Highlighted

Mysterious black lines at bottom of HD footage

Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a strange issue and despite doing all the regular setting changes I can't fix it.

I have a 1080 HD project with various types of HD footage, a Canon 5D, a drone and a gopro. Recently I updated the project to a newer version of premier.

On doing this update the drone and gopro footage all fill the sequence frame but the 5D footage, whilst the clip settings fill the frame, is squashed up so that the bottom few lines of pixels inside the bounding box are black. When I review the clip outside of premier there are no lines at the bottom of the footage. I've checked and there are no pixels missing from the footage, more that the footage aspect ratio has been changed and black lines added to the bottom of the footage.

Here's a screengrab of the black lines at the bottom, including the bounding box.

Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 10.30.24.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 10.30.02.png

Here are the transform settings of this clip:

Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 10.30.10.png

Here's how the gopro footage sits, no black lines.

Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 10.31.08.png

Things i've tried in an attempt to fix this:

-- I opened this project on a brand new mac and still the problem persists.

-- I imported the footage (5D and gopro) onto a new mac and the problem was gone.

-- I've created a new project on my version of premier and the problem is still there.

-- The black lines are visible in the viewer as well as in the sequence so it seems not to be a sequence setting, but the way premier is treating it.

-- Unlinking and relinking the media

-- re-rendering

-- Lines appear on export

If anyone has any ideas, this would be really helpful!
All the best,Harry

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Mysterious black lines at bottom of HD footage

Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a strange issue and despite doing all the regular setting changes I can't fix it.

I have a 1080 HD project with various types of HD footage, a Canon 5D, a drone and a gopro. Recently I updated the project to a newer version of premier.

On doing this update the drone and gopro footage all fill the sequence frame but the 5D footage, whilst the clip settings fill the frame, is squashed up so that the bottom few lines of pixels inside the bounding box are black. When I review the clip outside of premier there are no lines at the bottom of the footage. I've checked and there are no pixels missing from the footage, more that the footage aspect ratio has been changed and black lines added to the bottom of the footage.

Here's a screengrab of the black lines at the bottom, including the bounding box.

Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 10.30.24.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 10.30.02.png

Here are the transform settings of this clip:

Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 10.30.10.png

Here's how the gopro footage sits, no black lines.

Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 10.31.08.png

Things i've tried in an attempt to fix this:

-- I opened this project on a brand new mac and still the problem persists.

-- I imported the footage (5D and gopro) onto a new mac and the problem was gone.

-- I've created a new project on my version of premier and the problem is still there.

-- The black lines are visible in the viewer as well as in the sequence so it seems not to be a sequence setting, but the way premier is treating it.

-- Unlinking and relinking the media

-- re-rendering

-- Lines appear on export

If anyone has any ideas, this would be really helpful!
All the best,Harry

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 03, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no black line on your footage: it means the footage is larger then the HD frame.

The blue line represents the edge of your footage not the frame.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ann,
To make the problem clearer i've overlaid the gopro (that's sitting correctly) on the right here.

Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 10.58.15.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2018 0
Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah now its clear to see.

Is this only at the bottom or also at the top?

Can you upload a short clip to test?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's only at the bottom. Here's an export:

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2018 0
Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No i would like an original.

Upload to dropbox or simular.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2018 0
Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested it in 2019, 2018, cs6, AE 2019, vlc and potplayer and they all show the black line....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh sorry, that was an exported clip. Here is an original shot from the rushes...

Dropbox - Premier Rushes - Simplify your life

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2018 0
Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like a bug. See this post from Tim Kurkoski in AE Forum.

Re: black bar appeared on composition and footage – bug in cc2019?

You noted the Canon, and you must be on a Mac? He describes a workaround for now...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2018 0
Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How come I see it in vlc and potplayer on windows.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann, that's not the rushes clip, that's the exported clip. You need to download the rushes clip from the new dropbox link.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2018 0
Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh i see.

Guess what no black bar in 2019 with cuda on.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh, is that on a PC? Perhaps it's a mac only problem?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2018 0
Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah i will check.

No black bar with Open CL.

Might want to try this:

Delete clip from project

trash media cache

rename top folder and import again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2018 0
Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is Mac only. I do not pretend to understand what Tim is addressing in the link I gave. He is referring to H.264 acceleration?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 03, 2018 0