• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Alternative search function (other than Zoom)??

Contributor ,
Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Has anyone used an outside search engine, other than Zoom, on their documentation?  I've used Zoom successfully for a long time and have now been tasked with finding "something better" (don't think it exists, but I try).  My requirement is that the documentation is delivered inside our software, so it's not hosted on a server, which already eliminates 90% of my options. We currently use Zoom Javascript.  Most research has led me to think that the RH search and Zoom search are the only options available...

thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you could create a really nice index. Then substitute it for the Search and rename it "predictive Search".

you will then be the belle of the ball! LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More like belle of the insane asylum, I believe..... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JGaf

Hi

I am actually using Zoom at the moment but having difficulties to integrate it into the adaptive version on Muse. The desktop version works 100% but results are not showing on tablet and phone. Will you perhaps point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm responding as I was probably one of the first to integrate Zoom into RoboHelp. How is described on my site.

The problem here is that this forum is for RoboHelp users, another Adobe product, and we have no knowledge of Muse.The search on my site uses Zoom and it works OK there on desktop, tablet and phone. My site was created with Dreamweaver. I can only suggest you ask on the Muse forum to find out if anyone has had issues with any pages that do not work on tablet or phone.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your prompt response. I had created a topic regarding Zoom integration a few weeks ago with no positive results. So I guess i have to keep testing different ways or look for an alternative to search engine. Will RoboHelp be compatible with Muse since is another Adobe product? I know is a long shoot but running out of alternatives. I have tried also Sphider but found the same integration issue with Muse, only desktop version working regardless if I create an adaptive or responsive version with Muse. Maybe I should look into a Muse alternative instead lol. Apologies for I missed the fact that it is a RoboHelp help forum and not Muse.

Thanks for your response and any help will be appreciated.

I use both Wordpress and Muse to created sites and I like Muse due to the fact that is very similar to Photoshop and InDesign and great for small projects but lately search engine and contact forms limited resources is making me think twice about using Muse altogether.

Best Regards

Cesar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp is a very different product designed for creating online help and knowledge bases. No similarity with Muse whatever. That is why I had to create a very specific way to make Zoom work with RoboHelp.

Zoom works very simply with Dreamweaver so I'm surprised it doesn't play nicely with Muse, another website creation tool if I understand correctly.

Have you tried Zoom's own forums?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Ok I see. Yes I have tried Zoom forums but no luck and I submitted a support ticket but I have to buy the professional version first I supposed before get real answers. Zoom support is not as friendly as many other software companies, for instance I got the whole forms help until it was sorted out by Simfatic forms which solved all my form needs with Muse and all was done on the full trial version in under 15 days, afterwards I purchased the software since it proved to meet all my requirements. But Zoom support is not so cooperative in this regard. It's but over 100 bucks but the kind of support doesn't really encourage me too much since they are very vague on their responses and always pushing towards paid tech support rated at 120 p/hour which will make a huge difference if I had to pay for it after purchasing their product.

I guess I'll have to move the project to Wordpress and save me a headache.

I greatly appreciate your response and advise.

Best Regards

Cesar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the only time I have heard anything but high praise about their support.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I hope you got the help you needed from zoom.

Just a note here about Wrensoft, the makers of Zoom.  I concur with Peter on their great help.  I was a Zoom user years before I was even a RoboHelp user.  While I was very comfortable with Zoom prior to learning RoboHelp, I relied on Peter's knowledge to incorporate Zoom into RoboHelp (WebHelp).  It would have taken me a long time to get up to speed enough with RH to figure out how to do it.

Wrensoft has been helpful to me...even sending me a new script, at no charge, when one didn't play well with my docs.  Perhaps you need to move to the Pro version to get the help you need.  Keep in mind they are in Australia (last time I checked) so there is a delay in responses sometimes.

I've moved on to Responsive and using RH search.  I still need to maintain previous versions of our documentation which incorporate Zoom, so I haven't abandoned it.  Using Zoom, I can see the shortcomings of native RH search, but overall, RH native search takes me where Zoom couldn't, so that's where I'm headed.  (and  RH search is a little easier to manage)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp