• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Suddenly, .gif files not importing into Premiere Pro CC 2017

New Here ,
Sep 24, 2017 Sep 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As in, the past two days I have not been able to import an animated .gif file into PP.

I am making frame animations in Photoshop CC 2017 and attempting to import those into Premiere Pro CC 2017.

I save my animations like so:

file > export > save for web (legacy)

And in Premiere Pro I have (until recently) been able to import these animations through the media browser. When I have them in my Project cache I am able to 'make new sequence from clip' and the animation plays fine.

However within the past two days I have been getting the 'unsupported format or damaged file' error message when importing .gifs

The kicker: I only get this message for any .gifs I have made within the past two days. The animations I've made before then import same as before.

I have not changed any settings in Photoshop or Premiere Pro.

I can always change my workflow, but I NEED to know why my system has failed me so miserably and so suddenly with no apparent changes made to it.

Thank you for any help!

Zoë

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 25, 2017 Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've no experience editing with animated .gif's, so I can't help at all on the "why".  I can only recommend not letting that question hold you up.  Choose a different format, get the work done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and nothing was fixing it. Just go back into Photoshop, go to the timeline window where your GIF is laid out and click the bottom left button that turns it into a video time line. Then click that same button again and it will pop up with a warning dialogue that will tell you its converting it back to a frame animation. ReExport it and it should work now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2018 Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked Thanks for help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you sooo much ❤️ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is amazing thank you! i was struggling for so much! how did you even figure this out?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I signed in my adobe account just to say you are the best for this answer it was driving me crazy thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YOU SAVED MY LIFE!!! THANK YOU 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is 2021 and I am using the most current version of Premier Pro and Photoshop. I was unable to import GIFs suddenly....THIS SAVED MY PROJECT! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2023 Mar 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This issue is still occuring and your answer has helped me out. Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. however it's a downloaded gif , so I cant edit it. helpp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can open (and edit) your gif in Photoshop regardless of whether you downloaded it or made it yourself. Open it as you would any other file and then you can follow the steps misaeld83626140 suggested. To enable the Timeline view, go to Window > Timeline. If you click the hamburger menu on the top right of the timeline panel you'll see an option called "Convert to Video Timeline."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines