• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

This file requires the HEVC codec which is included with a Creative Cloud membership. To upgrade...

Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, Adobe Premiere Rush won't import a small H.265 clip. It gives me this error when it opens the folder where the clip resides:

"This file requires the HEVC codec which is included with a Creative Cloud membership. To upgrade to a paid plan, go to..."

I have purchased Rush. I have uninstalled it then reinstalled it. I have signed in and out of Creative Cloud on the Web as well as the desktop app. I still get the error.

Also, the thumbnail of the clip, when trying to start a new project shows "Unable to Load Preview." When I select it and click Create, I get another error message:

"The importer reported a generic error."

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

TOPICS
Desktop version , Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

I believe I found a fix! I reinstalled an older version of Rush. Version 1.5.54 works. The most recent (1.5.62) and the second most recent (1.5.58) both gave me the error.

You can reinstall older versions from Creative Cloud. Click the three dots beside Premiere Rush and then 'Other versions'. Install 1.5.54.

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Macgeekppc,

Sorry! As I understand it, you are working with drone footage. The drone can shoot HEVC in a .mov wrapper or an .mp4 wrapper. If on Windows, please try shooting in the .mp4 wrapper and see if that works for you. If not, you can also try transcoding the footage in Media Encoder or freeware Shutter Encoder.

Edit: @Macgeekppc, are you using HEVC 4:2:2 10-bit footage? It's not supported. That could be the issue. Let us know. The guidance is to transcode to an editing codec or H.264 usi

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 282 Replies 282
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Calling @petergaraway at Adobe... Can you address what the company is doing about this?

Is the issue being worked on or addressed at Adobe? What should customers do about it?

Thanks, Peter!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all and @ProDesignTools  - Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'm going through this thread and the UserVoice post collecting information. The error doesn't appear to be occurring for all users, even with matching account types and media, making it a little more difficult to find the root cause.

I have a request - For the users currently experiencing this issue in the latest Rush build, please DM. I'll reach out to you directly with specific questions. I'll update this post here once I have a better understanding of the issue.

Apologies for the trouble this has caused. The possible workarounds I see now are:

• Rollback to version 1.5.54 of Rush. Here's how 
  • Transcode your problematic file to non-HEVC or non-10bit 
  • Adjust camera settings to shoot non-HEVC or non-10bit for future projects 

Thanks again for the info you've provided so far. I look forward to hearing from you soon. 

Peter 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @petergaraway for responding. I hope this helps further progress in addressing the issue.

I see that Premiere Rush version 2.3 was released today, now available in the CC Desktop app... The release note says "performance and stability improvements." I don't have the problem with the HEVC codec, so can't say if the new version helps in any way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on 2.3 and I am still getting this error. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2022 Feb 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update. Please see Peter's message just above, and DM him to help work through this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As requested elsewhere I suffer from the message above when importing a HEVC encoded file from my GoPro Hero 10.  The lower framerates/ resolutions can use the h264 encoded files and do work with Premier Rush.  However there is no option but to use HEVC with the higher framerates/ resolutions, and it is these HEVC encoded files that throw up the error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great information thanks for sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeez. I thought I had fixed the problem by resetting preferences in the camera, but then there was "update" 2.3, and I'm back where I started; the fix I thought I had no longer works. I've been an Adobe client for years. But at the top of my Account page there's a message that says: "You have the Creative Cloud Free Plan. To experience everything Creative Cloud has to offer, upgrade to one of our paid plans or get started with a free trial." 

That's baloney. I pay $240/year for a Creative Cloud plan (next payment December 1, 2022) and an additional $100/year for Rush (next payment September 6, 2022). The fact that this problem exists and continues simply astounds me. I'm going to look for an alternative to Rush, and perhaps in the process I'll find something that I like better than Lightroom and Photoshop. Words (at least, polite words) fail me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@rwpatton – Have you had your Photography or Lightroom plan since before October 26, 2021? If so, then the full/premium version of Premiere Rush should be included in your subscription, with no separate Rush plan necessary.

@petergaraway – As an Adobe employee on the Rush team, could you please tell us more about what's happening with this issue? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the yearly plans for Lightroom with 1TB since December 2018, and Rush since September 2021. Pretty expensive to be paying for both of them. Before 2018, I'd had versions of Lightroom, Bridge, and Photoshop for ten years or more. Maybe what I need to do is cancel the September 2021 Rush plan and reopen Rush via the Lightroom 1TB plan. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cancelled the separate Rush plan, and reinstalled via the link from my Creative Cloud home page. Still no joy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Presuming you're using a single email address, then all plans will work based on that one address. Meaning that Rush will open under your same email regardless. Reinstalling would make no difference.

As a longtime Lightroom subscriber, you should have received Rush premium access last fall... You shouldn't need to pay for Rush separately. But if you're running into the same issue both with and without a separate Rush plan, then your best bet is to contact Adobe Customer Support for assistance:

https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, PDT.

That's what I thought, too. Grasping at straws, I tried anyway, and as you pointed out, it made no difference.

I did contact Adobe customer support, whose solution was to roll back to the old 1.5.54 version. My next contact with customer support will be to have a conversation about the fee. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good, please let us know how it goes!

Adobe customer support telling people to roll back to an older version to work around the "This file requires the HEVC codec..." message would seem to indicate an issue with the program rather than with the plan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2022 Aug 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you be so kind as to suggest exectly how to request help for this issue once I have clicked https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html? The page appears designed to steer people away from opening support tickets. I see FAQ, invitations to use these forums, online chat with a bot. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Damn that shouldnt be or problem, doesnt it? It's ADOBE paid plan. Is HEVC Rocketscience?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HEVCADDobbeFaIl.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not even ADOBE Media Encoder is able to read HEVC.... Win10 can - dissapointing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

switching back to Davince Resolve now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear community,

Could anyone explain to me how it is possible?

Currently, I have Photography (20GB) the cheapest plan with Ps and Lr.
There is a Photoshop plan which contains Premiere Rush, so I upgraded to it and faced the error with HEVC from the first post.

I created a support ticket (ADB-24441150-T6D2) and they told me that I have to purchase Premiere Pro plan to be able to use Rush and HEVC together and provided me this link: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-rush/kb/starter-paid-rush-upgrade.html#sa_src=web-messaging

Now I rolled back to the Photography plan because there is no sense in Rush software in general. Adobe Premiere is able to cover all Rush features and even much more but I need just cut/crop/scale my GoPro videos and upload them on youtube. I do not need all Premiere functionality and cannot use Rush.

This is a bit strange, don't you think so?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it definitely seems strange.

Calling @petergaraway and @caroline_edits from the Premiere Rush team... Would you please be so kind as to give customers an update on what's happening with this issue from the Adobe side? Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Any news maybe?  Do Premiere Rush plans still not support HEVC?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone have an alternative to Premiere Rush they can share?

I opened a ticket with Adobe for this issue and it was acknowledged as a bug with a patch 'releasing soon', but the instructions I got were to use Handbrake to transcode my video first. If I knew how to use something like Handbrake effectively I feel like I wouldn't need something as simple as Rush to do what I need to do. 

I got some stuff I'd like to edit and upload to YouTube, but I'm a stuck. I don't know how to get Handbrake to output something with the quality I can bring into Rush from the get-go when it's working like I expect it to.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2022 May 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How long ago did you open a ticket or get the response that a patch was coming out soon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2022 May 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last week - May 17th. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines