Highlighted

How do I import an MKV file into Premiere Pro CS6?

New Here ,
May 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

You can't do that.  You'll have to convert it into a different format first.  If you search the forum you'll find several discussions about MKV files and Premiere Pro.

Jeff

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

New Here ,
May 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

You can't do that.  You'll have to convert it into a different format first.  If you search the forum you'll find several discussions about MKV files and Premiere Pro.

Jeff

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 30, 2013 0
LEGEND ,
May 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

Jeff

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 30, 2013 2
New Here ,
May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just convert MKV to a Premiere natively supported formats like MPEG-2. Some video converters like Brorsoft, Pavtube provide presets for Premiere.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 03, 2017 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 30, 2013 0
LEGEND ,
May 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use this to convert my oddball videos.  Works quite well.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/XviD4PSP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 30, 2013 0
New Here ,
May 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro CS6 doesn't support MKV formats. To import MKV to Premiere Pro CS6, a recommended solution is to convert MKV to AVI.

I've been reading so many different forums on how to convert MKV to AVI. Finally, I summarised three solutions:

First one: HandBrake . This tool is a free and open-source multi-threaded transcoding app. It supports nearly any videos including MKV format and has Mac version and Windows version.

Cons:

1. HandBrake is too professional to handle for most people;

2. It doesn't support MOV as output format.

Second one: there are many third party software which supports converting MKV to AVI. I just test one of them. It's professional yet easy to use and the service is excellent. And there is a step by step guide about how to use this tool .

Cons:

1. Most of them are not free.

Third one: Online-Converter . This kind of converter does a great job on file conversion.

Cons:

1. Like most online converters, the free version of this tool only allows you to convert videos smaller than 100MB. It's too small for video conversion;

2.Your MKV video should be upload to the internet to be converted. This means the risk of pravite information leak is possible.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 26, 2014 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Darn!  So let me make sure i get this... adobe supports AVI from... like the early 90s but doesnt support mkv which is .. newer and superior?  Ugh.  I HATE having to have multiple pieces of software to do the same thing installed

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 03, 2014 2
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Klepp0906,

If you would like this format to be supported in future versions of Premiere Pro, feel free to make a feature request: http://adobe.ly/feature_request

Thanks,

Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 08, 2014 1
Mentor ,
Jun 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin, following a question on a french Facebook page, I found out your thread (and answers) here, and wanted to know if this particular Feature request : To add support for .mkv or Matroska video format – Adobe video & audio apps  is useful (at the time you mentioned the feature request form, uservoice wasn't that big). And so far : Formats de fichier pris en charge par Premiere Pro mkv is not part of the read formats.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 04, 2019 0