Exit

Editing 60fps in 30fps timeline

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2016 Jun 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys

Just a quick question.

I just bought a Canon G7X for Youtube, which can shoot 30 fps and 60 fps.

Sometimes I film clips in 30 and sometimes in 60 fps. If I make a new timeline in 30 fps and import the 60 fps footage, will it play at normal speed? Or will it play in slow mo, because I know you can make slow mo via interpret footage, but I don't know wether you can just play at normal speed when you import it in a 30 fps timeline.

BTW: What is the best fps setting for youtube? Or does it not make any difference?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 19, 2016 Jun 19, 2016

BossuytSimon wrote:

If I make a new timeline in 30 fps and import the 60 fps footage, will it play at normal speed?

Yes.

BTW: What is the best fps setting for youtube? Or does it not make any difference?

The best practice procedure is to edit with the timeline set to match the properties of the source footage. One you complete the edit, export it from Premiere using the appropriate YouTube export preset.  It will then be converted to the correct YouTube properties during the export process.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 19, 2016 Jun 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BossuytSimon wrote:

If I make a new timeline in 30 fps and import the 60 fps footage, will it play at normal speed?

Yes.

The best practice procedure is to edit with the timeline set to match the properties of the source footage. One you complete the edit, export it from Premiere using the appropriate YouTube export preset.  It will then be converted to the correct YouTube properties during the export process.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2016 Jun 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for the answer!

For the export, I use the export settings mentioned in this video:

I don't know wether these are good or just a joke? (I don't have a youtube preset in my PP btw)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can drop 60p clips into a 30p timeline without issue and without having to change any settings, it just works. The benefit will be if you want to use slow motion, you can apply 50% speed and it will be very smooth since the 60p has the extra frames to do it with and no frames need to be duplicated.

When playing 60p in 30p timeline, Premiere is simply playing every other frame, should look no different than footage shot at 30p. You can also drop 60p into a 60i timeline.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jeff,

Just came across your reply on this forum.

I have been trying to find the answer to this question for awhile and you hit the nail on the head.

My only question though is if you put 60fps footage on a 30fps timeline, and it simply plays every second frame, wouldn't the fact that the 60fps footage was shot at 1/120 sec make it stuttery on the 30fps timeline ?

I read your reply and thought brilliant, then read on another forum about the shutter speed issue.

I've tried experimenting with it and to be honest I can't tell it being stuttery with the 60fps footage on the 30fps timeline.

Thoughts ?

Cheers Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 60p camera I use (Sony X70) is borrowed so I don't have it to look, but I think the shutter is 1/60 really, and no the results do not look stuttery at 30p at all or I wouldn't be doing it.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You don't shoot the same shutter speed as the frame rate.

180 degree rule

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go to File > Export... and the Export Settings window opens, if you set the Format to H.264 and click on the Pre Set drop down menu, you should see a bunch of YouTube presets available.

Is this not the case?

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, yes I just checked. Didn't scroll down enough

Are those preset settings better than the one mentioned in the Youtube-clip I pasted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines