• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I Change the Frame Rate of an Existing Timeline?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2017 Jan 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi-  A very new Premiere Pro CC 2017 user requesting a little assistance...

I've watched many, many helpful web tutorials and how-to videos to get me where I am in my video project and am very happy with Premiere Pro.  Now that I'm almost done, I realize the source of the "juddering" in my still photo zooms and rolling credits most likely comes from the fact that my timeline is set at 10 fps.  As I understand it, my timeline's fps is set based on my having started the project by importing video clips taken with my digital camera which apparently works at 10 fps. So now I have this idea I need to somehow redo my timeline using 24 fps so the juddering will be reduced if not eliminated.  Am I thinking about this correctly or am I way off base?  And if changing to 24 fps is the thing to do, is there an easy way to do that or do I need to create an empty new 24 fps timeline and start copying my video clips, stills and audio into the new timeline?  And what issues might arise from changing the timeline fps?  Apologies for any wildly inaccurate assumptions on my part!  Remember, I'm pretty new to this program.

Thanks very much for any assistance you can offer!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 28, 2017 Jan 28, 2017

Select sequence in Project Window

Go up to Sequence > Sequence Settings

Change timebase.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select sequence in Project Window

Go up to Sequence > Sequence Settings

Change timebase.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow.  That was simple.  Thank you very much!  Juddering is gone completely.  I've noticed some de-synchronization on one of my 10 fps clips later in the video.  Not sure of that has anything to do with the change of the timeline to 24 fps but I think I know how to nudge that audio back a bit so it's back in sync with the visuals.

Thanks again!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can be marked as "answered", correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann Bens!

I'm having trouble changing the clip that I've added into my sequence at 10 fps. My sequence settings are set to 10 fps but the clip stays at 25 fps. Could you help me with this?

Thanks,

Sam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select Sequence in Project Window.

Go to Sequence / Sequence Setting.

Set editing mode to custom.

Now change the settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see any selections like that. Sequence, sequence settings etc. How do I get to them? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello-  I'm hoping I can ask what might be a related follow-up question to the one you so kindly answered for me....

Now that I'm done editing my video project with all the zooms and pans now moving very smoothly, I find that I have what I think is called a progressive audio-video de-syncing problem in the final exported mp4 file.  When I play the final video file on my computer, it starts off with audio perfectly in sync with the video but then slowly but steadily de-syncs and gets worse the longer the video plays.  If I stop the playback and move to another place in the video and start playing again from there, the audio and video are back in sync.

Is there some setting I can adjust when exporting to make the final audio and video stay in sync?  Or is there another solution?  I've learned that some people use a program called Handbrake to address this problem.  Should I pursue that as the solution?

Thanks again very much for any assistance you can offer!

By the way, the audio and video are perfectly in sync when previewed in Premiere Pro before exporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post a screenshot of a clip in MediaInfo in treeview

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MediaInfo Screen Shot.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the timebase of your sequence?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Sequence Settings the timebase is set at 24.00 frames/second. Just realized that's what you told me to change to eliminate the juddering of zooms, pans, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just determined with the help of the Adobe help folks via chat that the issue is with the playback software I was using.  This issue is resolved.  Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have similar issues, however when but the timebase is not active for me to be able to change it

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change to custom first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got as issue here when I import a video in PP and playback in timeline the playhead jitters, the quality of video and sound is terrible. This does not do this when the video is played back outside of Adobe PP. Changing the frame rate from 30.30 fps to 29.97 fps or any other value does not alleviate this problem. I cannot capture the jittery playhead with a still screen shot, if someone could provide me an email address I will gladly send you a screen recording of what is going on. This never happened before and I cannot use PP to build my sequence until I fix this problem. Until this is resolved I may have to build my sequence as a composition in After Effects and apply the transitions there. I'll try saving the video to see if it is jittery on output and not just when played back in the timeline. I need to add 13 videos and one audio track to this sequence; . I've attached a screen shot with only one video in the timeline you won't be able to see the playhead jerking back and forth on playback on a still image, I need to add 12 more and an audio track, however until I fix the jitteriness this will be a no go for this project in Premiere Pro. Any help will be appreciated and I will; try to do my project in After Effects as now this PP program is unusable like this.

just one.PNG entire sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Convert file to Constant Frame Rate in HandBrake first before bringing it into Pr.

Pr does not always play nice with Variable frame rate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 29, 2018 Dec 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will gladly give someone $100 cash if they can figure out why my play head jitters down the timeline in Premiere Pro and a viable solution. Playback inside the application is intolerable. There has to be a solution in the environment somewhere. Please provide me an email address and I will send you a screen shot of the problem as it cannot be captured in a screen shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've provided a link to a video capture of the faulty playback and jittery play head above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were you running into the playback issue when the clip speed was still set to 100%?

At 88.42% speed, I'd recommend doing one of two things:

• Transcode the source MP4 file to a mezzanine CODEC.  Apple ProRes 422 (LT) or GoPro Cineform 3 are good choices.  Replace the MP4 with the resulting MOV and continue to edit.  Also, update to your Sequence Preview settings to correspond to whichever mezzanine CODEC that you chose.  I'd go to the trouble of transcoding all of your MP4 clips to the mezzanine CODEC that you choose and changing all of your Sequences to match.
  • Copy and paste just the MP4 file playing (or failing to play, as it is) with the speed set to 88.42% into a new Sequence then export that to a CODEC that doesn't compress between the frames (again, Apple ProRes 422 LT or GoPro Cineform 3).  Then swap that out for the original MP4.  With the approach, you're effectively forcing a Preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having issues. I did both. I changed from source using modify - interpret footage to 23.976.

then it kept jittering. So i realized that the sequence was stuck at 60 so i right clicked on the sequence in source and changed sequence settings. it initially seemed like it changed but when i pasted the attributes from the first into the fixed clip it kept jittering. So i right clicked on clip in the actual sequence in the timeline and checked properties, it still reads 60.  I tried without pasting the attributes and again just copying the original clip that now reads 23.976 to the timeline and still no success. Not sure what i am doing wrong or how to fix this. Sorry for any typos. I'm a bit panicked cause i have a deadline to meet. Please help if you can. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the camera is recording at 10fps, the difference in time between each image will be 100 milliseconds. For comparison, there will be 33.33 milliseconds between images at 30fps.

If a runner where to stride once per 100 milliseconds, there would be 3 images per stride at 30fps.

At 10 fps, you would see the leg only once per stride.

Sorry if I misunderstood your post.

Or, this might be helpful?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am confused about who is asking question.

Sorry about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, i was reading thread and had already followed the suggestions, but not sure what to try next. I recorded in 60fps and converted to 23.976. but the clip wont show that when i right click on its properties while in the timeline. not sure if it always reads the original fps that it was recorded in.. but either way, it is jittering so something is wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines