• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do i change frame size in adobe premiere pro?

New Here ,
Feb 09, 2016 Feb 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In cs5 i think you could just open a new project and go into advanced settings and change the frame size but in adobe premiere pro cc you can't?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 09, 2016 Feb 09, 2016

Select the sequence in the Project Window, go to Sequenc/Sequence Settings  and change the editing mode to Custom

Now you can change the frame size.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Hey folks –

We created a short tutorial to show you how to change the frame size in Premiere Pro 2020. This should clarify any questions you may have!

Hope this helps!

Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2016 Feb 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the sequence in the Project Window, go to Sequenc/Sequence Settings  and change the editing mode to Custom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Ann, this was super helpful with the exception of the locked aspect ratio. Do you know of a way to unlock? Need video that is 1500x500 for a web site. Appreciate...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

aspect ratio would be 1.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aspect ratio would NOT be 1.0. It would be 3.0.  1500 divided by 500 is 3.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope.

The setting is pixel aspect ratio not display aspect ratio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 20, 2017 Dec 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the question was about display aspect ratio, Ann. That's the setting I can't adjust. Width and height are locked together, so when I change one, the other changes too. I'm trying to output a very short (as in display height) but wide video file. The kind of letterbox format that would normally have black borders top and bottom, but without the black borders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you dont want the black borders which are present in the timeline you set the hight and width in the export settings and also crop the image in the source tab (left side)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha! Thanks, Ann. I must have been writing my much more long-winded version when you posted this. Appreciate the help here. Happy Christmas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The aspect ratio is only locked in the preview section of sequence settings for me. In CC 2017, if I adjust the sequence settings and select 'Custom', I can set any size I want under the 'Video' section.

With a new sequence set up in this way I can pull down my clips as normal, but I do need to scale them or accept the cropping that results.

My challenge was to find a way of outputting a video that had been created in a 16:9 frame, using cropping to mask the top and bottom portions of the frame. By outputting to 16:9 I got black bars top and bottom. The client asked for these to be removed and I did this at the output stage.

With my 16:9 timeline selected, with its black bars, I went to 'Export/Media'. In the Export Settings box I went to 'source' and clicked on the cropping tool. I dragged the top and bottom edges to the edges of the black bars, effectively selecting only video content. The cropping tool told me the new dimensions of the frame and I used this information to set the output dimensions on the right.

I hope this helps people. I landed on this page in the quest to solve this problem and managed it thanks to the previous posts on here. Perhaps this addition will make it more useful for people with the same challenge as me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do need to scale them or accept the cropping that results.

If it was framed properly during filming, you'd accept the cropping.

If it was not properly framed for the desired aspect, you'd have to use the Motion effect to reframe many of the shots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Jim. The sequence was to be used as background to a web page and the clips were close-ups of machinery pulled from a corporate documentary. It needed a bit of adjustment to pull the most dynamic part into the frame, but not much.

https://youtu.be/UCesgxZvQTg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Martyn Moore!   Thank you for your explanation to find the needed crop size.  This is especially useful since Premiere has no rulers.

I would only add to describe where the "source" item is in the export media window.  It is one of the two tabs at the top left above your video preview.  Once clicking the "source" tab the crop tool appears right below it.  While adjusting the crops on each side manually it will report the pixel width.  So very helpful.  Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2017 Sep 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Sequence Settings option is grey, it cant be selected. Do you know how can I change this?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change the Editing Mode to Custom:

Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 2.22.20 PM.png

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

awesome, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its already on custom which is also not highlighted even that not able to change frame size pls help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 13, 2018 May 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Ann+Bens  wrote

This worked for me, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to create an MP4 video of this size: 13440x2160 pixels

But I cannot produce a video with these dimensions. Adobe Premiere Pro documentation states: The maximum sequence frame size in pixels is 10240x8192. If you attempt to set one of the Frame Size dimensions higher than this limit in the Sequence Settings dialog box, Premiere Pro resets the value to the maximum.

13440 pixels is larger than the maximum setting allowed.

Is there some way around this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.

This is a rather massive framesize, incredibly wide ... so I'm wondering at the use. Intrigued, shall we say ... 😉

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s for art displayed in a surround environment, 180 degrees semi circular.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kinda thought it would be something like that. Can that system upscale? I know most TVs do a better upscale job than most NLEs do ... and if so, make it to the largest width pixel dimension Pr goes to, and scale the width pixels accordingly.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2022 Sep 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil.

I was able to change to custom settings and get the aspect ratio I wanted, but it won't let me export the file as an MP4 with those settings. Any tips?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 18, 2022 Sep 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Premiere does strictly follow the "standard" protocol for such things.

I know of users who create ProRes, DNx, or Cineform "master" files from Premiere.

Then use Shutter Encoder, Handbrake, or ffmpeg to create their H.264 deliverables.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 13, 2018 May 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most advisable thing would be if you can update Premiere, in old versions, depending on the chosen preset, some options were blocked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines