• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

All brands: anyone getting good control surface action in PremierePro 2017?

Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings Brothers & Sisters in surfaces-

Can anyone report the successful use of control surfaces- of ANY brand- working in Adobe Premiere CC 2017.1.2/MacOS 10.11.6? EUCON, Mackie, Tangent Ripple? Avid Artist Color? I have seen all kinds of midi hackensteins, but I am interested only in out-of-the-box and nominally supported by Adobe & vendor plugin/hardware combos.

As noted in the first post in this thread, I have a couple of iMac 5K stations which are currently operating at less than blazing (which we had in prior versions of Premiere). This is frustrating for me, and, I know, for others. I have an investment (of time & money) in the Tangent Elements which I would prefer to keep- but, if I need to find another panel which is proven to work, I may need to change.

Tangent Element still works just fine in Resolve, but it's nice to have them in Premiere too. This is a high-volume shop and much of the work can normally go in/out of Premiere quite quickly. I should note that I got my hands on an early set of the Palette controls, which do have some use in basic Lumetri corrections. They have some merit, and some drawbacks, but I would say a good value. In the end, though, I REALLY need rings & balls.

Help me Obi Wan Adobe!

- JT

[Moderator note: branched for clarity of discussion]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JT-

I do my color correction exclusively in Premiere Pro 2017.1.2 v 11.0 Oasis.  It also lists it on the splash info page as Build 11.1.2(22)

I am using a Mac Pro on macOS Sierra 10.12.1 with the Tangent Ripple.  I find that the Ripple works and is inexpensive and compact however it does not work continuously with Premiere.  It loses contact and has to be re connected often in a color session.  I've written to Tangent and Adobe and it appears that Adobe needs to make several improvements on the stability of Tangent connectivity.  Ripple has two programmable buttons that help navigate the Lumetri Color UI but more expensive Tangent control surfaces would offer more control at a greater expense.  It beats the pants off using a mouse or pen to make adjustments but it is not 100 reliable due to Premiere's faults.

I hope that helps.

-Barry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got both the full Tangent Elements (which I love!) and the Ripple, which is also very handy.

For the most part, they're working ok with 2017 ... but ... there are a couple issues. Namely, at times, when you've made a setting in Lumetri & come back to a clip, first thing you touch might reset that clip to zero-zero value. I have trouble constantly replicating this so I don't know exactly what the trigger is. Sometimes it happens, sometimes ... not.

Also, for both panels again, tabbing into the Color Wheels tab causes PrPro to dump the panel (and Ripple unit) into Edit mode. I can manually click the UI to get the wheels showing while working, but it's a pain.

For anyone else with the Tangent panels, if you haven't already, PLEASE file the bug report form ...

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Now, I'd also be very curious as to any other control surfaces and how they're working with PrPro, from the Palette to any of the audio interfaces, whatever anyone's got ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys -

I'm working on getting the Behringer X-Touch Mini to work with Premiere Pro CC 2018...

If you:

1) set it to MC (Mackie Control) mode using the X-Touch editor software

2) add it to the control surfaces then set midi in and out to x-touch mini

Then it works... however so far, the only buttons I've been able to program to do the functions I want are:

CLICK, SOLO, DROP, REPLACE, CYCLE, MARKER, and NUDGE

The VPOT1-VPOT8 settings are not able to be configured at all - they all default to panning only.  the portions of the MC mode which refer to VPOT assignment that seem to work are the TRACK and PAN buttons.  The EQ button will light up when pressed, but it doesn't seem to affect anything - maybe there's one menu that it will affect, but since EQing comes from an effect placed somewhere in the sequence, clip or adjustment layer it seems to not have a function.  The TRACK and PAN buttons seem to assign the VPOTS to the same panning function as they default to. INSTRUMENT, PLUGIN and SEND don't seem to do anything.

Nicely, the RWND, FF, PLAY, STOP and RECORD buttons function as they should.  If you click the record button, it toggles recording mode, so if you want to use it, you have to "enable at least one track for recording" before it will function as indicated.

The one fader that is present on the surface seems to ALWAYS control the master fader in the project, limiting its functionality severely...

There are two controls within the Mackie Control functions which seem to be very relevant:

1) "control surface...", which brings up the control surface settings menu - helpful to debug

2) "Toggle Control Surface Clip Mixer Mode", which when toggled, changes the VPOTS to be able to control panning on the audio tracks in your sequence.  All the assignment buttons likewise function with exactly the limited uses I stated above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The issues with the Tangent products, Elements and Ripple, are completely resolved and they are working as expected. Which is a joy ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines