• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How are .htm pages imported and make into the TOC?

Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a problem with RH (9) recognizing a page which I added to the project, but it seems that I did not "import" it the right way.

Situation: I had a piece of code in a page like this:

<a href="javascript:BSSCPopup('/Bearbeiten/FieldAttributes.htm');"

id="a1">Feldeigenschaften</a>

Before the path to the .htm was pointing into the file system outside the projects' directory and the folder "Bearbeiten" was somthing different. Anyway, what I did, was to create a folder in the filesystem within the projects' directory, named "Bearbeiten" and put that file "Fieldattributes.htm" into it.

Somehow it looked like the link is still broken, that is, the file does not appear in the "Topic List"-pod.

Then I added a new folder in the project tree, named "Bearbeiten" and the file Fieldattributes (Title "Feldeigenschaften") appeared. Fine.

Now I see the file in the Topic list, but it has "No" in the TOC column and TOCName empty.

The weird thing now is, that the file is not found when I click on the Popup-Link in the CHM topic.

How can I make this link work?

--

Christoph

Can add the finding, that the page isn't in the content of the CHM, when examining it using HTML Help Studio. So how can I make the newly imported HTM file visible in the TOC?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyway, what I did, was to create a folder in the filesystem within the projects' directory, named "Bearbeiten" and put that file "Fieldattributes.htm" into it.

If I follow you, you did that in File Explorer so RoboHelp didn't know about it. Then you imported that topic into Project Manager so it shows there and in the Topic List.

Unless you add that to the TOC it will not appear.

Have you recreated the link since you followed the correct procedure and add the topic into Project Manager?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Peter+Grainge  schrieb

Anyway, what I did, was to create a folder in the filesystem within the projects' directory, named "Bearbeiten" and put that file "Fieldattributes.htm" into it.

If I follow you, you did that in File Explorer so RoboHelp didn't know about it. Then you imported that topic into Project Manager so it shows there and in the Topic List.

Unless you add that to the TOC it will not appear.

Have you recreated the link since you followed the correct procedure and add the topic into Project Manager?

Thanks, Peter.

Yes, that's the way I did it so far.

How do I add it to the TOC? I probably did not recreate the link.I only hand-edited the HTML code of the BSSCPopup('/Bearbeiten/FieldAttributes.htm');

--

Christoph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you editing the TOC via internal files rather than using the user interface?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Peter+Grainge  schrieb

Why are you editing the TOC via internal files rather than using the user interface?

Well, I can drag a topic page from the project tree to the TOC and place it somewhere in the Topic tree. In that moment the topic appears to be belonging to the named TOC and is no longer that "No". (shows up in the Topic list pod accordingly).

But this is a topic page which is normally not visible in the topics, it should just be carried with the CHM and be available for a BSSCPopup within another page. So to say I need it in the TOC but it should not show up in the TOC (hidden).

Besides this: I didn't find yet the steps to add a BSSPopup link. Can anybody explain how to get such a javascript Popup embedded?

Thanks,

Christoph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you explain more about what you are trying to achieve using the popup?

Popups are generally really straightforward.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm lost. All topics in the project are part of the CHM, unless excluded by

a build expression. You only want the topic to be accessed from another

topic so just create that link and leave it out of the TOC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cristoph,

The BSSCPopup is done just by inserting a hyperlink as normal, but selecting the "Display in auto-sizing popup" radio button.

RH11_popup_option.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Amebr, fine. That what I was looking for regarding my BSSCPopup question.

@Peter Grainge:

Yes, you are right to be lost The popup should point to a page that is not in the TOC (I thought is has to be in the TOC to be found later in the .CHM). The page is in the FS in the project and it is in the project tree.

Thus I would assume it being found a runtime of the CHM. But I'm getting this javascript run time error when testing the popup.

So I thought in the first place it was due to the fact that the page was not in the TOC.

At the moment the problem persists, when I take out the page of the TOC.

--

Christoph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to have found how it works: (I'm working on that project that somneone else had created some time befor and he isn't available anymore, that's why I have to try to understand the while structure).

They used a special TOC, named "unassigned topics" and put all the pages that were only referenced in Popups into that TOC.

Seems that a topic gotta be in any TOC to be carried with the CHM. Whether the TOC is visible later in the CHM depends which TOC is displayed anyway.

So to say in my humble words.

--

Christoph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I'm not sure exactly which version introduced this feature, but RoboHelp now offers a feature whereby topics that have not been referenced in the TOC (or elsewhere) are not included in the output.

att1.png

So what you are describing would seem that this option exists in your version 9 (again, it may, I'm not certain as I don't have it available at the moment to examine) and the option is enabled.

But what's very puzzling to me about this is that you say the topic exists as a popup from another topic. And in that case, unless there is a bug with the feature, which there could have been although I don't recall ever seeing anyone report it here in the forums, the topic should have been included because it was actually referenced from a different topic.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick and to all others. I solved the riddle: As Peter already stated: I should not try to edit the HTML and introduce a new file so to say through the backdoor. Doing it straight forward, deleting the broken popup-link, creating a new, choosing the page from the project folders, and everything works fine. Excuses for the confusion. Sometimes one has to learn the hard way.

--

Christoph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

LOL, in my own experience, those lessons learned the hard way are always the most difficult to forget!

Happy for you that you sorted it!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp