• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Premiere / Handbrake.

Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2018 Sep 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me start by saying - I am not great with either premiere or handbrake.. But I am functional.  I searched the forums - but didn't find a clear answer to this situation but I apologize if this has been answered before...

I  have a video podcast - and the current routine is - once the show is done - the project is then opened in premiere - edited - exported. Then - because our media hosting company only allows 4 gig max files - the mp4 is then run thru handbrake - and then uploaded.

Now - I don't know what handbrake does exactly - other than compress it well enough to where the file is usually half the size, and no real noticeable loss in quality.

So my question is - -- is there a way to bypass the step of handbrake - and somehow mimic the compression settings in adobe premiere - so that I can export it ONCE - and not have to then run it thru handbrake afterwards.

Thoughts?
[text formatted by mod]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 02, 2018 Sep 02, 2018

Yes you can bypass Handbrake by lowering the bitrate in the export settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,
Sep 02, 2018 Sep 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only use old version of PPro ( cs6). So I don't know what codecs you get from CC natively.

I no longer use Handbrake and when I did it was years ago.

However, Handbrake now uses H265, which compresses about 2X what H264 does, without a big difference in quality ( if any).

High Efficiency Video Coding - Wikipedia

So, basically, if you can get H265 into your PPro version, and choose that codec when creating your stuff, you may be able to bypass the conversion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can bypass Handbrake by lowering the bitrate in the export settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know what settings I should use?

I have been toying w Adobe for a while - and it always seems to either be way too big - or be really bad quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at the file you are happy with from handbrake using MediaInfo. What does it say the bitrates are? Set those in your Premiere export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny how - I never even thought of that.

But thank you - trying that now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the file says 1229kbps -  Is that 1.2bps on adobe premiere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ralphs99460426  wrote

So the file says 1229kbps -  Is that 1.2bps on adobe premiere?

Yes, 1.2-ish Mbps.

In Bryron's examples, which are a good way to go if a) you don't already know your desired bitrate or b) if this doesn't work. Once you pick a preset, look to see what bitrate and estimated file size you have.

Your hosting service may be able to give you more info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

might as well also say what the codec is inside some 'wrapper'... like, if you export from PPro one wrapper and codec, then handbrake converts to another wrapper and codec, it sorta doesn't matter much what the bitrate info is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not entirely sure what you mean by that sadly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hehe. I didn't have a clue when I started learning stuff so it's normal I think to get info as you go along.

A wrapper is something that holds the codec inside it. Codec stands for COmpression DECompression.

Samples of wrappers are MOV AVI MP4 and so on. Usually it is denoted in the filename as the extension ( after the period).

E.G.  myfile.mov   myfile.avi   myfile.mp4

The codec is 'inside' and mediainfo can give you that info in TREE VIEW.

Mediainfo also gives you tons more info ( like bitrate, frame rate, all sorts of stuff ).

Most people just take a screenshot of the info from mediainfo and post it here so everyone sees pretty much exactly what you got.

Samples of codes are things like DNxHD, H264, PRORES, and so on.

Since all these codecs have different characteristics they will create different size files in byte count ( overall size of file).

Since we don't know what you export from PPRO and since we don't know what you got converted to in Handbrake, it is not exactly accurate to just say to you " lower the bit rate "... unless your export is the same as the conversion wrapper and codec.

hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the Media export menu ...

Captura de pantalla 2018-09-02 a la(s) 10.17.35 a. m..png

Select H.264 and Match Source - High bitrate

Captura de pantalla 2018-09-02 a la(s) 10.15.23 a. m..png

Or one of these options which suits you according to the level of compression you can accept or the video file size you need.

Captura de pantalla 2018-09-02 a la(s) 10.15.44 a. m..png

These export options will give you the same results as HandBrake.

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A caveat ….

If you lower the bit rate from PPro, it WILL lower the byte count, but the quality may suffer, so you'd have to do a test on a small section of your video ( just move work bars so you only export a small section and don't waste time doing the whole thing).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please understand that I am not  a professional editor and don't know as much as most people in this forum.

My understanding of your post was that you export from PPRO and it is nice but really BIG FILE and you need to deliver a smaller file to the podcast host. So therefore you convert it in Handbrake.  You said it becomes about HALF the size in byte count and the quality is still nice.

And you want to do that straight out of PPro to avoid the extra step of conversion ??  Maybe I misunderstood what is going on.

My gut feeling is that you are exporting ( THIS IS A WILD GUESS ) mp4 with H264 codec. Handbrake uses H265 which roughly HALFS the size of the file. Those are wild guesses... so maybe just lowering bit rate will be perfect !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Handbrake both uses H.264 and H.265.

Filesize is determained by duration x bitrate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea - It looks like the bitrate did the trick.

I lowered it to that same 1.2ish... it's an MP4 btw.

and I honestly don't see much of a difference in quality from the exported file and the handbraked file.

Thanks for the help everyone!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines