• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Contents and Index tabs showing garbage characters in Asian languages (RoboHelp 10)

Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2013 Apr 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Japanese and Chinese CHM files I received from my translator show the correct Asian characters in the Contents and Index tabs. I need to make a change to the help, but when I open the project or compile it, words for those tabs show as garbage characters. I have Japanese and Simplified Chinese language packs installed, and tried switching my PC language to those language, but still get the garbage characters.

One thing I notice is that in the !Language! folders for all languages, there's a !Language!.fpj file and a en_US folder with a en_US.fpj file in it. Both .fpj files include the text "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>". Should there be a different .fpj file for the Asian languages?

Any other ideas?

Edit: Also, I switched the language in the Project Settings dialog to Simplified Chinese while my PC language was set to Chinese, but that didn't change anything.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Here's the full solution.

Note: This is for HTML help files.

On your PC:

1. Make sure the appropriate language pack is installed on your PC.
  2. Select Start > Control Panel > Region and Language.
  3. On the Format and Administrative tabs, set the Format and system locale to the appropriate language/country.
  4. Restart the PC.

Note: PC display language does not have to be set to the target language.

In RoboHelp:

1. Open the Asian help project.
  2. Select File > Project Settings, then select the appropriate language.
  3. Select Fil

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
May 01, 2013 May 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Have you tested on an actual Japanese or Chinese operating system?

I ask because I believe that is necessary in order to fully present as intended. I'm doubtful it's sufficient to use an English version of Windows configured with language packs and the like.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 02, 2013 May 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, our validation group tested on Japanese and Chinese OSs and see the same problem.

So what do I have to do, install RH on a PC with an Asian OS, then compile the help on that machine? If so, aaarghh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the full solution.

Note: This is for HTML help files.

On your PC:

1. Make sure the appropriate language pack is installed on your PC.
  2. Select Start > Control Panel > Region and Language.
  3. On the Format and Administrative tabs, set the Format and system locale to the appropriate language/country.
  4. Restart the PC.

Note: PC display language does not have to be set to the target language.

In RoboHelp:

1. Open the Asian help project.
  2. Select File > Project Settings, then select the appropriate language.
  3. Select File > Generate > Primary Layout.
  4. In the HTML Help Options dialog, select the appropriate language, then click Save and Generate.

Thanks to the helpful folks at my translation agency, SDL, for showing me all the necessary settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2015 Apr 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

An update to this: When you upgrade to the next version of RoboHelp, do the language setup on your PC before you open the RoboHelp project in the new version. I upgraded a project to RoboHelp 11, then tried the above procedure, and it didn't fix the garbage characters. Deleted the upgraded project, opened my version 10 backup, completed the steps required in RobobHelp, then the Asian characters were ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp