• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

This file requires the HEVC codec which is included with a Creative Cloud membership. To upgrade...

Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, Adobe Premiere Rush won't import a small H.265 clip. It gives me this error when it opens the folder where the clip resides:

"This file requires the HEVC codec which is included with a Creative Cloud membership. To upgrade to a paid plan, go to..."

I have purchased Rush. I have uninstalled it then reinstalled it. I have signed in and out of Creative Cloud on the Web as well as the desktop app. I still get the error.

Also, the thumbnail of the clip, when trying to start a new project shows "Unable to Load Preview." When I select it and click Create, I get another error message:

"The importer reported a generic error."

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

TOPICS
Desktop version , Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

I believe I found a fix! I reinstalled an older version of Rush. Version 1.5.54 works. The most recent (1.5.62) and the second most recent (1.5.58) both gave me the error.

You can reinstall older versions from Creative Cloud. Click the three dots beside Premiere Rush and then 'Other versions'. Install 1.5.54.

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Macgeekppc,

Sorry! As I understand it, you are working with drone footage. The drone can shoot HEVC in a .mov wrapper or an .mp4 wrapper. If on Windows, please try shooting in the .mp4 wrapper and see if that works for you. If not, you can also try transcoding the footage in Media Encoder or freeware Shutter Encoder.

Edit: @Macgeekppc, are you using HEVC 4:2:2 10-bit footage? It's not supported. That could be the issue. Let us know. The guidance is to transcode to an editing codec or H.264 usi

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 277 Replies 277
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this exact issue now, did you ever find a fix??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately no. I think the weird thing may be that it's editable on the iPad version, but not the desktop version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, are you on Windows?

Do you know if you have the "HEVC Video Extensions" installed on Windows 10?

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/hevc-decoding-on-windows.html#HEVCvideoextension

[It costs 99¢ from the Microsoft Store.]

Not sure if that will help, but it could be worth a try.

UPDATE: Please vote/comment/follow the official Rush bug report here:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/916423-premiere-rush/suggestions/44518785-premiere-rush-err...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Mac. And I did upgrade to Crwative Cloud but that didn't make a difference. Adobe Support actually took over my Mac remotely to see if they could get it to work. No luck. Maybe a newer Mac or an update to Rush will fix things. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't waste your money, people. Downloading the HVEC extension from the microsoft store did nothing for me. Several updates later and rush still doesnt work...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2022 Aug 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The codec msg seems to be a red herring. We had the issue on windows, got the codec, nothing.

Thje most efficiant thing to do with this issue that they can't seem to fix is to try it on differant platforms. We tried export on a iPad , same project, and irt worked. Try differant platforms for differant diriver mixes until you get lcuky. Adobe has had this issue for years it seems.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2023 Jan 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ONLY way I have been able to get my video clips into Rush on the Alienware I like to edit on is to open them FIRST on my Mac, then save them out from the video previewer app with a different name. I don't change extensions, just the name. I create a new project and import the clips from my Mac. I log into Rush on the Alienware and voila' the clips can be seen and rendered. It seems like the open/save process removes whatever is triggering this HEVC codec error, but what a mess, and the fact that this issue has gone on for so long without resolution is sloppy customer service on Apple's part. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same issue on my Windows 11 machine. My M1 Mac mini does not give this error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. I'm on Windows 10. I have a creative cloud membership and the Premiere Rush plan. I also have the HEVC Video Extensions installed from the Microsoft store, although I don't think that should be required. 

I was able to use these types of file previously on Rush. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I likewise am having the same issue. I'm running windows 10.0.19043 Build 19043. I actually was able to work with and edit my entire video, which includes clips from multiple cameras, but when I go to render it I get the same issue. I also installed the HEVC Codec from Microsoft and it didn't help me at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same exact issue. Able to import the clip and trim it, add transition etc. But trying to render  /export it gives the message "This file requires the HEVC codec..." and am unable to proceed. (I have the codec, btw - cost $0.99 from windows store - i needed it to view the original file in windows media player).

Even worse, once i cancel the render and try to do anything else, the program always and consistently freezes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jeremyh53115868, @amandab93190441, @jford29

Have any of you tried to contact Adobe Support about the issue?

Live online chat: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen

You may also be able to contact by phone:
https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/phone.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I contacted Adobe, and it was like pulling teeth. They kept telling me that I need to subscribe. I am already subscribed! They created a ticket and said i would recieve a call... That was 3 days ago. No call yet...

Adobe doesn't seem to care.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I contacted the first tech who said my Photoshop plan was only 20GB and needed to be upgraded to 100GB, and then handed me off to Sales. Sales got pushy and wouldn't explain how Photoshop cloud storage had anything to do with Rush 100GB cloud storage. I called back this time, got a person, who transfered me to a dead line. Called again and sat on the phone with a person going over everything I had been doing, and now I have the error, plus all my files in all projects are showing up red with an "!" in the middle... I think they deleted all of my files now....  I guess I will wait that 24-48 hours for a phone call I probably will never get.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue.  Support took over computer and began working the problem.  'Bout half way through, lost connection. Next rep. said this was"a known issue" that required a different subscription.

This issue just arose recently, by the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also spent an hour and a half on the phone with support and they took over my computer. After trying a few things, they wanted me to use handbrake to transcode every file that has this problem and he stated that it was likely a file issue from my camera. However when we tried to render a project that I have rendered previously it brought up the same error. Something has changed in Adobe causing it to reject all files from this camera, both old files that used to work, and new files that I hadn't tried in Rush before. I guess for all my future projects I will have to transcode all files from this camera until Adobe figures out how to fix their issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my experience with Premiere Rush: 
I was trying to add gopro 7 videos to Premiere Rush and i was getting a missing codec HEVC error message. This was not the case as other videos (from the same day and camera) of lower resolution were imported correctly.

It proved that app was either crashing or not importing my video files because they had a 4K resolution. Premiere Rush is not capable of working with GoPro 7 4K videos but instead of telling this somewhere either in the error message or in the documentation (somewhere that is visible), a misleading missing codec message is displayed. 

Adobe's support told me that 4K videos are not supported by Premiere Rush but this is not mentioned anywhere!!!  I had to discover this after trying to understand what is wrong with HEVC codec missing... If you need 4K support go to PRO version, these are to demanding for Rush. That was the official response. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately you received incorrect information... It is not true that "4K videos are not supported by Premiere Rush." I use Premiere Rush with 4K videos all the time.

So being 4K is not the specific issue causing the "This file requires the HEVC codec" message. Other customers are getting this message too and there does not see to be a clear or consistent reason established yet.

It sounds like Adobe Support is as yet unsure why this message is happening for some subscribers, and in your case they may have been reaching for an explanation. But Rush definitely supports 4K.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Day three of the missing HVEC codec journey.

First, Abobe reps have tried many solutions and have tried to find the solution.

Two trips into my PC.  One lost connection and one lasted two hours. No luck.

One rep suggested that I needed to upgrade my plan. Another suggested running Beta version of Rush. No better than alpha.  Didn't work.

A senior support person, very courteous by the way, suggested that the issue is that since I have two plans Rush and Photography plan, my Rush plan was confused and was defaulting to the photography plan and since the photography plan did not have the HVEC codec, I was getting an getting the error message.  Somehow, after three days, that was starting to make sense.

Another rep had a clever idea, send some mp4 files shot with H.625 to her and let her see if they would run on her version of Rush.  Voila, they did.  She took over my PC and after trying several strategies, told me I would have to visit with senior rep. She was wicked smart, and when she couldn't figure it out, despair began to creep in.

senior rep called this am, and we began anew, directed to another rep this afternoon.

I mentioned that this problem had arisen only recently to the last rep.  He asked what version of Rush I was using and indeed I was using the most current one.  I asked if Rush supported 4K MP4 and MOV and said he would find out and a couple of minutes later he returned with yes answer. Told me to reinstall Creative Cloud, wait five minutes and reinstall Rush.  I did as directed only to find total silence on the other end of the call.  Still connected, but rep had gone silent.vanished. The suggested solution was in fact not the solution.

I remain hopeful.  I still have some good years ahead of me and tend to be a patient person. Did find myself looking at an actuarial table, this might take a while.

If nothing else, everyone with whom I spoke was very courteous and wanted to help.  

See what tomorrow brings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds very painful. Thank you for sharing all these details. The common theme seems to be that we all have both the Photography pland and the Premiere Rush plan, which I do as well. 

I hope Adobe will give us a credit for our Rush plans for the length of time that this error has been happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the photography plan and the Rush plan. Good catch there. Now at least Adobe can have something to look at in their programming to fix the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to give another update. I contacted Adobe again today and they were very good at taking care of the issue. I've upgraded to the Adobe All-Apps plan and for my troubles they gave me a good price and a 3 month credit. I'm not sure my good monthly price will remain after the annual contract gets renewed next year, but it's a good solution for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for the update, and glad you found a way forward. Surprisingly, it sounds like you previously had both the Photography plan plus the Rush plan – and still ran into this issue...

Really not sure how or why that could happen, even with two paid plans – so hope Adobe can sort this out soon. Customers are still running into this:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/916423-premiere-rush/suggestions/44518785-premiere-rush-err...

Calling @petergaraway: Is there any update from Adobe on this issue? Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines