Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Browser Cache Issues?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2016 Mar 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RoboHelp Community!

My name is Scottie and our team is working with RoboHelp 15 generating Responsive HTML5 help. Our software's installer picks up our compiled help files nightly and we test our files using different web browsers (Chrome, Firefox, and IE). We noticed help updates were not always showing up until we reloaded or refreshed the the browser page.

We cannot force users to manually refresh/reload and our developer recommended adding the following to the html:

<meta http-equiv="cache-control" content="max-age=0" />

<meta http-equiv="cache-control" content="no-cache" />

<meta http-equiv="expires" content="0" />

<meta http-equiv="expires" content="Tue, 01 Jan 1980 1:00:00 GMT" />

This works, but I'm not sure if:

A. Do or can we create a master page with this code and then apply it to each page in our projects?

B. Anyone else has had a similar issue? If so, how did you resolve it?!

Thanks for any time and help!

Scottie Gearing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

My own question would be to ask where your users are. Are you planning on having the help hosted in a central location and updating it perhaps daily? If so, then I'd say the issue is a valid concern and you need to find a way to ensure they always see the latest and greatest.

But if your help is shipped with an application and the end user installs the app and the help doesn't really change until a new release is made available and shipped to them, it would seem the concerns are a bit overinflated.

Just some thoughts from the edge as we wait for others to chime in.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting back to me, Rick!

Currently, end users install updated files quarterly, but we are migrating the help to a local server for continuous updates by the end of summer. Our documentation team installs daily and is constantly clearing our cache.

I am curious how other users handle this issue, but I don't see any related topics! Is this a less common issue? Do you think the meta tags are the best solution?

Scottie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2016 Mar 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did a quick search for "cache" in some of the RH forums & it seems that sticking the meta tags in you Master page and then applying it to all topics (either at output via the SSL recipe or within the project itself) will get the code into the resulting HTML topics. Some threads reported issues with the TOC not getting refreshed (in fact some talked about seeing a scrambled version after content updates), but I didn't see a clear programmatic method being promoted to hack the .js code that generates the TOC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2016 Mar 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've added similar code into my screen layout because at the time I researched it, there was some question about whether meta tags in the body of an html page would be honoured. Further research suggests that it should be fine for HTML5 (based on the HTML5 specs).

However, we still experience content stickiness, especially with the table of contents. *Usually* waiting an hour after getting an update ensures the correct content displays, but even that isn't guaranteed.

(I suspect server settings and the gXMLBuffer.js file are involved, but have not gotten any further in investigating due to time and staffing constraints. I just included a Troubleshooting topic in help which explains how to change a cache setting in IE and direct people to that when bugs are submitted.)

HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2016 Mar 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for this recommendation! We're trying it and thus far it seems to be working' although, we are seeing some issues with the TOCs. At least we have a start!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp