• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GoPro Hero 8 GPS data (telemetry) - how to include in exported video file?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New user of PP (Version 14.2.0, Build 47) and GoPro Hero 8.  I am able to work with GoPro Hero 8 video clips inside PP without issue, but can't figure-out how to include source GPS data in the exported file.  I don't need to view this data in PP or manipulate it in any way, just need for the final output to include the data as was recorded in the source file.  I've used a telemetry extractor (https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free/) to verify that my input file contains telemetry, when I use same to examine my output file it doesn't find any.  I've tried a number of different output formats, none have worked to-date. What settings do I need to use in the Export Settings dialog to passthrough this GPS data during rendering?  Ideally I'd like to output in MP4 but at this point just need it to work.  Thank you in advance for any suggestions / advice.

TOPICS
Export , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Pr cannot pass the data and the forum is minimal monitored by staff (they do that in their free time)

You can make a feature request here which is monitored by staff.

Premiere Pro: Hot (1864 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dont think you can do this is Premiere.but found this: (not realy an aswer to your question).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajDYH_1gUsU&feature=youtu.be

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Ann for the quick response!  I would love to try to visualize sensor data in AE, looks really nice and intuitive.  Gotta figure out how to get the telemetry data to pass through Premiere firstly though. Hoping there's someone who has blazed this trail ahead of me.  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, is anyone at Adobe able to help here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at my YT channel, Get Out With Glen.  This video is a good example:  https://youtu.be/fKYGP3G89h4 

I have attached GPS data visualization to my video through a stepwise process.  The final video can have many different guages to visualize your sensor data, depending on what you want for your final product.  I mostly use Altitude, Map, and Percent grade on my videos, but there are many other options.

My process doesn't actually pull the GPS data through the final video, but rather renders the sensor data onto the video.  So, the final product shows the sensors, but it's still just an MP4 video.  To change the sensors, you would need to go back to step 4 with your original video and data to render a new version.

1)  Record my activity with an app like Strava, Map My Run, or a Garmin, etc., at the same time as I'm recording the video.

a)  I suppose you could use goprotelemetryextractor to get the same data directly from your video files, as I looked into doing just a week ago.  The paid version would do nicely, but that's a pretty big price tag.  My method is working for what I want to do, for free, so I only explored goprotelemetryextractor for an afternoon before going back to this process.

2)  Export the data from the app (or directly from the video using telemetryextractor) as a GPX file.

3)  Use PrPro to create the video.

4)  Import both the video and the GPX file into a free program called Dashware:  http://www.dashware.net/

a)  Dashware can accept many different types of telemetry data, not just GPX.

b)  The guy who built Dashware stopped it's development a long time ago and hired on to GoPro to work on their Telemetry team, but he left us with a pretty nice product.

c)  There are several other programs you can find online that do the exact same thing, but they cost money, so I haven't tried them.  But they may have features you like.  One such is at http://racerender.com/Products/index.html

5)  Whichever program you use, use the Gauges to sync your data with your video.

6)  When you're happy with the project, render that video.

You might notice in my sample video I referred you to, I have an overview of the activity mapped before the video begins.  That's through an app called Relive.  It only produces the kind of map you see there with a few tweeks you can apply, but my viewers like to see that overview before getting going on their treadmill or indoor bike trainer, So I use the GPX data I extracted through Strava to create that map in Relive, as well.

Again, no one else is going to be extracting GPS data from your final video, because it doesn't actually come through - only the visualization is expressed through the guages you applied, both in Dashware, RaceRender, and Relive.

I hope that gets you closer to your final goal!

Glen Stowers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Glen, thank you for taking the time to provide a thorough suggestion!  My use-case is that I'm recording video of bicycle rides, which I'm then editing to remove rest stops, traffic lights, etc..  I then upload the video to Rouvy AR for others to "ride" virtually on indoor bicycle trainers.  The video files are created by a Hero 8 GoPro camera, which embeds GPS track data in a stream within the video container.  If  PP could just maintain this stream throughout editing the resulting video file would contain an edited GPS track which is 100% aligned with the resulting video.  As it doesn't, I end-up having to record a GPS track on a separate device (Garmin bicycle computer) and upload the track in parallel with the video file.  As I don't have an easy way to align the GPS track with the video (would involve removing the same segments of GPS track that were removed from the video track) the GPS track data doesn't sync accurately with the video, beginning at time of first video edit and getting worse with each subsequent edit.  This matters as the GPS track is used by Rouvy AR to determine elevation, which in turn increases / decreases resistance set on the bicycle trainer.  So video of riding uphill causes the resistance in increase, while riding downhill results in a decrease in resistance setting.  None of this is life-critical, of course; just disappointing and surprising that Adobe can't ingest the stream and cut inline with the video stream.  It's surprising as these cameras appear to be used for a good bit of professional shooting as well and I would imagine that telemetry data would be quite valuable.  Hopefully we'll see either progress or advice regarding future capability in this area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Governal.

I understand exactly what you are trying to do. I'm a cyclist myself and
have looked into the Rouvy arena with my videos. Unfortunately, you are
right about Adobe. There isn't a way to push the gps data through with the
video. I would think they would have jumped into this area by now.

Dashware is the same. It produces a video with gauge overlays, but the
gauges are just part of the final video without GPS data attached.
Furthermore, you can't edit the video in Dashware and the final product is
of much lower quality than we would like. If you edited either the GPS
data or the video before importing them, it creates problems with video and
gauges being out of sync.

I'm still exploring some options. If I figure this out, I'll make sure to
reply again to this post.

Respectfully,

Glen Stowers
Science Teacher
Ferguson High School

[edited by mod, personal info deleted, please turn off anti virus message]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again Glen.  I have a buddy who uses command-line FFMPEG to truncate files and slap them together, apparently this can be done in a way that maintains the GPS files.  It's rather ugly though, would be nice to be able to use PP for the purpose.  Shout if you figure anything out, I'll do same.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Adobe, can anyone help to answer this question?  Thank you in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an user to user forum.

The answer is no, cannot do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Ann.  To clarify, do you mean that the software can't passthrough the GPS data, or that Adobe doesn't monitor this board?  Appreciate your help in resolving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pr cannot pass the data and the forum is minimal monitored by staff (they do that in their free time)

You can make a feature request here which is monitored by staff.

Premiere Pro: Hot (1864 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very helpful - thank you Ann!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello governal, 

Thank you for your interesting question. I think what you want to do is not really possible as Ann said, so please file that feature request. Once you do, please let us know the link so we can all upvote it, perhaps give it some traction. Please also do so on the After Effects request link so that your request will be funneled there, as well. 

For now, I would think you need to send the data separately or use some non-Adobe tech to join the files after the fact. After Effects is the most data savvy application in the Creative Cloud set. You can import CSV or JSON data into the app, wire it up, and create animations based on data. See this doc.

Personally, I've been looking to use this data for business data, like animated graphs and charts, here at Adobe. I hope that this post serves as a hub for others looking to use data and video in Adobe Products. 

Thanks Again,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines