• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Drive letter change - now nothing opens or can be found

Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Because of requirements of unrelated software, the drive that houses my Adobe everything has been changed from E to D. Nothing is associating correctly.

When I type Premiere Pro in the search bar and hit the listing I get an error saying the drive (E:\) is unavilable.

Even after manually opening Premiere Pro the shortcut does not update.

And even when opening specific projects from within PP, there remain issues. 

All projects created before the switch to D appear in their folders as a blank white icon. When I open from within PP they cannot find any of their artwork and clips.

A large checklist shows up listing what is missing, even though they are still in the same folder with the project on the same drive.

In case it is relevent, this is a new T2B drive that replaced the old drive. It was cloned via a Sabrent dock from the old drive. And then the drive letter was changed from E to D.

I am ok to work on my current projects, as I have started them since the switch. But it would be helpful to get PP to give up the E assoication ghost and to get the old projects to recognize where they are, etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks

TOPICS
Error or problem , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Thanks all. There was some third party software, Power ISO, that was pointing to D. Once that was resolved D returned as a mappable drive. Things are working normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the permissions for that drive? That is the typical reason Premiere can't access a drive ... OS permissions.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change the drive letters back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easier said than done, I'm afraid. Other programs that rely on the drive letter assignment will not run properly when the drive letter gets changed back no matter what. At this point the only solution would be to nuke all of the programs thay rely strictly on the drive letter assignments, including Creative Cloud software, and then reinstall them from the beginning. One should not have to keep changing the drive letter assignments before running every single application or program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you re-install the CC app and Premiere Pro to the D-drive? Since many things are written to the Windows Registry during an install a re-install is a must to do to sort those things out. It may not help since many keys will still point to the wrong drive since the apps were not uninstalled in the first place.

The easiest long term solution is to install all apps on the C-drive so adding a new drive can be done without the whole system falling apart like a house of cards. It costs more time to try to have the smallest C-drive and install all apps on another drive. If space on the C-drive is an issue, buy a larger disc.

And, using the Windows Disk Management (Win+X+K) is critical if you still insists of having apps on the non-C-drive so you can assign another drive letter for new disks/USB-sticks, etc to avoid conflicts.

Or did i misunderstand the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understood all apps are on a boot drive and the rest as in projects on the E drive and by cloning the E drive? Might miss understood that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all. There was some third party software, Power ISO, that was pointing to D. Once that was resolved D returned as a mappable drive. Things are working normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You should still keep in mind what Averdahl said, using Windows 'Disk Management' you can actually change a drive's letter. That way if you put in a usb disk or other such, (or your d: drive which gets renamed) set them ahead of time (IE: With the disk in, as you want it) and go in there and change the drive letters. I use that often enough especially when I get a new computer. This way you can be sure of which drives have which letters and not hoping for the best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines