• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't import Robohelp 11 project into Robohelp 2017....

New Here ,
Aug 19, 2017 Aug 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopeful someone can help me.

I'm not very experienced in this.

I've just upgraded the Robohelp 11 to 2017 because I couldn't generate the project to DOC / PDF as Robohelp 2011 was not compatible with Word 10 (Office 365).

When I try to open my old Robohelp 11 project in the 2017 version nothing happens!! It's all empty. What to do???

I couldn't find an exact answer elsewehere. I found a string with some very technical and for me difficult steps to go through.

Hope someone can help

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1] Do you mean Word 2010 as part of Office 365? If you do, then Word 2010 was compatible.If you meant Windows 10, then no RoboHelp 11 was not compatible

2] Given that you are having problems, then if you haven't already, create a backup. I always recommend creating the backup as a zip file. That prevents you opening it accidentally and working on it before you realise it was the backup. This way you always have a clean backup that can be used to create a new clean copy time after time.

3] Did you install with admin rights? That is essential.

4] Can you open one of the sample projects? Click Open on the RoboHelp Starter page and then click Samples in the ribbon on the left.

5] Can you create a new project?

6] Please explain a bit more about the project being empty. Do you mean it opens but none of the topics are there?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, where is your project located? Is it on your local drive? If not, move it there for the upgrade.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The project is already on local drive (laptop)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

WRT the icon change, don't worry about it. What you are seeing is the Windows file association in action. What that means is that when you installed 2017, it was the newest version of RoboHelp not just logically, but also the latest version you installed. Part of the installation process makes an association between certain file types (such as the XPJ) and the applications that should open when you double-click them in Windows.

So the only real change here would be the action that would be carried out if you see these files in Windows File Explorer and double click them. Instead of RoboHelp 11 opening, RoboHelp 2017 will open. But if you work as I do, where you open RoboHelp as your first step, THEN open the project, you should be fine.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for response

But still I've problems opening my Robohelp 11 project in 2017.

But I think Peter will know the answer. hopefully

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick has been using RoboHelp longer than I have so seek his help as well.

If this is your own laptop, you will almost certainly have admin rights. To be sure though, go to Control Panel and find your logon. It will be stated there. However, the fact that you can open the samples and create a new project indicates that is not the issue.

Have you tried doing what Rick suggested?

I'm afraid of closing down the active and correct! project in Robohelp 11.

Can I save it in a way so I'm sure it will not disappear when I try to open/edit the file again

Are you saying that you have the project open in RoboHelp 11 when you are trying to upgrade it with RoboHelp 2017. If so that is not the method. Close it. Back it up as above, Then open it in RoboHelp 2017.

If that is not it, a screenshot would help.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the project is open in 11 .

I'll try to close it in 11.

Back up - and then trying to open it in 2017.

Are leaving home now, so I try later when I'm back again

So far thanks a lot for the help to both of you.

I'll give feedback when I've tried the above mentioned

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Being open in 11 is almost certainly the issue.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Peter

That solved it! You were right:)

Thanks!!

I encountered another problem when doing Batch Generate - couldn't generate the printed documentation (I've had the problem in 11 as well)

Can you help me with that as well?

here is the screenshot.

Best Regards

Anders

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try removing the umlaut above the "a" in the path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter

Thanks for quick response!

1. Actually its Word 2016 and windows OS 10.

2. I will immediately create a backup!!

3. I don't think so. How to do that??

4. Yes I can open the samples

5.  Yes, I can make a new project

6. It opens, but it's all empty....

The situation now: I've opened both the Robohelp 11 (with the correct project and content) AND the new Robohelp 2017 (with no contents on my project file).

The icon for my Robohelp projects have all turned into to the new Robohelp ....

When I try to zip / backup my project it's also changed the icon the 2017 Robohelp.

I'm afraid of closing down the active and correct! project in Robohelp 11.

Can I save it in a way so I'm sure it will not disappear when I try to open/edit the file again

Again - thanks a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp