Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

3 way color corrector, where is it?

Contributor ,
Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Very) New to Premier Pro.

I am trying to correct a colour / color cast on a scuba film. (I want to warm it up)

I found a Youtube vide explaining it nicely. Followed it step by step (until step 2) then it all went wrong!

See this link Premiere Pro Three-way-color corrector In my version of Premier pro 2017, I do not see the 3 way color corrector option in the menu as described in the video.

If I go to Video > Color correction. The 3 way color option is NOT listed there. Am I missing something, or has this been changed yet again in one of the many upgrades that seem to appear the moment someone posts useful help videos?

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

As a newbie, getting to grips with the product is hard enough without having to use help videos and screen shots that in no way reflect what I see.

Thanks in advance McP.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

It's in the "Legacy" group, and it's an old effect. The Lumetri panel does many things easier & quicker, though occasionally one can do something in 3-Way you can't easily do otherwise. I never use it, haven't in a few years.

Just enter "3-Way Color ... " in the search box at the top of the Effects panel and it will pop into view in the list.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's in the "Legacy" group, and it's an old effect. The Lumetri panel does many things easier & quicker, though occasionally one can do something in 3-Way you can't easily do otherwise. I never use it, haven't in a few years.

Just enter "3-Way Color ... " in the search box at the top of the Effects panel and it will pop into view in the list.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil is 95% correct - I'm sure you've already found it, but technically the folder it resides in is called "Obsolete" not "Legacy." Legacy does sound nicer though! Also, the Effect is called Three-Way Color Corrector, not 3-Way Color Corrector... I'm not normally that picky but I tried searching for it using the number 3 and it doesn't come up! Adobe is particular

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for catching that, Jason ... on my laptop, wrote before checking. Bad Neil! Bad Neil! 

I'm so used to using Lumetri/Ripple (or Elements) I'm getting rusty on the old-style effects. And older, of course!

For the original poster (OP), most YouTube/Vimeo free tutorials featuring the Three-Way or Fast color corrector effects are a few years old ... and are in the Obsolete "section" for a reason. As I noted above, there are a couple things easier to do in them, but in general ... the Lumetri panel is a better tool. Look around the web for Lumetri tutorials.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil, (Jason)

As usual, confounded by Adobe. I have Prem pro 2017 installed. I don't know where I would look for Legacy panels but I DID try entering 3 way color  but did not find it ( reading Jasons'  reply I noticed 3 AND THREE, pesky semantics)

The issue most new users have is that  they have to 'trust' people who post on Youtube (depending on the freshness of the content, neglected to check that, pah!)

The vid I watched looked very good and clear, but as mentioned it went belly up in step 2 !

I searched in the Effects for Lumetri and I just want to shoot myself, options, options, options, everywhere! I need to Google Youtube for more.

This is the problem with modern s/ware it's great, it does great things but the learning curve is atronomical.

Three way shows me three little circles that I can jigger about with whereas Lumetri seems to show me a list of about 40 options none of which mean a thing to me.

I went diving/snorkelling recently. Using an old Video cam in an Ikelite housing, in about 10 - 12 ft water I got some great shots however I forgot to test the housing with the orange filter that comes with it. The resultant videos are blue green as red light disappears very fast in water.

All I wanted to do was to either amend the color to warm it up OR (somehow) add a filter over the top so that I could use that filter on 14 other short vids.

This has become an absolute saga.

/Rant

I do appreciate your replies but it looks like I've a LOT more searching to do. If either of you can suggest any recent training or videos I can use to get better (there's a laugh) then I'd appreciate it.

Rob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correcting underwater footage is much easier to do in AE as it has photo filters (just like Photoshop).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann

Correcting underwater footage is much easier to do in AE

Sorry Ann 😞 What is AE ?

Rob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects ... Adobe's main FX program. The Big Daddy of special effects.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann's got a good point, but if you want to talk about steep learning curves, AE's graphic is right there on the first page ...

Though applying a "simple" filter is pretty easy to do.

The Color Workspace/Lumetri panel has numerous tabs ... designed to be worked pretty much in order top to bottom.

The "Basic" tab is built to look very Lightroom-ish, Temp/Tint, with a color-picker for "auto white balance" (though in 2017 the name by the picker [eye-dropper icon] is wrong ... ignore it, just try the picker on something that should be grey or white).

The blacks/whites sliders do exactly what you expect, the Exposure slider is a mash-up of gamma/Lift/contrast/brightness controls that lifts the middle tones a titch more than others, but will eventually move everything.

Shadows/Highlights controls mostly move what they're called, but do a wee bit on the entire scale so you typically use them against each other.

"Creative" tab ... a funsies place.

"Curves" tab, with four different curves controls on one user interface and a separate Hue/Saturation circle control. On the Curves device, the highlighted color dot at the top is the color you'll be adjusting. If it's the white one, it's everything, a colored dot, just that color.

"Color Wheels" tab shows the basic colorist's interface of three "balls" with a vertical slider. The balls are the chroma (color) change tools, the sliders the luma (brightness) change tools. Left to right, shadows-midtones-highlights. Click in a ball, and slide the mouse ... your colors go the direction of the colors on the typical color wheel. You can watch this change best in the Lumetri Scopes panels, which you should ​always​ have open while doing any color work. I use the RGB Parade, Waveform (either RGB or Luma) and Vectorscope (YUV) always.

This is an easy tab to use, very simple and effective.

Then the "HSL Secondary" tab gives a spot to do ​targeted​ changes. You use the controls on the top to select a "key" (by selecting parts/all of each of the Hue, Lightness, and Saturation controls) and modify the pixels picked by that key using the tools at the bottom ... color wheels, temp/tint, contrast, sharpness, saturation.

And of course the "​Vignette​" tab ... pretty self-explanatory.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil,

Thanks for that clear information. After searching I think Ann and yourself meant AE After Effects. (Which I have as a subscription for)

I looked at that - imported a video then immediately shut it as I'd lost the will to live after looking at yet another massive interface. Will persist with premier pro, then I may faff around with other items in the CC suite.

Rob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I so understand the look at After Effects ... however, this is one of the easiest things to do there. On the right side of that dense interface is a list of effects, with what, 20 twirl-down sections? In that, you can find "filters" ... I think (I'm at home, sorry!) and those can be just applied with slight changes. For your needs, might be worth checking around for.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is color correction handled differently for video then it is for stills? Is there some fundamental relationship with the Three Way Color Corrector and video that wouldn't make it a good tool for editing still images? Is there a reason I can't use the same Lightroom style toolset to edit video footage?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Video codecs and coding are very different from stills, and think of one other thing. Stillscorrection tools are designed to work one image at a time. Even doing a batch, it's a relatively small group of images.

Who cares about workload on the computer, really?

Video is going to have to work 24 to 100+ images per second.

There has to be a trade-off in their for perfection and range if controls versus keeping an acceptable workload on the hardware.

Very different beast.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines