• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shadows and blacks render blocky and pixelated after export

New Here ,
May 10, 2020 May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isnt a pressing issue for me but it is something that is deeply bothering me from time to time. When exporting certain shots where there is a fair amount of shadow the darker areas seem to be compressed in a strange way causing blocky artefacts (image attached) i've made sure i'm not clipping blacks in grading etc and am exporting CBR 15 is this something im doing wrong in camera? (BMPCC4k) the area in question in case it is not so clear is surrounding the circlar dials to the left of frame. Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks 

query.PNG

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you getting the artifacts on reimporting into Premiere? Or when viewing in external players on your machine?

What is your GPU and Monitor setup? How calibrated?

It might be useful if you could share a short clip so I could check it on my studio rig.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what confuses me is the 'after export' part of problem... like, it looked great on timeline but then after export ( to some unknown format from some unknown format ) it looks like the still shot.

On my junky laptop it looks like ( I use bmpcc 4k camera with Braw ( slightly higher than middle of options via compression vs. frame rate and dimension ) a really high ISO ( getting noisey and pushed ) and a raised Ylift to get detail into closed blacks and then mismanaging the gamma ( still pushing it ).

I think the poster just has to live with more closed black or else spend a TON of time on it for slightly better result.

The confusing thing is that ( with calibrated primary and secondaray monitors, and decent reference video monitor ) he should be seeing it BEFORE export.

??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

anyway, on my junk laptop, the only black I see is the face of the wrist watch. It's pretty looking mostly on the right half of frame, and then gets washed out a little bit in middle and left frame... that's the gist of it on my laptop. It doesn't kill me to look at it... it isn't HORRIBLE. Looks kinda nice cause my first focus is on the hand.

exporting from 4k to full HD adds a slight 'black' value to stuff, sometimes. Like enlarging a photo negative in the old days of film, if you make a 4x5 it is often slightly darker than an 8x10. Just cause it's smaller and is compacting the tones a tiny bit more into a smaller space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines