• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to control fomatting used on WebHelp Index tab?

Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm using RoboHelp HTML 2015. I'm generating using a customized WebHelp layout and converting to a CHM, but the index is not indenting the sub-entries. The index does not appear to be in alphabetical order (even though it is). I have tried outputting to different WebHelp skins (WebHelp and CHM converted to WebHelp) and they all have this problem unless I select Pure HTML. I 'd prefer to use DHTML > Pure HTML to keep the Synch TOC and Search Box in Toolbar options. The same index in CHM files not converted from WebHelp and HTML5 output looks as it should. How can I control the way the index entries and sub-entries appear in WebHelp?

WebHelp with the incorrect index formatting:

webhelp index.jpg

CHM with correct index formatting:

chm index.jpg

Bonus question: At least one of my index entries shows a popup when you select it. None of the other entries do this. How can I avoid this popup from appearing on any of my entries?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

That's exactly what was happening. The modified files were left in the directory after the uninstall and reinstall. After I removed those files, the reinstall worked and the index is properly indented.

Thanks for helping me fix a user error!

Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure about your sorting issue, but I think your popup happens when you have multiple topics tagged with the same index term.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jeff. I had two topics with the same index entries. I no longer have the popups once I corrected those entries.

Now on to the problem with the index formatting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I believe Jeff is spot on with regards to the popup.

As for the sorting, you have two options for index. Binary and non-Binary. You might first try right-clicking the index in RoboHelp and see if it offers you a sort option.

tmp2.png

Assuming it's available (note that in my image, it isn't) Then you may need to sort it.

If the option is NOT available and you want to enable it. Take the following steps.

Nominate a Single Source Layout of the Microsoft HTML Help type. Then clear the Binary Index option.

Binary Index is controlled by opening the Project Settings.

tmp1.png

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried turning off the binary index, sorting the index, even using the smart index wizard. No luck on any of those. I still have the problem of WebHelp output using DHTML > Pure HTML not indenting the index sub-entries. I believe the file "whihost.js" controls the index, but I have no idea what I need to change to make this work correctly. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott

Hmmm, the suggestions I offered were an attempt to provide advice on dealing with Index sorting that you mentioned. They were not intended to provide a solution for the indentation of sub keywords.

That indenting thing will be a whole other nest of wiener dogs. LOL

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the index correct in the WebHelp before you run the script?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

The index indents the sub-entries correctly if I output directly to CHM, HTML5, or WebHelp using the Pure HTML option.

The index indents the sub-entries incorrectly if I output to WebHelp using the DHTML > Pure HTML option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try creating a new layout, not a copy.

Peter Grainge

www.grainge.org

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a new WebHelp layout and didn't change any of the settings. I generated the project and selected View Results. I selected the Index and everything initially appears to be indenting correctly (the first picture)...until I click the Allow blocked content button (the second picture).

7-27-2017 3-19-34 PM.jpg

7-27-2017 3-15-28 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what is going on as I just generated an output with DHTML > Pure HTML selected.

When I open in IE, the alphabet shows with the index and the indentation. When I allow blocked content, the alphabet goes away as it should and the indentation remains.

Create a new project with say three topics and see what you get there.

Also try the sample projects. Click Open on the RoboHelp Starter page and then click Samples in the ribbon on the left.

Have you edited any of the wh files at any time?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was about to post and say that I am seeing the same thing. What I looked at was also indented. I'm scratching my head to figure out if there's anything we can even consider that would affect this?

Obviously it's happening. And I could swear I've seen it happen on a few projects I've worked on personally. But really never gave it more thought.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter and Rick,

I have modified several file in the WebHelpExt folder, and I thought may be the source of the problem. I replaced the modified files with the original files, and the problem still exists. I've uninstalled and reinstalled RoboHelp, opened a sample project, added index entries, and the problem still exists!

I'm running RoboHelp 2015 on Windows 10. I'm going to download a trial 2017 to see if I get the same result. Can you think of anything else to try?

Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The RoboHelp 2017 trial shows the correct indentation. The 2015 version still does not. Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not 100% sure but I don't think an uninstall removes edited files.

Couple that with the possibility that you have missed something and that

could be why a reinstall is not fixing things.

Can you install on another PC that will has not been used for RoboHelp?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's exactly what was happening. The modified files were left in the directory after the uninstall and reinstall. After I removed those files, the reinstall worked and the index is properly indented.

Thanks for helping me fix a user error!

Scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp