• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

This file requires the HEVC codec which is included with a Creative Cloud membership. To upgrade...

Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, Adobe Premiere Rush won't import a small H.265 clip. It gives me this error when it opens the folder where the clip resides:

"This file requires the HEVC codec which is included with a Creative Cloud membership. To upgrade to a paid plan, go to..."

I have purchased Rush. I have uninstalled it then reinstalled it. I have signed in and out of Creative Cloud on the Web as well as the desktop app. I still get the error.

Also, the thumbnail of the clip, when trying to start a new project shows "Unable to Load Preview." When I select it and click Create, I get another error message:

"The importer reported a generic error."

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

TOPICS
Desktop version , Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

I believe I found a fix! I reinstalled an older version of Rush. Version 1.5.54 works. The most recent (1.5.62) and the second most recent (1.5.58) both gave me the error.

You can reinstall older versions from Creative Cloud. Click the three dots beside Premiere Rush and then 'Other versions'. Install 1.5.54.

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Macgeekppc,

Sorry! As I understand it, you are working with drone footage. The drone can shoot HEVC in a .mov wrapper or an .mp4 wrapper. If on Windows, please try shooting in the .mp4 wrapper and see if that works for you. If not, you can also try transcoding the footage in Media Encoder or freeware Shutter Encoder.

Edit: @Macgeekppc, are you using HEVC 4:2:2 10-bit footage? It's not supported. That could be the issue. Let us know. The guidance is to transcode to an editing codec or H.264 usi

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 280 Replies 280
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem is over 3 years old. Although it stops the most basic of
functions tech support seems unable to fix it. Some of the solutions here
work for some people but they have clearly not stepped up with supporting
this product and providing an update to the product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue as well, Full creative cloud subscription on a mac. Spent hours on the phone over the past several days getting tossed between tech support and accounts support on the phone. Wildly dissapointed in Adobe's overall handling on this, was hoping Rush would speed up my workflow on social media bound video content.

To be clear, the customer service reps have all been fantastic and seem to be trying their best, this looks like its an Adobe product engineering/support issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2023 Apr 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had a Creative Cloud subscription for years now that includes Rush. I hardly ever use any of it anymore but I've recently found a use for Rush. Unfortunately, I'm having the same exact problem that doesn't look like it will be resolved anytime soon. I think I should just move on from Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 02, 2023 May 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doing my head in....got the same issue. Not a heavy Rush user but handy for small "reels" type videos and had a wee project made up- went to export and getting the HVEC error like everyone else in this thread. Tried loads of the possible solutions none work for me. All used to work fine...currently on version 2.8
Seems to throw the error then I can see it start to render the first few frames of the video in the wee thumbnail then it freezes and becomes unresponsive. I have alternative video editing software I can fall back on but just means I need to start over and have better things to do with my life. Not encouraged by how long this issue seems to have existed, that they are anywhere close to fixing it. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2024 Feb 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Kenneth Halley,

I got your message. Thanks for writing in. Are you using HEVC 4:2:2 10-bit footage? If so, it's not supported. That could be the issue. Let us know. The guidance is transcoding to an editing codec or H.264 using Media Encoder or Freeware Shutter Encoder. I hope the advice helps. Sorry for the problem.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 12, 2023 May 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow - YEARS and this is still a problem? Spent time editing a video together and now I can't do anything useful since it completely fails to export. I've tried buying the codec from MS. I've tried logging out/in. I've tried renaming the project. Only after paying for a monthly plan did it start working. Which means adobe can fix this. Even though it's only $10/mo i'm going to ask for a refund because frankly it smacks of bait and switch. It's complete BS that paying for a subscription suddenly fixes a 'bug'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2024 Feb 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit: @merkk, are you using HEVC 4:2:2 10-bit footage? It's not supported. That could be the issue. Let us know. The guidance is to transcode to an editing codec or H.264 using Media Encoder or Freeware Shutter Encoder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Macgeekppc,

Sorry! As I understand it, you are working with drone footage. The drone can shoot HEVC in a .mov wrapper or an .mp4 wrapper. If on Windows, please try shooting in the .mp4 wrapper and see if that works for you. If not, you can also try transcoding the footage in Media Encoder or freeware Shutter Encoder.

Edit: @Macgeekppc, are you using HEVC 4:2:2 10-bit footage? It's not supported. That could be the issue. Let us know. The guidance is to transcode to an editing codec or H.264 using Media Encoder or Freeware Shutter Encoder.

If anyone does not fall into any of these categories reading this thread, feel free to send me a private message here.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Folks,

Just trying to upload my drone footage to Rush on my Pc, Getting a message which says: File requires HEVC CODEC which is included in a creative cloud membership. To upgrade to a paid plan go to www.adobe.com/go/video  This just takes you to a page where you download apps for your mobile phone, I don't want that, I use my Pc to edit footage, Any help appreciated 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI @Mark24234627ldaf

Thanks for the message. Are the files you are shooting .mov wrapped HEVC files? See if your drone can shoot .mp4 wrapped files instead. If a test is possible, please let the community know the outcome. I believe that .mov wrapped HEVC files are not supported on Windows PCs in the "starter" version. Hope the info helps.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of doing all that, can we get traction fixing the issue Rush has? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Intercede,

Sorry about that. It may be easier to shoot HEVC in the .mp4 wrapper moving forward if your device supports it. As I understand it, .mov wrapped HEVC should also work, as long as the app is not using the "starter" version.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

We need this fixed, the subject of the thread:

>File requires HEVC CODEC which is included in a creative cloud membership.

Rush has had this problem for everyone here since it was added as a benefit to the basic Photoshop cloud storage plan more than a year ago.

As a support engineer , where are we at with this bug fix? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Intercede,

Are you using HEVC 4:2:2 10-bit footage? If so, it's not supported in this version of Rush. That could be the problem. The says to try transcoding to an editing codec or H.264 using Media Encoder or Freeware Shutter Encoder. I hope the advice helps. Sorry for the problem.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Intercede,

Thanks for the link. With all due respect, I saw the article from Petapixel (along with a couple of others that simply copied their content) and the article has zero references to Adobe.com or its offerings. I am sure they are fine people running that site, but I'm afraid they are not operating with all the facts. If they contacted me, I could set them up with our publicity department for any articles to make sure they don't make errors like that in the future. Thank you, though!

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Macgeekppc,

Sorry! As I understand it, the drone can shoot HEVC in a .mov wrapper or an .mp4 wrapper. If on Windows, please try shooting in the .mp4 wrapper and see if that works for you. If not, you can also try transcoding the footage in Media Encoder or freeware Shutter Encoder.

Thanks,
Kevin

By @Kevin-Monahan

Can you explain why paying for the monthly subscription allows it to work? It doesn't seem like a bug if handing adobe some money instantly fixes the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day, @merkk,

Thanks for the post. Edit: It may have to do with the HEVC format being 10-bit 4:2:2-based and not the subscription. My apologies.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin, appreciate your jumping in on this!

Anyone who had a Photography plan prior to October 26, 2021 actually does get the premium version of Rush, not just the starter plan... More info & details here.

But even for those using the free starter plan, being able to import HEVC footage is not stated as a premium feature. Adobe Support would routinely tell customers who were having trouble with this error to downgrade back to Rush version 1.5.54, and that would often work.

So there seems to be more to the issue... See @petergaraway 's post further up in this thread from February 2022:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-rush-discussions/this-file-requires-the-hevc-codec-which-is-...

Further, the official (very active) bug report on UserVoice for this problem seems to have been lost and not sure what happened to it:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/916423-premiere-rush/suggestions/44518785-premiere-rush-err...

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know if there something you have to do to get the premium version? Because I've been in the photography plan since well before 2021 and I do not have the premium version of rush. or was it maybe only people who paid for the extra storage space who got it? I'm just on the 20gb plan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @ProDesignTools,

Good to hear from you!

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/916423-premiere-rush/suggestions/44518785-premiere-rush-err...

Sorry that I couldn't read this. User Voice has been deprecated for Rush by the product team. Sorry about that.

Anyone who had a Photography plan prior to October 26, 2021 actually does get the premium version of Rush, not just the starter plan... More info & details here.

I do not see Rush or Photoshop Express as part of the Photography plan. Here's what it does include: https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography/compare-plans.html

If you can locate a page on Adobe.com that has info around the full version of Rush being included in that plan, be sure to let me know. I could not locate one, and from what I know, the full version of Rush is not currently included in the Photography plan. I do know that Adobe Express currently includes both Rush and Photoshop Express. See the apps available with an Adobe Express subscription here. I see there are a few sites on search indicating otherwise, but no real link to anything at Adobe.com.

@ProDesignTools wrote:

But even for those using the free starter plan, being able to import HEVC footage is not stated as a premium feature. Adobe Support would routinely tell customers who were having trouble with this error to downgrade back to Rush version 1.5.54, and that would often work.

I'd have to consult with my colleagues in assisted support to understand why they offered a solution around downgrading the version and how that would make any difference to why that worked for some customers, but not all customers. This issue seems convoluted and may have changed over time, perhaps. I can understand the confusion some editors may be having around this detail.

I am not aware of the specifics, but HEVC is not available with the trial version of Premiere Pro, so it follows that the same might hold true with any "starter" (free) version of Rush. I believe this has to do with a royalty that has to be paid for access to this codec, so free versions of any app might not have access for this reason.

@ProDesignTools wrote:

So there seems to be more to the issue... See @petergaraway 's post further up in this thread from February 2022:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-rush-discussions/this-file-requires-the-hevc-codec-which-is-...

I would defer to my colleague @pgaraway to respond here.

An added issue is that HEVC is not supported on Windows machines in the .mov container.

Edit: I just read that it should not matter if HEVC content is wrapped with .mov or .mp4 in versions of Rush and Premiere Pro released after 2020. Though I need to verify this with engineering, it appears that the issue is down to whether you are using a "starter" version or not. Sorry about that.

To summarize, I think this is where the situation stands, currently:

• The HEVC codec is not available for any "starter" version of Rush.
  • Rush is available with the HEVC codec included a variety of paid plans, but not with the "starter" version.
  • Rush "starter" version is the one people with a Photography have, not the full version. The full version of Rush is not available with the Photography plan.

I apologize about the problems that this issue has caused editors. As an editor myself, I can understand the frustration. Fortunately, there are ways to work around this limitation that aren't horribly painful. Personally, as a pro editor, I avoid editing H.264 and HEVC codecs in general (I transcode using either Media Encoder or Shutter Encoder to ProRes LT, typically) and that seems to prevent most every issue around stability and performance.

I hope the info helps.

Thanks,
Kevin

Edited for content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Kevin. You make a good point about it not being shown today that Photography included Rush premium. However all customers who had a Photography plan prior to October 26, 2021 were granted the premium version of Rush, not just the starter plan. It was only existing users and not all new users – i.e., anyone who signs up for Photography today only gets Starter and not Premium, which is what's reflected on the current web pages.

But adding Rush premium (plus Ps Express premium, to replace the removal of Spark premium) is definitely what Adobe messaged all customers in the fall of 2021. This was also confirmed by Adobe reps at the time. Here are the notifications sent by Adobe directly to customers:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-rush-discussions/the-3-export-limit-has-been-removed-from-pr...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-rush-discussions/rush-included-or-not-included-in-photograph...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-rush-discussions/rush-included-or-not-included-in-photograph...

So the bottom line is that customers who were subscribed to Photography prior to 10/26/2021 should have full access to the premium version of Rush, based on what Adobe has told them.

Lastly, do you know where all the open Rush tickets which were previously on UserVoice were moved to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @ProDesignTools,

Right! Thanks for the reminder and clarification on info for those that were grandfathered in to having access to the premium version of Rush on the Photography plan.

Those that fall into that category can still contact support and get those cases resolved. I hope that those folks out there that still need to have their plan adusted can reach out to support to fix that issue. I was speaking more about the current state of issues surrounding the HEVC codec and apologize for any confusion on that.

Lastly, do you know where all the open Rush tickets which were previously on UserVoice were moved to?

By @ProDesignTools

The Rush product team could probably answer better as to what happened to bug reports and feature requests on User Voice and what their plans are. I would defer to them for an official response. In general, Adobe digital video and audio product teams have made the move away from User Voice beginning last year with the migration of top bugs and feature requests to these forums. Sorry that I don't have more info for you on that one.

I appreciate your post, though, and thanks for all the work you do on behalf of editors here on the forums. Have a good one!

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm on the photography plan. I understand the paid version of rush is not included in that. But according to adobe's own page the free version of rush 'including unlimited free exports'. 

There's no limit mentioned. I don't remember if the file was .mov or .mp4. My issue however is that as soon as i paid $10 for the premier rush plan, it started working. So, clearly premier rush CAN handle whatever format the file was in since it started working as soon as i paid. 

If adobe wants to institute a limit on the free version so that it doesn't work with .mov files, that's fine. But i would appreciate knowing that before i've already spent the time editing a movie. The problem went away as soon as I paid the montly fee. So to me, that feels entirely like a bait and switch situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @merkk,

Thanks for the response.

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm on the photography plan. I understand the paid version of rush is not included in that. But according to adobe's own page the free version of rush 'including unlimited free exports'. 

There's no limit mentioned.

That's true. The "three export" limit was removed a while back, so you can have unlimited exports from the "starter" version of Rush. There are other limitations, however, like syncing across devices and access to premium content.

I don't remember if the file was .mov or .mp4. My issue however is that as soon as i paid $10 for the premier rush plan, it started working. So, clearly premier rush CAN handle whatever format the file was in since it started working as soon as i paid. 

While I'm not sure of your workflow, Yes, in general, Rush should be able to handle HEVC with the paid versions on mobile devices with either container. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it's the "starter" version that has that limitation.

@merkk wrote:

If adobe wants to institute a limit on the free version so that it doesn't work with .mov files, that's fine. But i would appreciate knowing that before i've already spent the time editing a movie. The problem went away as soon as I paid the montly fee. So to me, that feels entirely like a bait and switch situation.

Sorry you feel that way. I believe the issue why it works with the paid version and did not with the "starter" version has more to do with paying royalties to the originator of the HEVC codec, and not purposefully blocking that access.

I hope the clarification helps you and others move forward with Rush and HEVC captured content. Best of luck to you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines