Highlighted

How can one use the razor tool to cut caption?

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried cutting my captions, but unfortunately, after I cut and extend them, subtitles from the original caption begin to show. If I delete them, they are deleted from the next resulting caption as well. How can I avoid this problem?

Many thanks to whomever has the solution.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Stan Jones | Adobe Community Professional

You can't really cut a caption stream the way you would a video clip. The whole caption stream is always there.

And a disadvantage of using more than one stream for Open Captions is that you can't put them together for export as .srt. If you are just  burning in, no problem.

One strategy would be to duplicate the caption stream in project panel. Select the new stream and, in the caption panel, select/shift click to select the ones you want to delete, and click the "minus" icon to delete. (Delete key doesn't do it.)

If you don't really need to split it, but move things apart, or insert, here was a great bit of info:

"If you hold cmd/control while dragging out the end of a caption it ripple shifts all the captions after it. So you can do this for the size space you need then bring the one caption back down to size and insert the new captions in the space."

You might need to drag out the end of the caption stream on the timeline when you do this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How can one use the razor tool to cut caption?

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried cutting my captions, but unfortunately, after I cut and extend them, subtitles from the original caption begin to show. If I delete them, they are deleted from the next resulting caption as well. How can I avoid this problem?

Many thanks to whomever has the solution.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Stan Jones | Adobe Community Professional

You can't really cut a caption stream the way you would a video clip. The whole caption stream is always there.

And a disadvantage of using more than one stream for Open Captions is that you can't put them together for export as .srt. If you are just  burning in, no problem.

One strategy would be to duplicate the caption stream in project panel. Select the new stream and, in the caption panel, select/shift click to select the ones you want to delete, and click the "minus" icon to delete. (Delete key doesn't do it.)

If you don't really need to split it, but move things apart, or insert, here was a great bit of info:

"If you hold cmd/control while dragging out the end of a caption it ripple shifts all the captions after it. So you can do this for the size space you need then bring the one caption back down to size and insert the new captions in the space."

You might need to drag out the end of the caption stream on the timeline when you do this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 25, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using open captions?

It is better to adjust the timing and duration of each cation using it's own In & Out rather than cutting up the caption clip. Make one large captios clip for the whole duration of your sequence and then adjust each caption's in and out to put them where you want.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2018 2
Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2018 0
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why can't you ?  this would be so much easier that way. Do you know how select multiple captions to be able to move them around within the captions clip ?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 26, 2018 0
Dec 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just make your "captions" as titles using legacy titles or the essential graphics. Move them anyway you want! But then they are not "captions" if that is what you need for "closed captions" or an srt for youtube etc.

For caption streams, it would be a feature request. Otherwise, they just don't work that way.

Now it is true, you might be able to do that with closed captions, since you can export a sidecar (srt and some others) when exporting. Open caption won't, and has to be exported from the project bin, where the captions are still in their same stream. You are limited on the style elements. You can't drag out (extend the length) of cut elements as noted above - the other captions in the stream are still there.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 26, 2018 0
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You, sir Stan Jones are a genius! You saved me hours, if not days, of work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2020 0
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eduardo, thank you. But not only am I not a genius, I need to update the information in this thread!

I discovered about a year after this was written, that PR has the ability to export Open Caption streams that are on a single layer in a sequence to a sidecar file. And the timecodes will be what is in the sequence, not what is in the single or multiple srt (or whatever) files the captions started from.

Just select the SEQUENCE in the Project Panel, then File -> Export -> Captions.

The ripple update also works, but this adds some additional, and very powerful, options.

Also, as of PR 2020, you can get this same type of sidecar from Open Captions when using File -> Export -> Media and selecting the Caption tab.

Stan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan,

I cut and moved around my captions and created a nest of all of them too. And then cut and moved them around some more. Is this going to put the timecode out of wack or will premiere know and adjust the timecode accordingly. I've exported an .srt file and everything is in sync. But will the timecode be ok for uploading to online platforms, i.e. Amazon?

Asking for a friend. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 25, 2020 0