• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Aspect Ratio Bug

Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest upgrade is causing my 4K 4096x2160 25p when placed on a 1440x1080 25fps timeline and reduced to 50% scale to squeeze to 4:3 aspect (including for export). However, if I scale to 51% it holds it's 16:9 aspect.

What has changed in the upgrade and how can I remedy this issue?

Thanks,

(Premiere Pro 14.4.0 (Build 38) on MacBook Pro Catalina 10.15.7)

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

This appears to be fixed in 14.7.0 (build 23)

Can anyone else confirm?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is probably a bug. Premiere Pro does have scaling isues with Mask, Mattes and simple PIP. Does the problem go away if you enable high quality playback or use software only mode. See if your results are simular to the video below.

https://youtu.be/1mJnLnyACog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It persists after opting for 'high quality' playback, and as I said this is not just a playback issue. The aspect squeeze remains on export. I should add that the 1440x1080 frame remains 16:9, it's just the clip when scaled to 50% loses it's uniformity and squeezes aspect to 4:3 so the exported clip now has black bars either side of the vision.

This problem has reared it's head after the latest update. I opened a project I fortunately exported 2 days ago and the scaling is completely up-the-creek on much of the timeline (many different size clips, phone vision etc all scaled amd all over the place)

For those with a deeper understanding (greater than mine) here are the rest of the specs

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2019)

2.3GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

32 GB 2400 HHz DDR4

Radeon Pro Vega 20 4GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

This needs to be fixed now. This is inacceptable. Roll back the update if need be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fwiw, 1440x1080 is an anamorphic format which is probably the source of the issues.  Not sure what your level of expertise is so ignore the following if you already know this stuff.  in an anamorphic sequence the individual pixels are rectangular not square.  Make sure that your sequence settings for the pixel dimensions (not the image pixel dimension) is correct.    Generally Premiere does a pretty good job dealing with these issues, but nowadays, delivery formats are usually SQUARE pixels, so you might consider setting your sequence settings to 1920x1080 with square pixels...  yeah, something's proably buggy in the new update, but this is probably where the problem lies.Screen Shot 2020-10-05 at 8.04.48 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand. But the 1440x1080 is not the problem. The problem is Premiere's sudden inability to interperet what i'm asking it to do. Most of the vision i'm working with is shot in 1440x1080 and the output is for broadcast. Very often though I am laying all manor of differing formats and sizes most of which need scaling.

The scaling should be 'uniform' and yet it is not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand but it's unlikely you'll see an adobe update that fixes this issue immediately.  So here are a couple of ideas that might help you over this hump.   No idea if they'll work, but worth a shot.

What happens if you copy and paste the entire timeline into a square pixel sequence?  Sometimes, but not always, premiere will make the appropriate adjustments...

What about prebuilding your graphics with this issue in a square pixel sequence and then nesting that sequence in your anamoprhic pixel sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You were right about the "Software Only' Mercury Playback Engine btw. It eliminated the issue, but it's a less than ideal fix especially editing 4K. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My video demonstrated to try sofware only mode and high quality mode. Software only mode is not a solution. It is time for Adobe to get rid of the Mercury Playback Engine and replace it with the Saturn 5 system or the Jupiter 2 system. The Mercury Playback Engine is just to buggy at this point in time. Back in 2011 it worked fine believe it or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My tests indicate a change in PR behavior from 2019.1.5 to 2020.4.0.

PR 14.4.0 Create sequence from preset HDV 1080p24 (1440x1080 23.976fps PAR HD Anamorphic 1080 - 1.333)

Import sample 4K (UHD) sample: 3840x2160 23.976fps PAR square. 

Add video to sequence. When prompted (does not match sequence settings), keep sequence settings. Select clip in sequence. In Effect Controls -> Motion -> Scale, with uniform scale checked, set to 50.0.

In Program Monitor (set to "fit"), appearance is 4:3.

Change scale to 51.0.

In Program Monitor, appearance is 16:9.

PR 13.1.5 Same process. However, both scales (50% and 51%) display as 16:9.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan,

I think you understand my problem. Your specs are slightly different, I generally work in 25fps, but yes.

Ideally, I don't want a work around. I generally don't have time for workarounds, and a product such as this used in the manner in which we all use it should notnusffer from such basic deficiencies.

Do you hve any suggestions as to who to make aware of this?

Many thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File a bug report here:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

And post a link to it here so we can upvote.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the point in the right direction, Stan.

Here is the link:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/41551480-scaling-aspect-rat...

Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good; upvoted and added comment.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you guys deal with scaling graphics? My clients like their logo small in the corner (you know... the bug) but I can't put it at 50%. It's usually scaled towards 10% but now it's squished and disproportionate. I can't even do my simple tasks now & this is a MAJOR issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had to use 'scale to frame size' then alter the scale percentage from there. Bringing it below 50% after scaling to frame size doesn't suffer the same aspect conniption.

It's doing my head in too. Major indeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A workaround is a good idea. But just try setting the scale to 50.1 instead of 50.0. The fit appears ok. Even entering 50.0001 works, but it will only display the first decimel, so you can't tell what your setting is.

You could also try rolling back to your previous version. Do you know what version you last had? I have not tested as to which version created the issue.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I'm out and about at the moment and don't have my laptop on me. I do tend to keep my creative cloud accountant fairly current, but as part of this latest update I updated the OS as well, and I'm not sure what implications that had on what premiere updates were available to me.

Work around it is for now. I do always worry about line and scaling issues when i'm scaling by uneven multiples, especially decimals, but I guess it'll have to do. 

Cheers for looking into it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can reproduce: workaround is to set clip to SCALE to framesize

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ann, I'll give it a try in the mean time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a very very similar issue. I just started a new video at 1080p. Same settings as two other videos I've done recently. I dropped in a graphic and if I reduce the scale below 50%, the image gets squished because it changes the aspect ratio. I used this same image in my last two videos without any issue a few weeks ago. This is super frustrating as this is a pretty basic thing I'm trying to do here. No updates available yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you try ann's workaround?

"I can reproduce: workaround is to set clip to SCALE to framesize"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems to have done it for the png image as well. I guess I'll have to manually select that every time until they fix it. 😕

At least its a solution. Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to 14.5.0 today hoping that the problem would be fixed (it wasn't).

But while checking to see if it worked on a completed project (originally edited with WIN 14.3.2), I found that by adding any video effect to the clip fixed the aspect ratio problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disappointing it hasn't been rectified. I tried to replicate your effect theory and while it spread to 16:9 as a preview still in the program window when an effect was added, for some effects (gaussian blur as an example) it immediately reverted back to the 4:3 squeeze when playback commenced. And so we wait 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This appears to be fixed in 14.7.0 (build 23)

Can anyone else confirm?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines