot of wasted experimentation.

My feeling is that Adobe should stress the importance of using efficient codecs- some kind of disclaimer or notice during install. It has made a difference in so many areas- plugins process better/faster, and I'm experiencing 99% less crashing since I made the switch to working this way. The system now feels like it is running properly. So I would suggest for those still working with long-GOP codecs it is worth converting your clips to Prores.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using a codec like ProRes can be good for any workflow, but it's not a replacement for a thumbnail cache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thumbnail cach is absolutely killing my vibe. In the timeline as well. Everything is proxy. Can barely scroll anywhere without it all grinding to a halt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is killing to see how slow my thumbnails are coming to life. And as mentioned you heave to do it manually (scroll down). I open the footage in different tabs so i don't have to load all the time. I always work with ProRes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HEY ADOBE Engineers!!!
Why do we have this USERVOICE forum if you do not listen to our voices???

FASTER THUMBNAILS PLEASE!!
It's 2021 and we are still fighting with this issue!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just off the chat with Adobe customer support, still not doing anything about this issue. When will Premiere Pro have a better thumbnail experience?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE CHAT RESPONSE ON THIS ISSUE

"I can understand and our developers is already working on the same and we will try to resolve this as soon as possible so that our valuable customers will not face this issue."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For now, the best solution is to assign a keyboard shortcut to make it easy to turn thumbnails off so they don't slow you down. You can assign the same shortcut to turn thumbnails on/off in both the Timeline and the Project window, depending on which one is the active window! (see illustration)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

very annoying issue..wasting too much time...plz fix it

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would love if this was added!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would someone have a screenshot of where it is slow to show thumbnails ? Thanks !

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me in the bins when using icon view once per project open and on the timeline again usually once per project open/when switching between sequences after long periods of time.
Jams up Premiere, eats up all my ram for 15-30 seconds (64gb + some pagefile) before calming down and performing well from then on.
System Specs:
3950x, RTX 2070, 64gb 3200MHz, Drives - Editing NVMe, Boot/Program NVMe, SATA scratch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@antoine it's painfully slow in the Project window in both icon and list view. Worst of all, previews aren't generated until clips are brought into view. So even twirling a bin open will only generate previews for the files currently visible in the Project window. 4K long gop video files further down out of view will grind things to a halt when the user scrolls down, bringing them into view, a Pr generates new thumbnails for them. These should be rendered in the background once and then saved for whenever the project is reopened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thumbnail views are another one of Premiere's workflow "features" that sound great in theory but in reality continues to exist half baked & crippled to the point of unreliability.

Please follow thru with making this usable, even though it has been almost 3 years after it as been flagged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Omg yes please! its frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another comment on this subject.

YES. Adobe, why can't you cache thumbnails as part of the project? Seems silly to a non-programmer.

However, as many have mentioned, using proxies and enabling them in Preferences/Media GREATLY speeds up regeneration. It's a workaround, yes, but there seems no urgency to address this problem. So for now, it may help someone reading this post like I did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least 30 minutes a day for thumbnail generation. Adobe should be ashamed of themselves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is so difficult to edit when you have to manually populate thumbnails by scrolling the bin to the grey boxes and waiting for the thumbnails to populate. Coming from AVID, I really thought I was doing something wrong. I should be able to jump from bin to bin and pick my shots without spending 10 minutes to see each bin. There has to be a fix to this. I'm so frustrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thumbnail generation in bins and in the timeline completely destroy workflow, and have for years it seems. Please fix for the love of all that is good...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please Adobe, make this happen 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, make that freakin thumbnails quicker to appear, i haven't spent thousands of money on my PC just to get frustrated by a fault of your program, please solve this as soon as possible!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe. Really? WHATS IT TAKING SO LONG? Fix this damn ting already.

Votes

Translate

Translate