• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

This file requires the HEVC codec which is included with a Creative Cloud membership. To upgrade...

Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, Adobe Premiere Rush won't import a small H.265 clip. It gives me this error when it opens the folder where the clip resides:

"This file requires the HEVC codec which is included with a Creative Cloud membership. To upgrade to a paid plan, go to..."

I have purchased Rush. I have uninstalled it then reinstalled it. I have signed in and out of Creative Cloud on the Web as well as the desktop app. I still get the error.

Also, the thumbnail of the clip, when trying to start a new project shows "Unable to Load Preview." When I select it and click Create, I get another error message:

"The importer reported a generic error."

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

TOPICS
Desktop version , Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

I believe I found a fix! I reinstalled an older version of Rush. Version 1.5.54 works. The most recent (1.5.62) and the second most recent (1.5.58) both gave me the error.

You can reinstall older versions from Creative Cloud. Click the three dots beside Premiere Rush and then 'Other versions'. Install 1.5.54.

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Macgeekppc,

Sorry! As I understand it, you are working with drone footage. The drone can shoot HEVC in a .mov wrapper or an .mp4 wrapper. If on Windows, please try shooting in the .mp4 wrapper and see if that works for you. If not, you can also try transcoding the footage in Media Encoder or freeware Shutter Encoder.

Edit: @Macgeekppc, are you using HEVC 4:2:2 10-bit footage? It's not supported. That could be the issue. Let us know. The guidance is to transcode to an editing codec or H.264 usi

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 280 Replies 280
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @John31210744l3nm,

Sorry about that. Did you use your Spark entitlement to gain access to Rush and PsX prior to the change? That may be the thing holding you up.

You can also try contacting support and asking for the "video queue." They are the Rush experts. I hope the info helps.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin will try that

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2023 Dec 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look, I get it, Adobe is a greedy company, I'm sure some of you are going to flame me go right ahead, but let's talk facts. Five years ago 1080p was the industry standard, At the end of 2023 4K is the industry standard and many content creators are moving to 8K. That Adobe extort money from customers in order to export video in 4K in 2023 is unacceptable and shouldn't be tolerated by anyone paying for an Adobe subscription. Even the likes of Walmart has a 50" 4K TV for less than $200 (regular price, not a sale price) today proves that 4K is the industry standard. no one paying for an Adobe subscription to Rush should tolerate this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 02, 2023 Dec 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @TerabyteNet,

I read your note. Which subscription plan do you have? Let us know. I hope we can help. Sorry for the frustration.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2023 Dec 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read some other posts here about the app crashing and it is super annoying, especially when I'm trying to export my video to submit for college.  My iPad is on the new 17.1 iOS and I'm not sure if I can send the pre-exported version of my film over to premiere pro to export that way. Is there anyway I can solve this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2024 Jan 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know I originally posted this ages ago, but this is not the correct answer. So I don't know why it's marked as such. At the time, I purchased the full gamut of the CC apps subscription, which means that included the full version of Rush. It still didn't work and I encountered the same error messages. Even after reinstalling. So I downgraded and haven't gone back and tried it since. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2024 Jan 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm encountering this issue for the first time also.

I am working files created with a GoPro Hero 12 Black and when I come to export I get the same error mentioned above. I tried with a small clip as per the original poster, but the same error appears.

I've been through every page of this thread and can see that the source of the issue seems to be something to do with the subscription plan? I am on an Enterprise Plan which includes Adobe Premiere Pro.

Is there a fix for this yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definately doesnt like Gopro hevc files. I'm using hero 11 and no luck with Rush for over a year with lots of promises.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Brad Mustow,

Yes. The issue is often related to the subscription you have with Rush. Educational and enterprise facilities do have such problems. You may want to sort this out with your IT Admin. They can work with our enterprise agents via the enterprise dashboard and get the specifics of your issue and releated fixes. In other words, yours is a special case that is probably not solvable in a user to user forum.

Edit: @Brad Mustow, are you using HEVC 4:2:2 10-bit footage? It's not supported. That could be the issue. Let us know.

In the meantime, you can transcode the footage using Shutter Encoder to H.264 or ProRes. Sorry for the issues.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which subscription plan do you have @Tom26486281z505? Or are you using the "Starter" version of Rush. Let us know.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2024 Jan 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm actually using Premiere Pro, not Rush, and I get the same error. I'm on an Enterprise Subscription plan through the company I work for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Tom26486281z505,

That's rather strange. If you are on PC, you may have to download the HEVC codec for support for those files. That would be what I'd try first. Otherwise, I would contact the IT Admin at your company and request that they log a case with Apple Enterprise Support. I hope the advice helps.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2024 Apr 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin - I have downloaded the HEVC codec from the Microsoft Store but I still encounter the error.

If you can provide a solution to this that would be very much appreciated and save me a great deal of time transcoding H265 to H264 🙂

Thanks
Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2024 Apr 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should know that the posted solution works for very few people only.
Their dosen; seem to be much of an appetite at Adobe to fix it
correctly and permanently . Some people get relief messing around with
their subscription level. Many walk away for a different solution . good
luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This Rush issue is unacceptable. Is there another application on can use that does not give these issues? I use Rush for basic editing and also seldom. I do not have time to waste with software not working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @JohanAckerman,

Sorry to hear that. Which subscription plan do you have? The starter version of Rush doesn't support the HEVC codec because of royalty reasons from MPEG LA. If you have a paid subscription to Rush and are having problems, I hope we can assist you.

Edit: @JohanAckerman, are you using HEVC 4:2:2 10-bit footage? It's not supported. That could be the issue. Let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not working. I was told by Adobe chat that buying Adobe Express included the full version of Adobe Rush. Thought that might fix the HEVC issue, so I purchased it. Still the same error. I'm not trying to import drone footage as written in the pinned reply. Just trying to edit footage off my Canon R10 and Canon R5. So I canceled the Express subscription. Seems silly that Rush can't edit video from a Canon camera. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it's been documented here that Premiere Rush is available with Adobe Express and a couple other packages and no where does it mention that being a "starter" version without HEVC support. I ended up buying the full Adobe suite for some work projects and only then did I ever get Premiere Rush working. 

Even though it's the "Premium" version available with Express, it only gives you the "starter" features. 

intercede007_0-1708445256969.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Macgeekppc and @intercede007,

Thanks for writing in.

Yeah, it's been documented here that Premiere Rush is available with Adobe Express and a couple other packages and no where does it mention that being a "starter" version without HEVC support. I ended up buying the full Adobe suite for some work projects and only then did I ever get Premiere Rush working. 

Even though it's the "Premium" version available with Express, it only gives you the "starter" features. 

By @intercede007

Thanks for reporting on that. Let me ask the team for some clarity on the Express issue. I am sorry about all this.

Best Wishes,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2024 Feb 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @intercede007 and @Macgeekppc,

The team said Rush doesn't support HEVC 10-bit 4:2:2 files. Could that be the issue? Let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. Yes. That is the answer. That is the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue with videos created on Nikon Z8, but those created with Nikon D850 open without issue.

Following this thread for help / solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @BruceK360,

Thanks for the note. Sounds frustrating. The team says that HEVC 10-bit 4:2:2 footage is not going to work. Try running files through the " MediaInfo " freeware and share a screenshot in the tree view here. That would help a lot. Sorry for the frustration.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2024 Mar 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here with video files of Nikon Z8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 15, 2024 Mar 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @europro_ph,

Is it 10-bit HEVC? Unfortunately, that is not supported. Feel free to link the group to a sample file for testing.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines