I've been trying to find an answer for this but I'm not able to.
So my problem is that when I try to change a dragable setting with my mouse in let's say the effects controls windows it's stuck for quite a while, almost like a snap, before I can move it. So let's say I'm trying to change the opacity value. I click on the 100%, my mouse changes icon and I drag left or right. It doesn't do anything until I drag quite a bit more when it suddenly jumps quite a big value leap. So let's say I wanna fine tune the opacity down to about 95%. Then I have to drag hard so it moves from it's semi-locked/snapped 100% so it gets to like 70% or lower and then move it up carefully. Super annoying and I don't have any problem with this in AE, Illustrator or PS. Dunno what's up, didn't find anything in preferences about it. Thanks!
I've had that happen in earlier versions of premiere Pro. Cleaning up temporary files and restarting the computer worked for me.
Thanks for the response. Where do I find temp files? Is it the media cache? I tried clearing that (do it once in a while) and rebooting but it's still the same problem I'm afraid.
Thanks for the response. Where do I find temp files?
Thanks for the quick reply. I tried removing them now and restarting the computer but I still have the same problem unfortunately 😕 Any other guesses?
Make sure your numlock key is on.
It's on! I always have it on. Double checked now.
What happens if you drag up/down instead of left/right? Same lag?
Create a new project and import the old project into the new project.
How about if you drag the slider underneath the opacity setting? (click down arrow to left of Opacity to reveal the slider)
Thank you guys for trying to help me!
New project does nothing to my problem.
Yes Horshack, that does work, if only using the slider I get no snapping or dragging issues whatsoever. But with properties like position, anchor point ettc there is no slider underneath so I would love resolving this issue nonetheless. But I do appreciate that tip, I will begin using that now for properties which has it.
This isn't a solution to your problem but just an FYI, if you hold the Ctrl key (Windows) / Command (Mac) down while dragging it will reduce the increment of the mouse movements. Conversely, holding the Shift key does the opposite.
I realise this is an old post by now, but this seems to be almost the best workaround.
I say 'almost' because it turns out holding Ctrl will also reduce it to minimal increments while at the same time rounding the movements off to the nearest whole number. That's (almost) perfect - I can say 'I just want to go 2 more pixels' and not have to worry about finding it at a fiddly overkill resolution of 1 decimal place.
Thanks for the tip-off!
*Alt, not Ctrl. I can't see a way to edit...
throw something at me if you think I'm asking the obvious, but you do know you can doubleclick on the numeric value and just manually put the numbers in? Gotta say I find dragging with the mouse works beautifully sometimes and sometimes not so the manual approach is my fallback technique.
Sure, but then you have to slow down your workflow, plus do a lot of trial and error entering numbers > hitting return > checking to see if it's where you wanted it > clicking the number again > repeat, repeat...
Dragging lets you see in real time.
I've never been able to get this working as it should, even with version 2017.
I booted up Premiere for the first time in a few weeks and I have the same problem now. It worked fine earlier this month. Did you ever find a fix? I updated to the most current version hoping it would resolve the issue but no luck. I don't know how a full-time, professional editor deals with this stuff, under pressure, under deadlines, "oops, my NLE is broken again. Guess I'll spend a few hours online asking fellow users how to fix it or submit a bug report and keep my fingers crossed." I guess they probably use Avid.
No I never found a fix :/. Haha yeah I hear you. I have been learning Avid aswell now but want to use both for different things. It's annoying but you can work around it I guess. Hopefully it'll be gone in some update soon, let me know if you find anything!
It's 2020 and I found myself having the same problem. What I found out from some other posts is that it has something to do with Windows mouse speed (sensitivity) settings and a multi resolution mouse. I had my mouse at highest sensitivy (using the adjustment buttons on the mouse itself) and Windows' speed/sensitivity all the way down. This changed the way that Premiere recognized the mouse's movements.
As Premiere is one of my primary tools, this had to work so I set the speed of my mouse to max in Window's settings, and then adjusted sensitivity back down using the buttons on the mouse itself, and this seems to work just fine for me.
I will say that Premiere should probably update to recognize the mouse movement and speed regardless of what settings are in Windows. If it moves a certain (small) distance in screen space, it should adjust the value.