Highlighted

iPhone XS footage doesn't play back properly in Premiere Pro CC 2019

Participant ,
Dec 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With iPhone XS Max footage (1080p 30fps), it plays back full red frames randomly, or it plays with glitches (repeats parts throughout clip) and also randomly slows the audio down on non-slowmo footage.. The footage is .mov HEVC (h.265).

Premiere Pro says it supports h.265 files now in the latest releases, but it's a no go with iPhone XS h.265 footage.

I tried encoding them to h.264 and it didn't help, all that did was bake in the glitches...... Also tried the files on both my Macbook Pro and my Windows 10 PC. Same issue on both systems.

I'm running the latest version of Premiere Pro CC 2019 (13.0.2). My iPhone has been out for a few months now and this is CC 2019's 2nd update after the 2019 release..

Trying both automatic and original settings on my iPhone for compatibility; didn't help.

Why doesn't it work? How can I fix it? Unable to finish an edit right now.

Also, other bugs I've noticed in 13.0.2:

1. Selecting footage while zoomed out a bit, then trying to drag and snap it to other clips earlier in the timeline doesn't snap properly. It leaves 1 frame of black, making me have to zoom in and drag it again, defeating the point of the snap tool.
  2. Sometimes if you cut a clip in half for example, then on the 2nd new clip, use the rate stretch tool and speed up the second portion, it adds 1 previous frame at the start of the second portion. So I have to zoom in, and delete one frame from the beginning of the second part that rate stretch was used on, in order for it to playback without the extra frame.
  3. Sometimes when using certain Luts I've added to Premiere, an error message pops up (Low level exception) and then it won't playback anything; I then have to restart Premiere for it to work again.
Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Ann Bens | Adobe Community Professional

Premiere 2019: glitchy, Premiere 2018:perfect.

So test it on 2018, if all goes well use that version instead.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

iPhone XS footage doesn't play back properly in Premiere Pro CC 2019

Participant ,
Dec 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With iPhone XS Max footage (1080p 30fps), it plays back full red frames randomly, or it plays with glitches (repeats parts throughout clip) and also randomly slows the audio down on non-slowmo footage.. The footage is .mov HEVC (h.265).

Premiere Pro says it supports h.265 files now in the latest releases, but it's a no go with iPhone XS h.265 footage.

I tried encoding them to h.264 and it didn't help, all that did was bake in the glitches...... Also tried the files on both my Macbook Pro and my Windows 10 PC. Same issue on both systems.

I'm running the latest version of Premiere Pro CC 2019 (13.0.2). My iPhone has been out for a few months now and this is CC 2019's 2nd update after the 2019 release..

Trying both automatic and original settings on my iPhone for compatibility; didn't help.

Why doesn't it work? How can I fix it? Unable to finish an edit right now.

Also, other bugs I've noticed in 13.0.2:

1. Selecting footage while zoomed out a bit, then trying to drag and snap it to other clips earlier in the timeline doesn't snap properly. It leaves 1 frame of black, making me have to zoom in and drag it again, defeating the point of the snap tool.
  2. Sometimes if you cut a clip in half for example, then on the 2nd new clip, use the rate stretch tool and speed up the second portion, it adds 1 previous frame at the start of the second portion. So I have to zoom in, and delete one frame from the beginning of the second part that rate stretch was used on, in order for it to playback without the extra frame.
  3. Sometimes when using certain Luts I've added to Premiere, an error message pops up (Low level exception) and then it won't playback anything; I then have to restart Premiere for it to work again.
Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Ann Bens | Adobe Community Professional

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 30, 2018 1
Participant ,
Dec 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Literally, the FREE program 'quicklook' on Windows 10 plays the files perfectly from explorer, but Premiere Pro CC, an expensive professional wordclass editing program does not work. After a bunch of troubleshooting, if you rename the .mov to .mp4, it will at least remove the all red frames, but the footage still glitches....

Maybe Premiere Pro CC 2025 will work without bugs?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 30, 2018 2
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are comparing apples with oranges.

Being able to play a file in a player is not the same as using it in a NLE such as Pr.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 31, 2018 0
Dec 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you upload a short clip to test.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 31, 2018 0
Participant ,
Dec 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Ann+Bens  wrote

You are comparing apples with oranges.

Being able to play a file in a player is not the same as using it in a NLE such as Pr.

You are correct that playing a video is different than editing, but the point I was trying to make was that a free program can play the files fine, and a paid program meant for video editing can't. It's just funny and sad.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 31, 2018 2
Participant ,
Dec 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you upload a short clip to test.

IMG_7847.MOV - Google Drive

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 31, 2018 0
Dec 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 31, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue with with ppro 2018

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 01, 2019 1
Participant ,
Jan 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From my experience editing big and small projects weekly for several months last year using Premiere 2018, it is very glitchy as well. I have it installed, but the same issue is there with HEVC footage. I do find 2019 13.0.2 more stable, but it still locks up, or does weird things in every session at some point, which is unacceptable for an expensive pro program, especially after its 2nd update.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 01, 2019 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Dec 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read Iphone 8 plus videos are giving me a problem on premiere pro and note the answer that is marked as correct

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 30, 2018 0
Participant ,
Dec 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately the first thing I tried was using media encoder to convert the footage to something else, but it baked in the glitches as mentioned in my first post.

I've found a work around. I downloaded the Splice app, then brought my vertical footage (making a video for instagram) into the app and put it all back to back and exported it to camera roll (All stitched together), then I transferred that new long file to my PC and it worked perfect. Just had to split up the clips again back in the editing.

If anyone is wondering, Handbrake doesn't export vertical (1080x1920) res files (I could be wrong, but I tried and couldnt figure it out) and Mpeg StreamClip crashed when I tried to convert the HEVC. Davinci Resolve can't see the videos, only the audio works and Windows Movie Maker can't open the files. (I tried many things.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 31, 2018 2
Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did the same thing and the same glitch happened to me with my footage its just replays one part of the video over and over!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 31, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with my  iPhone xs with footage (1080p 60).

the workaround was to reencode(handbrake or filmic pro) but huge job.

i tried many things(reset prefs , reimport,) ,but always same issue

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 31, 2018 1
Participant ,
Dec 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ro29595  wrote

I have the same issue with my  iPhone xs with footage (1080p 60).

the workaround was to reencode(handbrake or filmic pro) but huge job.

i tried many things(reset prefs , reimport,) ,but always same issue

Yea, I tried handbrake, but it doesn't work with vertical footage (1080x1920, instead of 1920x1080), so I couldn't get it to keep the vertical resolution in the output video settings.

Using the Splice app worked for converting the files on the iPhone, then transferring to PC.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 31, 2018 1
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until Adobe fixes this disappointing and frustrating glitch in editing HEVC video with Premiere Pro, I found a better workaround for this -- Even better than the Splice app (because that reduces the quality and resolution of the video) just use the built-in editor in iOS to convert your H.265 videos back to H.264 AFTER you have done the following:

1. On your iOS device, Go to Settings >> Camera >> Formats
  2. Select "Most Compatible"  (instead of High Efficiency)
  3. Now go back to the particular video you want to use, edit and trim (if you don't want to trim anything, do so very slightly so you can get the yellow editor scroller to pop up) and click Done to "Save as New Clip"
  4. This new clip will be in H.264 (not H.265/HEVC)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2019 0
Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to ask yourself do I really need 265 as it is difficult to edit It has the same image quality as 264 but smaller filesize,

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 17, 2019 0
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! let me try this

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 03, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Will Bartlett,

Sorry for the issues. Can you please file a bug here? Upgrade to Premiere Pro CC 2019 no longer supports HEVC h265 – Adobe video & audio apps

Thanks,

Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 03, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having this EXACT same issue (sans the part about the red bars) with footage shot on my iPhone X.

I have spent hours troubleshooting this and trying every workaround I can think of. Some of it seems like it's working and then the exact same glitchy-ness pops up again. My job is getting reeeally tired of the billable hours spent on this (maybe they should be sending the bill to Adobe?).

A permanent solution that doesn't involve me using an app to splice all my files together would be great. A solution where Adobe just fixes a known issue and I don't have to find a workaround would be even better. Reverting to an older version didn't solve the problem either.

Help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 24, 2019 0