• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

X-Rite ColorChecker Plug-in for Premiere Pro CC?

Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will support for quick color matching using color charts like the X-Rite ColorChecker be added to Premiere Pro CC?
Idea Under review
TOPICS
Editing and playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023
This is a great request that is certainly something we want to implement. Rest assured our engineers DO understand the importance of this feature and how to get the job done. We also know that the performance and stability of the app should be our #1 priority and that is where our focus is right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 174 Replies 174
174 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both FCPX and DaVinci Resolve already have a plugin by default to select X-Rites ColorCheker Chart or passport to do a quick color corection. I think its time that Premiere has it too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premieres Lumetri should be able to interprete Color Charts like XRite. Many people shoot Log or with different cameras in one set and this would be a chance to correct colors faster an more accurat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere needs an automatic corretion by using tools like Color checker from X ride. Just like I can do with davinci.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you mean X-rite, not X ride: https://www.xrite.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes this is a huge feature in DaVinci that Premiere really could use as soon as possible!

- Jonah Lee Walker
Video Editor, Colorist, Motion Graphics Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several other video editing utilities allow you to do basic color correction if you have a shot including a color chart such as the ColorChecker passport. With a plugin (or module, panel, ...) that we could use to tell Premiere where the chart is in the image, it could analyze the colors and use that to create a LUT - or even just adjust settings in the Lumetri panel - to fix video colors quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, if you mean use a color chart during the shoot which you then bring in to resolve and do a color match. Great for matching cameras!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that's my point Richard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strongly agree with Ryder. I'm moving into 4:2:2 LOG acquisition so the subtle color grading available at this level needs more consistency at acquisition, not less. And the less round-tripping or workarounds I have to do the better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This absolutely should be added ASAP along with all of the other color charts that Resolve supports such as the Datacolor SpyderCheckr, which is my preferred chart. These charts are essential for matching various types of cameras on the same shoot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These charts are essential for matching various types of cameras on the same shoot. All of the charts supported in Resolve should absolutely be supported in Premiere with the CLICK OF A BUTTON!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree. We use the charts with almost every shoot. A plug-in would speed up the workflow and save time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree. We use the charts with almost every shoot. A plug-in would speed up the workflow and save time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well. Mr Anonymous. I guess you've never worked with footage that wasn't shot with rec709 specs?

Doing shoots using color charts to match colors between scenes and cameras have been a staple of color motion photography since at least the belated "lily" of three strip technicolor fame in the 30s.

It's a great tool in video (as in digital photography) to identify how a standardized set of colors change in specific lighting conditions and is then used to create a LUT to bring those colors into the desired specs of your choosing. Even if you are chooting slightly off white balance in a log format. If you have a standardized set of colors where you can point premiere to and say "this is ff0000" and "this is ccff22" etc you can quickly generate that desired LUT. This goes even quicker if the colors in question are arranged in a standardized grid so the editor only has to point out the corners of the chart and the NLE will find however many dozen the individual samples are automatically.

This is done on a clip basis to make the colors accurate to the specs you define (rec709 for instance) and is very much within what can be expected from a NLE or a plugin therein and is not a question of calibrating the playback monitor itself. Because if the colors in the clip aren't correct then calibrating the monitor will not help at all.

Hope I cleared things up more than I rambled. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We calibrate our EIZO Monitors with Jeti Specbos ans the EIZO Software, it work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I agree: there is a kludge where you can take the image of the colour chart into Resolve, which can create a colour correction from that. You can then create the LUT from that and bring it into Premiere.
However, it’d be great to have this feature in Premiere itself, and for a variety of targets too: Datacolor as well as X-rite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lets do this adobe! make it happen! thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mbr color correction plug in made it happen...
V3 out there for 60 bucks. Works perfect! http://www.mattroberts.org/MBR_Color_Corrector/

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to keep all color correction inside of Premiere without having to round trip Resolve - this would definitely keep me in Premiere

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't there a plugin for that ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Davinci Resolve has it and its pretty much needed for Premiere Pro if its going to be our color grading app

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes this should be a mandatory addition, and has nothing to do with Monitor Calibration.

- Jonah Lee Walker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's clear that some people didn't bother to look up what an X-Rite ColorChecker is and how it's used in Resolve before commenting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onom8tpiof8

This is one of the few features that I think is worth taking an engineer off de-bugging PremierePro to work on this instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea if they want Lumetri to be serious it needs to work with color charts.

- Jonah Lee Walker

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also I hope they implement this function. Using colorchecker is essential for us. Having this function integrated into lumetri would be a must.

Votes

Translate

Translate