• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

'Media Pending forever', unable to play video and Premiere keeps crashing.

Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2019 May 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated my Premiere Pro to the 2019 version (from the 2017 version) and it doesn't work at all.

I can import videos fine, although it seems like it takes longer then usual and I can open projects fine but I can't play any clips. It eather says 'Media Pending' or is just a black video. Trying to enable and unable it just crashes premiere and so does practically every other button, playing videos also doesn't work. I press space and nothing happens besides sometimes the 'play' button changes. But usually when I try to play the video, it just crashes. Cleaning my media cache didn't change anything eather.

HERE IS A VIDEO REPRESENTATION:

Premiere bug - YouTube

(Because i'm terrible at explaining things).

I have seen heaps of people say to 'reset your thumbnail bin' or something and I don't know what that is and I couldn't find any videos on how to do it. Somebody please help. I've also restarted my computer and completely reinstalled premiere with no success.

My GPU Is a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Hello Everybody! I have found a fix, that's unbelievably easy! thanks to Eric!!

When launching Premiere hold Shift+Alt to RESET YOUR PREFERENCES. You can release these keys once the splash screen opens. Once you launch Premiere, open a new project, open a sequence and put a video in your timeline. If it still hasn't worked, make another sequence and put another video in your timeline. Hopefully it works for you to!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2019 May 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please forgive me if this answer seems overly silly and obvious, but just in case you haven't, try and make sure that there isn't a better/updated driver for your graphics card.  I was having some extreme problems with the new premier, but it was because I was using a slightly older driver.  Do you use intel QuickSync?  If that is the case, also make sure you've got the most up to date intel graphics driver supported by your machine.

One thing I also just noticed this last week is that when you go to NVIDIA's page to check for drivers, you have the option to choose GAMING DRIVERS or CREATIVE DRIVERS...  I noticed when I switched to the creative drivers, things seem to be working a bit better as well.

I'm fairly new to Premier, so I'm doing a lot of catchup so again forgive me i'm saying really obvious things. I was wondering if maybe people were talking about resetting the preferences file?? I know that can sometimes help with a lot of probleems if you reset it.

I noticed that all your media had ? marks on them,  does that mean that there is a problem with premier not linking / finding the files correctly?  It just occured to me that if there was a linking problem to the asset files, that would certainly cause a problem with previews.

hope you get your issues resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My driver is up to date and I am currently using the creative driver.

I have never heard of 'intel QuickSync' and I don't think I use it.

I can't even get to the preferences tab because no matter what I click Premiere just crashes, which should not be happening. My computer is really strong and really new. I can easily run Photoshop and other Adobe apps its just Premiere. My PC Is built for gaming and it over-performs in that (getting over 200 frames regularly in fortnite), seeing that everything else works well it must be Premiere itself.

When I was asking a friend about it they said the same thing as you: "premiere not linking / finding files correctly". I really hope it isn't that. That's super annoying, especially seeing how expensive the program is. If this is a bug that's pretty ridiculous because currently I have no way of editing anything and am still paying for the full price.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, like Taverino and your other friend said, I'm really suspicious about the files possibly being mislinked.  I actually just had a similar thing happen to me while I was working.  Did you by any chance re-organize any of your video files and move them?  Do you have the files setup to be used as Proxies?

Luckily, a linking issue isn't super hard to solve, as long as you DO have all the files still somewhere!  Just go into your media browser importer window thingy (sorry, new heh) and try selecting all the media files with question marks and then right clicking and see if LINK MEDIA is an option that you can click.  If it is, click that thing, and a window browser will pop up.  Look for the ATTACH button, click that, and then browse to where you believe your files must be and click  SEARCH!  With luck, Premier will find all the files automatically for you, and you can just click OK.

And again, apologize if that was not any help, but worth a shot.

I'll be honest with you guys, as someone new to Premier and it being my first real experience with video editing it's really not making a great impression on me....  I'm not sure if it's something wrong with my computer (although their really shouldn't be, i dont experience much abnormal issues really) but I'm not sure the last time I had a session where I've gone more than an hour without the program crashing on me!  Ugh.  It's so frustrating.  So believe me you're not alone in having this program crash, it clearly has some stability issues.  It's surprising to me, because I've been a hardcore adobe photoshoip and illustrator user for over 20 years and i think they are great programs.

Ya know,  worst case scenario, if you really are dead in the water, you may try just opening a new project and re-importing your files.  Sometimes project files seem to get corrupted and they start making the program act real erratic. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, thanks for replying again eric.

I'm a really (really) messy editor and usually don't organise anything (which I was hoping to change when updating to the 2019 version) so no, I just find the file wherever it puts it and I haven't used any proxies.

I tried the linking idea 2 times and unfortunately it didn't work for me, first time it just crashed as soon as I right clicked on the clip and the second time the 'Link Media' button was greyed out. I personally don't think this would be the case, as a clip that can't find a file is usually red, but my files are blue on the timeline.

I've opened like 60 other (new) projects before making this post and tried but it doesn't work eather. :I

I also can agree with you, photoshop is  amazing. From moving onto it from 'Pixlr.com' (A Free online photoshop equivalent) photoshop is feature rich and works really well and fast. I have no clue how to use Illustrator but it looks good, haha.

Also I would just like to note, my Task Manager is saying that Premiere is using no CPU (Or sometimes-at most 0.6) But using like 1300 MB For my 'Memory'. This sounds like a problem but I have no clue about computer specs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the complete computer specs, including hard drives, (how many, what kind, what is on each, and how full)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2019 May 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q Design, 8th Gen Intel Core, i7-8750H Processor, 6 Cores/12 Threads, up to 4.1Ghz. I'm on a Razer Blade 15 Laptop.

I don't know what any of that means but that's just what it says on my laptop, if you need any more information tell me how I actually can find it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be a long shot, but I had a very similar problem that was the result of something stupid I did. I had footage on my memory card that I copied to the hard disk. When I imported the footage into Premiere, I mistakely linked to the files from the memory card. Next time I started up Premiere, the card was no longer mounted so Premiere couldn't find the media. Rather than give me some kind useful error message, it just sat there with "media pending". Footage on the memory card rather than the hard disk could also explain the slowness you observed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It very much could be this because my Dad was messing around with Premiere and a separate drive thing (so my computer runs faster) a few days ago. But all of the footage i'm trying to edit now is new, was never put into a drive and was recorded well after he was messing around with the drives. This is really annoying, hopefully a fix comes soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I had this once before and it was solved by importing that project file in to a new project. Something was just corrupt in there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2019 May 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I've already tried this a lot of times and it doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2019 Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

didn't work for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everybody! I have found a fix, that's unbelievably easy! thanks to Eric!!

When launching Premiere hold Shift+Alt to RESET YOUR PREFERENCES. You can release these keys once the splash screen opens. Once you launch Premiere, open a new project, open a sequence and put a video in your timeline. If it still hasn't worked, make another sequence and put another video in your timeline. Hopefully it works for you to!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didnt work for me. Everything is still pending. I"m going back to 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post is from CC2014, blake. The solutions here probably won't apply. Possible to create a new post with system and media details? 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was following this other post when I saw the solution in this post. Is there a fix?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/motion-graphics-problem-and-premiere-pro-202...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is no alt key on my computer. How the heck do I make this work then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2019 Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's not workin for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines