• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

This file requires the HEVC codec which is included with a Creative Cloud membership. To upgrade...

Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, Adobe Premiere Rush won't import a small H.265 clip. It gives me this error when it opens the folder where the clip resides:

"This file requires the HEVC codec which is included with a Creative Cloud membership. To upgrade to a paid plan, go to..."

I have purchased Rush. I have uninstalled it then reinstalled it. I have signed in and out of Creative Cloud on the Web as well as the desktop app. I still get the error.

Also, the thumbnail of the clip, when trying to start a new project shows "Unable to Load Preview." When I select it and click Create, I get another error message:

"The importer reported a generic error."

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

TOPICS
Desktop version , Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

I believe I found a fix! I reinstalled an older version of Rush. Version 1.5.54 works. The most recent (1.5.62) and the second most recent (1.5.58) both gave me the error.

You can reinstall older versions from Creative Cloud. Click the three dots beside Premiere Rush and then 'Other versions'. Install 1.5.54.

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Macgeekppc,

Sorry! As I understand it, you are working with drone footage. The drone can shoot HEVC in a .mov wrapper or an .mp4 wrapper. If on Windows, please try shooting in the .mp4 wrapper and see if that works for you. If not, you can also try transcoding the footage in Media Encoder or freeware Shutter Encoder.

Edit: @Macgeekppc, are you using HEVC 4:2:2 10-bit footage? It's not supported. That could be the issue. Let us know. The guidance is to transcode to an editing codec or H.264 usi

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 280 Replies 280
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, not sure why he would have told me that then. The GoPro footage is what is messing up for me as well. He logged into his CC on my computer and it worked. But when he logged back into mine, it did not once again. Maybe that is why he jumped to a subscription solution. Either way, I'm not paying 3x the price for a service I rarely use and a bunch that I never will. Hope they fix it soon. Just got a GoPro for Chirstmas and bummed that I basically can't edit any of the footage. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I (temporarily) resolved this issue by doing a 7-day trial and installing Premiere Pro.  I didn't even open Premiere Pro, but instead opened my project in Premiere Rush and tried export again, and it worked.  It looks like Premiere Pro has the HEVC dependency but Premiere Rush doesn't.  No idea if Premiere Rush will continue to work after my trial lapses, but here's to hoping!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jbraeg

Thanks for the clue; that's helpful... Please post back and let us know what happens after the Premiere Pro trial lapses!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me know how that works for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ProDesignTools  @JustuScapes I've been poking around and trying to find what differences there, and found these files added by Premiere Pro:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\AdobeInstalledCodecsTier2\3.0\mc_dec_hevc.dll
C:\Users\Public\Documents\AdobeInstalledCodecsTier2\3.0\mc_enc_hevc.dll

These files are actually in the installation files from Premiere Rush, I'm wondering if the installer just isn't installing them in the right location?

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Rush 2.0\RuntimeInstallers\3.0.2\mc_dec_hevc.dll
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Rush 2.0\RuntimeInstallers\3.0.2\mc_enc_hevc.dll

I tested by temporarily removing the former files, and I get the same error message as I did before!  I'm wondering if the fix is simply to copy those RuntimeInstallers files to the correct AdobeInstalledCodecsTier2 folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just confirmed this does *not* work.  I uninstalled Premiere Pro, but those files remained, but it's back to not working :(.  So there must be something else.  I'll keep digging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The support tech guy did this with these exact files. It still didn't work
though. He sent me a DL link and put them in my public documents folder. I
wonder if maybe that's just not the correct location?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So a bit more of an update. 

1.  It's not working at all for me now, whether Pro is installed or not (very weird)

2. I *disabled* hardware acceleration encoding/decoding in the Preferences of Rush, and I couldn't even get a preview of the files (before export).  I got the same error message I got before when exporting.  That tells me this might be dependent on the encoder/decoder being used?  Maybe on export something is using a software encoder/decoder (maybe the preview button?)

3. Premiere Pro exports the video just fine.  Absolutely no problem

4. The AdobeInstalledCodecsTier2 directory isn't actually created when the application is installed, it's created when it's used (at runtime, hence the name).  I can guarantee this was created by Rush when it executed successfully.  Premiere Pro did this successfully when I exported, after deleting the directory first.

Anyways I'm going to bed, this thing is nuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using - or rather, trying to use - Premiere Rush on a Windows machine. Last time I used Rush, about two months ago, it worked just fine. Sinice then I've "upgraded" from Windows 10 to Windows 11, and last night I got the awful message about the HEVC code. Contacted support via chat and he was able to uninstall Rush, download the 1.5.54 files, and reinstall the old 1.5.54 version. That seemed to work just fine until Microsoft decided this morning that Windows 11 needed an urgent update. I did that, and the HEVC message returned. 

So, I uninstalled Rush, opened File Explorer, and re-installed Rush using the downloaded files from the support session. At the moment, all seems to be well. But I'm very leery about what will happen with the next Windows update. Having  the downloaded 1.5.54 installation files is probably a good thing.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a new comment from the official Rush bug report, which may help someone:

AJ Manzanares commented  ·   · 

I got around this with my in-camera Settings (on my Google Pixel 4XL). I went into Advanced Settings and toggled off the "Use H.265/HVEC" option so that it saves it as H.264/AVC instead.

I don't know if this satisfies anyone, but after I did that, I was able to import 4K videos into Adobe Rush.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a breadcrumb of information showing what seems to have worked for me in respect to the GoPro HEVC problem. I installed a fully-paid subscription of Rush in September, and it has worked fine until recently. I upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11 earlier this month, and when trying to use Rush after the Win 11 upgrade I received the HEVC error message. 

I contacted Adobe support, who was helpful and installed Rush version 1.5.54, but with that version of Rush I had a problem creating a shortcut on my desktop and the icon on the taskbar disappeared when I turned Rush off. So I examined my GoPro to see if changing my compression preferences made a differences. It did.

I found that Premiere RUSH 2.0 (the most current update) works normally on videos recorded after I changed my compression preference from "H.264+HEVC" to "HEVC".  Here are the steps I took with my GoPro 9:

1. Turn on the GoPro, and from the main screen, swipe down to reveal the menu of icons

2. On the icon menu, swipe from right to left to go to a screen with selections for "Connections" and "Preferences"

3. Select "Preferences"

4. Then, Select "General"

5. Scroll down and select "Video Compression"

6. There will be two choices: "H.264+HEVC" and "HEVC". On my GoPro, "H.264+HEVC" was already selected.

7. Select "HEVC" instead of "H.264+HEVC"

8. Press the Power button to return to the main screen

Videos taken on my GoPro 9 with the "HEVC" video compression preference seem to work just fine on Premiere RUSH 2.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this! I'll give it a try later. Hopefully that fixes it temporarily and Adobe fixes it for good the right way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So guys, I found a resolution to the issue. In my case anyway. The previous tech was right. It seems to be an issue with the photography plan conflicting with the Rush paid subscription. Here is what he advised me to do and it worked.

He told me to cancel my subscription (I would talk to someone first to make sure you can get reimbursed for this if you had the yearly membership). Once my subscription expired, I deleted the app and uninstalled. I purchased the subscription again and opened it. Voila! Now I can upload my GoPro 10 footage. Hope that helps someone else. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi@JustuScapes,

Thank you for sharing that. Which subscription did you have before (which plan and was it annual or monthly)... and which plan did you sign up for after? (plan and term, if different)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I now have the yearly subscription. I cannot 100% confirm that I had that before (I may have been paying monthly) but I am pretty sure I had the yearly before as well. Any time there is a savings over time even if it costs me more up front, I usually go that route. Pretty usre I had yearly, cancelled yearly, waited for the date that the subscription ran out, then re-subbed yearly. When I went into the app, I was able to import, edit, and export footage as intended. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but which plan? Is it the Photography plan you're talking about, both before and after?

If so, the Photography plan is always annual, a 12-month commitment. You cannot get a month-to-month plan for Photography.

Regardless, it seems strange that cancelling and resubscribing to the exact same plan would produce a difference in the operation of Premiere Rush, if that is what you are describing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't cancel my Photography plan. Only my Rush plan. I kept Photo Plan cancelled Rush, then re-bought Rush and installed Rush and it worked. They gave me a 1 month credit as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that it seems strange. I don't know the technical details/explanation. Nor do I really care but that's what the tech suggested the issue was and it resolved my issue so I'm happy lol. I'm sure they know something we dont.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might have to try that! When I called we tried a few things, but nothing worked, then I was told I was out of luck for now and just to convert the files using another program. People should be receiving credit for the many months they haven't been able to properly use the program. If nothing else we know those with the full suite aren't having that problem, so those with the problem could be upgraded to the full suite at no additional cost until a solution is found. Hopefully a solution is found soon! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amanda,

If you're having this problem, please get in touch with Peter Garaway on the Adobe team, per his post here...

You can DM him at @petergaraway 

Also please upvote and comment on the official bug report here – thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done that, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to export my first video from Rush, it's about 11.5 minutes long.  It will not export at all without upgrading my subscription.  I'm using the free version at the moment to see if I even like it and I'm not sure if I get 3 exports or unlimited, I've read both ways, but either way I have never exported at all and it will not let export.  Whenever I go to "Share" it just pops up that I need to upgrade my subscription. I've signed out and back in, opened and closed several times, I'm not sure what else I need to try to even export one to try this out. I really liked using this software and I am debating on subscribing, but I'm still trialing it to see, but I can't even fully trial what it says I can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carrie,

If you're getting this message: "This file requires the HEVC codec which is included with a Creative Cloud membership. To upgrade to a paid plan, go to..."

...then it's a known issue especially with GoPro video footage – please vote & comment on the official Rush bug report here:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/916423-premiere-rush/suggestions/44518785-premiere-rush-err...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AKA: "Continue to pay Adobe... and MAYBE.... ONE DAY... they will address this issue..."

😐

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Calling @petergaraway at Adobe... Can you address what the company is doing about this?

Is the issue being worked on or addressed at Adobe? What should customers do about it?

Thanks, Peter!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines