• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I convert a series of still images into a video?

Engaged ,
Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With my photo camera I took a number of still images (say, 200). Now I want to create a video from these still images.

How can I do this in a single operation?

I don't want to add each of the images to the sequence and to manually adjust the length of each on the timeline.

Your help is appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Are the images sequentially numbered (for example: 0001.jpg, 0002.jpg, etc . . . .)?

If so in Premiere Pro, go to the menu File > Import and navigate to the starting (lowest number) image and select it. Then check (click in) the check box for Image Sequence, then click the Import button.

Your image files will now be imported into Premiere as a single clip.

Place that clip on the timeline and right click on it. Choose Speed/Duration from the drop down menu and adjust the duration to get the speed th

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You work out how log you want each image to hold on screen for. eg 3 seconds each.

You work out what your frame rate is in your Sequence eg 25 fps.

25 fps x 3 seconds = 75 frames  for each image

Select all the images in the Bin and Modify Speed  Duration ( 75 frames / 3 seconds).

Automate to Sequence your selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, but I didn't understand what you have been writing. English is not my native tongue, you know.

Would you mind rephrasing and elaborating?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the images sequentially numbered (for example: 0001.jpg, 0002.jpg, etc . . . .)?

If so in Premiere Pro, go to the menu File > Import and navigate to the starting (lowest number) image and select it. Then check (click in) the check box for Image Sequence, then click the Import button.

Your image files will now be imported into Premiere as a single clip.

Place that clip on the timeline and right click on it. Choose Speed/Duration from the drop down menu and adjust the duration to get the speed that you want the images to play at.

Depending on the horsepower of your computer, you will likely have to render the clip on the timeline to see real time playback.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for helping me on this!

I tried to reproduce your suggestion but hit an issue:

I deleted one of the files due to bad quality, so that one sequence number is missing. Using your suggestion, PP only imports images up to the missing image.

How would I set a fixed range of images to import?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use renamer application. For example, IrfanView is a great FREE tool for batch photo editing including renaming.

If you use Adobe Lightroom, you can auto rename when exporting. Just select an option "custom name - sequence".

Another solution - something weird, but working. You don't need any extra tools. Just import all the photos sequentially, selecting all FROM THE FIRST, then put them in a sequence, that will contain this huge array of photos and then create a sequence from this sequence. You will have one single object on your timeline which you can stretch, cut or resize.

Hope this helped. Enjoy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome answer! Thanks!

One bug I noticed in PP: When you change the default still image insertion length, the new value does not get applied until you restart PP:

Preferences.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that preference sets the default duration for images that are to be imported, and if changed does not change the duration of any images already imported - but will be the default duration for any images imported after the preference change.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh, I see.

So the duration is stored along with the image sequence. I believed it was individually set when inserting the images into a sequence.

Thanks for enlightening me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am using Premiere Pro 2020 on an iMac. I have seen this solution (for creating an image sequence from frames) but have had no luck in replicating it. I start a new project and then I go to Premiere Pro-> Preferences->Timeline and make sure that the Still Image default duration is set to 8 frames. I then import from a directory containing the following image files: Image000000.jpg, Image000016.jpg, Image000032.jpg, and so on. These files clearly are in sequence when I display the files in the directory sorted by name. When I click on Image000000.jpg as part of the import process,  there is an Options button at the bottom. Clicking the Options button brings up "Image Sequence" which is checked. I then Import but it imports only Image000000.jpg and does not create a video clip. I guess I am not following the sequence requirements. Do the file names have to be the sequence 1, 2, 3... or is it sufficient to have the files in sorted order?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines