• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

This file requires the HEVC codec which is included with a Creative Cloud membership. To upgrade...

Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, Adobe Premiere Rush won't import a small H.265 clip. It gives me this error when it opens the folder where the clip resides:

"This file requires the HEVC codec which is included with a Creative Cloud membership. To upgrade to a paid plan, go to..."

I have purchased Rush. I have uninstalled it then reinstalled it. I have signed in and out of Creative Cloud on the Web as well as the desktop app. I still get the error.

Also, the thumbnail of the clip, when trying to start a new project shows "Unable to Load Preview." When I select it and click Create, I get another error message:

"The importer reported a generic error."

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

TOPICS
Desktop version , Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 19, 2024 Sep 19, 2024

Hello @Tom26486281z505,

Thanks for the note. Creating a new Admin account is a workaround. Thanks for walking the community through that. I have heard that if the codec is installed, it could be a permissions issue here:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\AdobeInstalledCodecsTier2\3.0

Granting R/W permission access to folders in this file path might solve the issue. See this KB doc: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/preferences-folder-read-only-error.html.

Let me know if it works. As an aside, th

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 291 Replies 291
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that didn't work for very long. 

Again, Premiere Rush throws an HEVC error but Adobe Media Encoder and Premiere can ingest and export the video just fine. The codec works on this machine. 

hevc1_premiereRush.jpg

hevc1_mediaEncoder.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Posted  by another user. Logging out and back in immediately resolved the issue for me.  Windows 11 - Rush as part of Photography package.

Open Rush.
Click "Help" in upper right corner.
6th option down "Sign out... (username)."
Close Rush.
Open Rush.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's temporary relief, like when I upgraded to Windows 11 or installed the new version of Rush. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on MacBook Pro (2021) and Rush 2.7.0. and a full Adobe subscription. The HEVC clips shot with my iPhone only play sound and not the video stream in the program. Premiere Pro and Quicktime play the clips just fine.

I'm supposed to give a Rush training tomorrow for video editing newbies, telling them how to easily edit videos shot with a mobile phone. Thanks again Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2023 Mar 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump. 

Why is this still a problem? Clearly the codec is installed - Rush wouldn't have decoded and displayed the video prior to this prompt if it wasn't. I can run this through Adobe Media Encoder just fine. I don't get an HEVC error with it or Premiere. But I use Media Encoder anyway because I don't nead the features of Premiere - I just want to cut a clip. 

Please Adobe, can you fix this once and for all?

intercede007_0-1679754910512.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Tried every possible solution succestions but no result. Have also full creative cloud. This sucks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem is over 3 years old. Although it stops the most basic of
functions tech support seems unable to fix it. Some of the solutions here
work for some people but they have clearly not stepped up with supporting
this product and providing an update to the product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue as well, Full creative cloud subscription on a mac. Spent hours on the phone over the past several days getting tossed between tech support and accounts support on the phone. Wildly dissapointed in Adobe's overall handling on this, was hoping Rush would speed up my workflow on social media bound video content.

To be clear, the customer service reps have all been fantastic and seem to be trying their best, this looks like its an Adobe product engineering/support issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2023 Apr 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had a Creative Cloud subscription for years now that includes Rush. I hardly ever use any of it anymore but I've recently found a use for Rush. Unfortunately, I'm having the same exact problem that doesn't look like it will be resolved anytime soon. I think I should just move on from Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 02, 2023 May 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doing my head in....got the same issue. Not a heavy Rush user but handy for small "reels" type videos and had a wee project made up- went to export and getting the HVEC error like everyone else in this thread. Tried loads of the possible solutions none work for me. All used to work fine...currently on version 2.8
Seems to throw the error then I can see it start to render the first few frames of the video in the wee thumbnail then it freezes and becomes unresponsive. I have alternative video editing software I can fall back on but just means I need to start over and have better things to do with my life. Not encouraged by how long this issue seems to have existed, that they are anywhere close to fixing it. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2024 Feb 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Kenneth Halley,

I got your message. Thanks for writing in. Are you using HEVC 4:2:2 10-bit footage? If so, it's not supported. That could be the issue. Let us know. The guidance is transcoding to an editing codec or H.264 using Media Encoder or Freeware Shutter Encoder. I hope the advice helps. Sorry for the problem.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 12, 2023 May 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow - YEARS and this is still a problem? Spent time editing a video together and now I can't do anything useful since it completely fails to export. I've tried buying the codec from MS. I've tried logging out/in. I've tried renaming the project. Only after paying for a monthly plan did it start working. Which means adobe can fix this. Even though it's only $10/mo i'm going to ask for a refund because frankly it smacks of bait and switch. It's complete BS that paying for a subscription suddenly fixes a 'bug'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2024 Feb 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit: @merkk, are you using HEVC 4:2:2 10-bit footage? It's not supported. That could be the issue. Let us know. The guidance is to transcode to an editing codec or H.264 using Media Encoder or Freeware Shutter Encoder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Macgeekppc,

Sorry! As I understand it, you are working with drone footage. The drone can shoot HEVC in a .mov wrapper or an .mp4 wrapper. If on Windows, please try shooting in the .mp4 wrapper and see if that works for you. If not, you can also try transcoding the footage in Media Encoder or freeware Shutter Encoder.

Edit: @Macgeekppc, are you using HEVC 4:2:2 10-bit footage? It's not supported. That could be the issue. Let us know. The guidance is to transcode to an editing codec or H.264 using Media Encoder or Freeware Shutter Encoder.

If anyone does not fall into any of these categories reading this thread, feel free to send me a private message here.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Folks,

Just trying to upload my drone footage to Rush on my Pc, Getting a message which says: File requires HEVC CODEC which is included in a creative cloud membership. To upgrade to a paid plan go to www.adobe.com/go/video  This just takes you to a page where you download apps for your mobile phone, I don't want that, I use my Pc to edit footage, Any help appreciated 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI @Mark24234627ldaf

Thanks for the message. Are the files you are shooting .mov wrapped HEVC files? See if your drone can shoot .mp4 wrapped files instead. If a test is possible, please let the community know the outcome. I believe that .mov wrapped HEVC files are not supported on Windows PCs in the "starter" version. Hope the info helps.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of doing all that, can we get traction fixing the issue Rush has? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Intercede,

Sorry about that. It may be easier to shoot HEVC in the .mp4 wrapper moving forward if your device supports it. As I understand it, .mov wrapped HEVC should also work, as long as the app is not using the "starter" version.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

We need this fixed, the subject of the thread:

>File requires HEVC CODEC which is included in a creative cloud membership.

Rush has had this problem for everyone here since it was added as a benefit to the basic Photoshop cloud storage plan more than a year ago.

As a support engineer , where are we at with this bug fix? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Intercede,

Are you using HEVC 4:2:2 10-bit footage? If so, it's not supported in this version of Rush. That could be the problem. The says to try transcoding to an editing codec or H.264 using Media Encoder or Freeware Shutter Encoder. I hope the advice helps. Sorry for the problem.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Intercede,

Thanks for the link. With all due respect, I saw the article from Petapixel (along with a couple of others that simply copied their content) and the article has zero references to Adobe.com or its offerings. I am sure they are fine people running that site, but I'm afraid they are not operating with all the facts. If they contacted me, I could set them up with our publicity department for any articles to make sure they don't make errors like that in the future. Thank you, though!

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Macgeekppc,

Sorry! As I understand it, the drone can shoot HEVC in a .mov wrapper or an .mp4 wrapper. If on Windows, please try shooting in the .mp4 wrapper and see if that works for you. If not, you can also try transcoding the footage in Media Encoder or freeware Shutter Encoder.

Thanks,
Kevin

By @Kevin-Monahan

Can you explain why paying for the monthly subscription allows it to work? It doesn't seem like a bug if handing adobe some money instantly fixes the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day, @merkk,

Thanks for the post. Edit: It may have to do with the HEVC format being 10-bit 4:2:2-based and not the subscription. My apologies.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin, appreciate your jumping in on this!

Anyone who had a Photography plan prior to October 26, 2021 actually does get the premium version of Rush, not just the starter plan... More info & details here.

But even for those using the free starter plan, being able to import HEVC footage is not stated as a premium feature. Adobe Support would routinely tell customers who were having trouble with this error to downgrade back to Rush version 1.5.54, and that would often work.

So there seems to be more to the issue... See @petergaraway 's post further up in this thread from February 2022:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-rush-discussions/this-file-requires-the-hevc-codec-which-is-...

Further, the official (very active) bug report on UserVoice for this problem seems to have been lost and not sure what happened to it:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/916423-premiere-rush/suggestions/44518785-premiere-rush-err...

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines