• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why Does Copy And Paste In Premiere Pro perform so poorly?

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2012 Oct 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please explain why you can't copy and paste footage (audio and/or video) into a chosen track on a sequence? It almost always pastes into a track with footage already there overlapping footage. It can't paste into a new track??? I thought this is simple logic.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 15, 2012 Oct 15, 2012

Same way i explained in first post, make sure the track is selected.

Select clip,

Crtl+C,

Switch sequence,

Select track, place playhead in desired position

Ctrl+V (or Ctrl+Shift+V for insert).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Hey there – you might have luck by learning about track targeting! If I'm not paying attention to my targets, my timeline gets real messy real quick. 

Hope this helps!

Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

FIXED my issue.  I was pasting a copied clip from another sequence, and although I had the track toggeled to the correct video track I wanted it to go, it would paste to the same track assignment from the original sequence. if I clicked paste from the edit drop down menu it would paste to the correctly assigned track, but using ctrl+v it would go to the original assigned track from the original sequence. I went to drop down menu EDIT >keyboard shortcuts> when the keyboard menu opens highlight th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can paste in any track you want, make sure the track is selected first before you paste.

Or Alt drag to any track without selecting the track first or even to a new track.

alt dragging.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2016 Aug 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just changed my life!! I would always copy (command + c) and scroll all the way to the right, at the end of my timeline and then paste (command + v) and then drag it up to the track I wanted and over back to the left to where my sequence is taking place. This literally is a life-saver and time changer!! THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thnx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you explain how you select the track you want to paste to? I'm using premiere pro 2020 and there is no track name I can click on to select it. I see "V1" or "V2" or "V3" on the left of the timeline but clicking them doesn't allow me to paste there directly... thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two "target" controls on the left side of the header block. The left one is for "Source" patching, in other words things coming from the Source monitor or a bin. An audio or video track with a blue block is 'active', gray/charcoal is not.

The right set is for Track targeting. And again, when blue, is 'active' or the track that Premiere will default to using if it is the only blue track. If you have several blue track targets, then ... media can go anywhere. In my example below, note that only on video track is selected in the right-side Track target group, but I have several audio tracks selected as active.

Neil

Source Patching.PNG

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ann...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want video and audio with alt+drag.

Select clip and hit alt and hold

Drag video to desired track, hit and hold shift (dont let go of the alt)

Now go to the audio and drag this to the desired track.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if you have to copy and paste from one sequence to another? This alt+drag method won't work. This is why I am trying to cut+paste

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same way i explained in first post, make sure the track is selected.

Select clip,

Crtl+C,

Switch sequence,

Select track, place playhead in desired position

Ctrl+V (or Ctrl+Shift+V for insert).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2015 Jul 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a Mac with CC2014 copying and pasting into a selected track does not work. It insists on going to an occupied track. Even worse, I can't even see where it's going at all. The play head moves up but there's no sign of the clips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2015 Oct 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By 'Targeting' the track, which is what Ann said, click the line you want the past to goto ie V1, V2, V3, A1, A2 (Note you actually click the letters noted).  I didnt it get by what she said, but it lead me to the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2016 Apr 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked! the selecting the actual V1, V2, V3, A1, A2 worked!!! thanks reddn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't work for me. Using CC 2018 on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 15, 2016 Apr 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows using CC 2018 with same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know when this changed but this is not the correct answer until you edit your keyboard shortcuts and remove Paste To Same Track from Cmd +V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jonas, your solution worked for me. Thank you. My keyboard shortcut was the culprit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2016 Sep 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EUREKA!!! I tried clicking on the v1, v2, etc as suggested. This still did not work me. Very frustrating. THEN, I decided to try renaming each audio or video track. i.e "1, 2, or 3" THIS WORKED. Now when you simply click on that track, then you paste, it places the item on that selected track. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2017 Feb 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This still isn't working for me (or should I say, it's not working in the 2017 update). I clicked on the V4 (note finally realized it's "V4" to the left of what says "Video 4") and it highlighted to indicate it's the targeted track. I then hit Command-V to paste my text from another sequence and it STILL pasted into V2 (note: not sure why it's even choosing V2. V1 track is a JPEG graphic behind my actual video footage on track V2).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow-up... This is also happening if I copy a graphic from my logo Track and try to paste it into another location IN THE SAME TRACK. my logo is on V3. I copied it, made sure that same layer was targeted and pasted... clip/image appeared AGAIN on V2 overwriting my video footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe should have better error messages. And better diagnostics.  I remember learning to edit and going through the same process, it was painful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be system related: I have no trouble copy/paste into the same track.

Make sure just that track is target and no other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paste a screen shot of your timeline before and after the copy/pasts so we can see what's going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines