• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Generating "automatic" subtitles from a pdf or similar

Contributor ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all. I'm creating videos to accompany audiobook readings for youtube.

I'd like to find a way to generate subtitles from a source file (prefereably pdf, but could be any text file)

My rules would be to specify a start time in the video, then create subtitles of 12 words each from a source text file of, say, 4500 words, every 5 seconds, which approximates my average reading rate of 150 words per minute. I could then "fine tune" the timing if they slip out too far.

Can anyone suggest a method for this either with Premier or a third party app? What I'm trying to avoid is manually creating these subtitles and having to individually position them on the timeline.

Many thanks for any tips 🙂

<br>
~ David Sweeney-Bear ~
TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , Formats , How to , Import , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try After Effects scripts. Such as:

https://digitalanarchy.com/demos/SRT-importer.html

and

http://scientificswede.blogspot.com/2012/07/importing-srt-subtitles-in-after-effects.html

Andreas Kiel has something new for Mac, but I don't recall what it is and seem to not have a link. Perhaps he'll drop by and give a link if it might help you.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all. I'm creating videos to accompany audiobook readings for youtube.

This is a little confusing for me. you want to make a video ( watched by eyeballs ) for an audio book ( listened to by people in bed cause their eyes are closed or they are blind ) ???

I have a nephew who got blind and he uses software to convert emails and text into sound.

So we can talk to each other.

His end of the software ( being blind ) is that he talks and it gets converted into text.

Then there's OCR recognition software too.... where you can scan a doc ( like a pdf ) and turn it into real text format.

So, you have options ( some of which would be probably free for disabled people ) but I don't get this... like, you want someone else to do automatically what you have to do ??

A film editing program ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As Stan mentioned I've created an app for MacOS which converts several formats to Graphic&Type XMLs.

In theory your special problem is covered. You can use "Untimed Text" to create a bunch of titles starting  every 5 seconds.

The problem for me seems to be the "every 12 words" – how should punctuation or sentences be treated?

Anyway, if you prepare the text correctly you can use the app.

Link for the demo: http://www.spherico.com/filmtools/TitleExchange/PTI/ug/pti.dmg

Andreas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines