• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RAM usage spikes up right after opening project!

Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am desperate.

I was working on a project with no problems at all, despite the project size being pretty big (~350mb). It was working fine. Then out of nowwhere, things went sour.

Now when I open the project, it is fine for a couple of seconds. Then I can slowly see the RAM usage increasing over a 1 minute period, and then fluctuating between 90-98%. I can't do anything, not even saving the project without it sending Premiere Pro crashing. 

I have tried sooo many things already. 

-First thing I had to do was re-install some .Dll files that had gone missing after the first Premiere crash and prevented me from even opening the project in the first place.

-Ran a disk check CHKDSK. It found some errors but said it fixed them. No difference.

-Uninstalled premiere pro

-Cleaner tool for premiere pro

-Updated Premiere to the latest version

-When I re-opened this project with the latest version... it worked! A miracle! Then I closed premiere, and when I came back a couple of hours later and re-opened it, the problem was back. 

-I had a repetitive warning message that Premiere was missing the Adobe Devanagiri font. Installed it, no difference.

-As soon as I opened the project, I deleted the entire sequence I was working on to see if there was something there (a video file, an effect, a color correction) which was the cause of all this problem. No difference.

-Changed the allocated RAM in preferences. No difference.

-Cleared media cache. No difference.

-Reset all preferences. No difference.

-Imported the project into a new project. No difference.

One weird thing: I have been working on this project for a lonnngg time, and the project size increased, but gradually over a year (around 350mb). Between yesterday and today, however, I re-opened the project (which had to be conformed to the newest premiere pro version (14), and the project size blew up to ~420mb! Without me making a single change! What could be the cause of that?

Another important detail: other premiere pro projects on this same computer work completely fine, even large ones. 

I don't know what to do, this computer is a beast and clearly the issue is not enough computing power because the CPU and GPU are practically unused during all this (GPU is either at 0 or 3%0), but the RAM is at 98%. 

I would like to contact Adobe Support and have someone on their team give a look at it remotely, but I can't even get in touch with them because I'm a student and we're supposed to have an admin support for our school but they're not much help.

Please help!

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

I have no AE comps in the timeline.

The problem is solved now but without really any answer on how or why.

I uninstalled everything with Adobe cleaner, re-installed with the newest version and it worked for one session. 

Next morning I wake up and the problem is back, exact same thing. 

Tried many more solutions, but then I had to delete everything again with the CC cleaner tool, re-downloaded the old version of premiere that I had (13.5), and upon opening the new project I closed every open timel

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

embed.jpg

...so we dont have to download unknown files: we help you, you help us. Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, thank you!

premierep.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so are you using After Effects comps in the timeline?  Usually, I render out AE comps in AE and replace the comps in the timeline...  Realize it shouldn't be necessary, but trying to track down the issues.  If you are using AE comps, do you have the appropriate AE projects open before you launch the premiere project.  

Have you tried removing your media drive(s) before you launch the premiere project?  Just wondering if there are some issues with your media.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have no AE comps in the timeline.

The problem is solved now but without really any answer on how or why.

I uninstalled everything with Adobe cleaner, re-installed with the newest version and it worked for one session. 

Next morning I wake up and the problem is back, exact same thing. 

Tried many more solutions, but then I had to delete everything again with the CC cleaner tool, re-downloaded the old version of premiere that I had (13.5), and upon opening the new project I closed every open timeline and bin.

Works for now, but still no idea what happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines