• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

This file requires the HEVC codec which is included with a Creative Cloud membership. To upgrade...

Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, Adobe Premiere Rush won't import a small H.265 clip. It gives me this error when it opens the folder where the clip resides:

"This file requires the HEVC codec which is included with a Creative Cloud membership. To upgrade to a paid plan, go to..."

I have purchased Rush. I have uninstalled it then reinstalled it. I have signed in and out of Creative Cloud on the Web as well as the desktop app. I still get the error.

Also, the thumbnail of the clip, when trying to start a new project shows "Unable to Load Preview." When I select it and click Create, I get another error message:

"The importer reported a generic error."

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

TOPICS
Desktop version , Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

I believe I found a fix! I reinstalled an older version of Rush. Version 1.5.54 works. The most recent (1.5.62) and the second most recent (1.5.58) both gave me the error.

You can reinstall older versions from Creative Cloud. Click the three dots beside Premiere Rush and then 'Other versions'. Install 1.5.54.

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Macgeekppc,

Sorry! As I understand it, you are working with drone footage. The drone can shoot HEVC in a .mov wrapper or an .mp4 wrapper. If on Windows, please try shooting in the .mp4 wrapper and see if that works for you. If not, you can also try transcoding the footage in Media Encoder or freeware Shutter Encoder.

Edit: @Macgeekppc, are you using HEVC 4:2:2 10-bit footage? It's not supported. That could be the issue. Let us know. The guidance is to transcode to an editing codec or H.264 usi

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 280 Replies 280
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They've had this export problem for 3 years offering various solutions
that work for some people not others including paying. It does seem like a
bait switch however there is a lot of people on here that paid and it still
didn't work. Some people started paying and that did the trick. I agree
they should change the description that if exporting works for you Great if
not boot your PC and try again, too bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Larry,

Thanks for your post. I hope you are well today.

They've had this export problem for 3 years offering various solutions that work for some people not others including paying. 

If anyone on these user-to-user forums paid for the full version of Rush and does not have access to the HEVC codec, I urge them to reach out to Adobe support here. My colleagues can assist people with that problem there. If support cannot resolve the issue, you can also PM me and I'll help escalate your case.

It does seem like a bait switch however there is a lot of people on here that paid and it still didn't work. Some people started paying and that did the trick. I agree they should change the description that if exporting works for you, great. If not boot your PC and try again, too bad.
By @Larry2583672859j7

In a previous post on this thread, I outlined the cases where HEVC support is available (and where it is not) using Adobe Premiere Rush. It's possible that some of these people were using Rush on a Windows PC and tried to work with .mov wrapped HEVC, which is not supported in the "starter" version. At this point, we can't be sure. I have already described an easy workaround for this issue (rewrapping HEVC to .mp4 using an app like Shutter Encoder). 

Thanks again for the note and for reaching out on behalf of editors experiencing diffuculty with accessing HEVC support on paid versions of Rush. Cheers.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

If Rush is not part of the Photo Plan, why does Crearive Cloud show Rush as an application in the "Available in you plan" list and allow users to install it to encounter these problems? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the question. I'm in support, and I am mainly here to help with troubleshooting and Adobe Premiere Rush. I can't answer the specifics about the Creative Cloud's UI other than to say that it's the "starter" version of Rush that is available with the Photography plan according to the Adobe.com site. I am sorry if that's not clear. As I mentioned in another post, the specifics for the Photography plan on Adobe.com are here.

You can operate with the "starter" version and you can do a good deal with it. You just won't have all the premium functions available like syncing, access to premium content, or full access to the HEVC codec.

I don't see these limitations as a big problem since you have access to the full version of Photoshop, which I used for years for video graphics production and titling for Avid Media Composer, Media 100, and Apple Final Cut Pro before coming to Adobe. Add onto that is a fully featured video timeline within Photoshop that includes a number of features not available even in Premiere Pro. If you need some ideas on how you can work with these tools together to your advantage, I'd love to help.

As an aside, editors from my era used to make the joke, "Sure Avid/Media 100/Final Cut Pro has a Title Tool, it's called Adobe Photoshop!"

Let me know what you'd like to achieve and I can help you with your goals, especially with access to the full version of Photoshop and its use as a video creation tool. I apologize for the frustration. I do understand the disappointment of not receiving what you thought was available with the Photography subscription.

Aside from all this, if you are not satisfied with using the combination of Photoshop, Lightroom, and the starter version of Rush, (which can work together to deliver wonderfully rich video content), feel free to file a complaint here. You can also send me a PM if you need help with any support or "how to" issues.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

Sorry if I was not specific enough. Creative Cloud lists "Premier Rush" as available in my 20gb Photo plan. I'm assuming that if this were Starter Rush that it would be labeled as such. I have had the same issues as noted here and have given up on Premier Rush until this issue is resolved. It seems like the link you provide is for new users and is not applicable for long-time users who have Premier Rush in the photo plans. Either that or there is a bug in Creative Cloud that is labeling this incorrectly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attached are screen grabs from my Creative Cloud Photo plan (20GB) and the About in Adobe Premier Rush that this installs.  Please let me know how a user would know that this is Starter Rush or if this is indeed Premier Rush and Adobe Support should recognize that some Photo Plans do include Premier Rush so need to resolve this issue accordingly.

Thank you. Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

Sorry to post so many comments about this. Is Starter Rush another name for a trial version of Premier Rush? If so, how are users supposed to determine this based on the information that is provided in either their Creative Cloud or in the installed product? 

I just now noticed a message about some function that is not included that is taking me to a "buy Premier Rush" but I would never have known that this was not the full function product based on what Creative Cloud is presenting or what was installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally, the trial versions of products are in the "Apps to try" section of Creative Cloud and not the "Available in your plan" section. If this is indeed a trial version, can you have someone fix the bug in Creative Cloud that is putting this in the "Available in plan" section?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Steve,

Normally, the trial versions of products are in the "Apps to try" section of Creative Cloud and not the "Available in your plan" section. If this is indeed a trial version, can you have someone fix the bug in Creative Cloud that is putting this in the "Available in plan" section?

Sure. I can ask them about it. However, as I mentioned earlier, it's not exactly a trial version; it's a free application with an option to update to receive even more services and features. I'm not exactly sure, but that may be the stipulation as to why it's not in the "apps to try" section. Again, this is more a question for the product team. Sorry I don't have an immediate explanation as I am in support and do not have access to that info. Thanks for understanding.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

Sorry to post so many comments about this.

No problem, that's OK.

Is Starter Rush another name for a trial version of Premier Rush?

Not exactly. A trial version is typically a full version of an app limited by a specific length of time. The starter version of Rush is more like a free version of an app that you can upgrade to have access to more features and services.

If so, how are users supposed to determine this based on the information that is provided in either their Creative Cloud or in the installed product?

My advice would be to go to the page for your plan. That is the best place to determine the apps that are available to you and the functions and services that are available for each.

Creative Cloud application content is more in the realm of the product team, so I would have to ask them about the specifics and conditions around how the apps are presented to people with various subscription types. That info is a bit out of my realm of expertise. Sorry about that. I do know that the Creative Cloud app content is dynamic, so it may be different based on your subscription. 

I just now noticed a message about some function that is not included that is taking me to a "buy Premier Rush" but I would never have known that this was not the full function product based on what Creative Cloud is presenting or what was installed.

As a long-time subscriber of the Photography plan, it sounds like you should contact support to make sure that you are receiving the proper version of Rush. If you are receiving such a message, it appears that you are not, and your plan needs adjustment by support. Sorry about that.

I hope the info here has been helpful. PM me for any additional guidance, if you like.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

@steved45848663 wrote:

Attached are screen grabs from my Creative Cloud Photo plan (20GB) and the About in Adobe Premier Rush that this installs. 

Thanks for the screenshots.

@steved45848663 wrote:

Please let me know how a user would know that this is Starter Rush or if this is indeed Premier Rush and Adobe Support should recognize that some Photo Plans do include Premiere Rush so need to resolve this issue accordingly.

As to making the determination as to whether it is the starter or full version of Rush regarding the language in the Creative Cloud app, that would be a feature request for the product team. It's a great idea. I can let them know about that. Thanks for bringing that up.

For your specific case, please contact support to see why you may not have access to the full version of Rush on your legacy Photography Plan subscription. You should.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Steve,

Thanks for reaching out. I hope I can help you resolve this issue.

Kevin,

Sorry if I was not specific enough. Creative Cloud lists "Premiere Rush" as available in my 20gb Photo plan.

By @steved45848663

No problem. If you subscribed to the Photography plan before Oct. 2021 and are having problems accessing the premium features of Rush, including HEVC support, please reach out to my colleagues at Adobe Support here. The chat pod is in the lower-right of that page.

They can help you, and others, that should have been grandfathered in for the full version of Rush. I apologize that you have to take this extra step to ensure you have the correct version of Rush.

I'm assuming that if this were Starter Rush that it would be labeled as such. 

By @steved45848663

I'm not sure about that. I'll have to check with the product team on the specifics of how Rush is presented to users of the Photography plan or for those with a simple Creative Cloud "free" account on the Creative Cloud application.

You might be in a different category as a long-time subscriber and that may be reflected in the UI for Creative Cloud. Again, I urge you to contact support to resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding to the confusion is that Premiere Rush – regardless of whether a customer had the free or premium edition – used to be presented in the "Available in your plan" section...

Back in August 2021, Adobe changed this practice to put Rush under "Apps to try" if it was only the starter/freemium version and not the paid/premium edition that a customer had. More details here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-rush-discussions/rush-included-or-not-included-in-photograph...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried Adobe support for 30 mins and the best he could come up with was install windows 11.

then he ended the chat.adobe error.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @BradA,

I got your note. It appears that you got the warning that you don't have access to the HEVC codec. Which plan are you subscribed to? Is the HEVC file in a .mov container or an .mp4 container? I hope I can help you solve this. I am disappointed in the answer that the support agent gave you, not to mention pretty poor customer service. PM me if you have a case number and I can clear things up with the agent. Whether you have Windows 10 or 11, it should not matter. I apologize for that and hope to help you fix the problem.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brad,

I reviewed the case notes from the agent. It sounds like you are trying to export HEVC from a Windows 10 machine and that the solution the agent gave you was to update to Windows 11, which is not available for you. Odd, because the OS should not really matter.

Is the source footage .mov wrapped or .mp4 wrapped? We may want to test with .mp4 wrapped footage. You may also feel free to PM me a link to a test file and I can check it out here at my home office on a PC with Windows 10. You can also run the footage through Media Info and show us a screenshot here: https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

BTW, I verified that your subscription goes back before Oct. 2021, so you should be grandfathered into receiving the full version of Rush with your current Photography plan subscription. I'm asking around right now to see how I can either do that myself or have that done by one of my senior associates. I'll do my best for you and others facing this situation but I may need to ask for your patience while I find a solution for you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mp4 from a Gopro 11. Link in PM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I looked at Brad's account and he probably wasn't grandfathered in properly. His footage works fine for import and expost on PC and on Mac.  It's definitely a licensing issue. I am so sorry about that!

I'm seeing to it that this get corrected ASAP. Sorry for the hassle everyone. I will look into the possibility to auto-enable this for all who are eligible if at all possible. If not, I'll make sure that it works for anyone having trouble posting here or otherwise.

Thanks again for the clip, Brad!
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I think I have the same issue here, I have an old Photography Plan and the same error in Premiere Rush.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your post. I'm looking into the issue today. Let me see if I can get this problem fixed for people like you ASAP. I think I found out what went wrong and will report back ASAP. I apologize for the frustration.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have the photography plan only, this is the reply I got from the chat support.

I completely understand, i checked your subscription as well and I want to inform you of with the photography plan the free version of premiere rush is available and you cannot use the premium features of Rush, in order to use the premium feature you need a specific premiere rush subsrption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2023 Jul 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will we get any notofication when this happens? Im Photography Plan subscriber for several years and still have problems with 10bit h.265 hevc codec (dji drone).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll open another ticket. Maybe this time something new will happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @intercede007,

Sorry about that. It's nothing personal; I was just looking to get more info about your plan and the media you were using and I could not locate that info. All your other posts should be intact. I apologize for the frustration. I will do my best to make sure that you do get the issue resolved ASAP, if I can. I believe that I found a possible source of the problem on the back end and will be working on that tomorrow. Like Brad, it sounds like you may not have been properly grandfathered in to the full version of Rush. I will personally check details on your subscription tomorrow, as well.

Feel free to PM me for any other concerns.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @intercede007,

I looked up your profile on the backend, and you should be grandfathered in with the Photography plan. I have requested to grant you (others on the thread, and all those that qualify) access to the premium version of Rush (as I don't have that superpower), but I have not heard back from my colleague yet that can help me. I did put in a request to give me the ability to grant access. Let's hope I can get that capability to help you and others ASAP. Sorry again for the hassle.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines