• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Should I use VBR or CBR encoding for my OBS CQP recordings?

New Here ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys! I recently started a YT channel and I'm aiming for high quality (almost lossless), 60 fps footage. I'm using OBS Studio to record my gameplay. In OBS I'm encoding with New NVENC, CQP Rate Control at level 16 and the Max Quality preset. Now I have no idea what the CQP Rate Control Levels translate to to VBR or CPR inside Premiere Pro, and I have no idea which one of them to use either. If VBR should I use 2-pass encoding?

Could someone shine some light on how I should be exporting to achieve a high quality, 60 fps export based on my OBS CQ level?

TOPICS
Export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know it has been almost a year but hopefully this helps.

YouTube does it's own render on all videos you upload, so it would be best to use whatever they reccomend. I have noticed that the big quality difference comes from resolution rather than bit rate. If you upload a video at 1080p 60fps and use a 50mbs bit rate it will look blocky but if you just up the resolution to 4k 60fps it will look way better, even at the same 50mbs. 

Also, 2-pass VBR is great for your own archives, but again YouTube will just render it again in it's own encoder so you are just burning time using it for YouTube. Personally I always try to render whatever I do at 4k with a bit rate of 60mbs. After that the rate of return is almost not noticable on YouTube. 

As for OBS, if you are using CQP to record footage then keep in mind that the smaller the number the better the quality. So 0 would be highest possible quality and 60 would be the worst quality ever. 14 is near lossless, after that it is more details for any footage you want to zoom in on and not have it blocky. I use 14, and always turn off Max Quality settings. Again, that is almost placebo effect, it is just for footage you will be zooming in on. If you are going to be doing insane amounts of editing then go for it, but if you are like me and just recording game footage then just use the quality setting, CQP at 14 or 18. No look ahead or phyco tuning either, same thing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines