• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to customize HTML5 output in RoboHelp?

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on RoboHelp Classic 2019 to create a HTML5 Help output. I wanted to customize the css for personalized output; therefore, I downloaded one HTML5 project so that I can update the index.htm, layout.css, and default.css. I've made changes in all three files and got the desired output (in the browser). However, when I'm updating the customized HTML (in Topic.slp) and CSS (in Layout.css and Default.css) in the RoboHelp. The changes made to the files are not reflecting in the generated output.

What I'm doing wrong?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm confused what you're doing (or in what order) - can you go through that again in order?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jeff... I'm working on RoboHelp Classic 2019 tool to Create one Responsive HTML5 output.

I wanted a customized output; therefore, I generated one sample output and started working on it locally. I've customized the index.htm, layout.css, and default.css files in the Notepad++ editor and have got the desired output (checked in the browser).

Now, returning to the RoboHelp tool, I opened the .xpj file to confirm the customizations and add more topics. But when I've generated the output again, I do not see all the functionalities I've customized locally.

Was I mistaken to customize the index.css?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope - you can't work it like that. The RH source files are different from the output files. You can either edit the project files to include your customized CSS files and then generate to see the results OR you generate and then edit the output to use your customized CSS.
Usually it's easier to modify things inside the project and do customizations on the SSL output flavour. But it depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you made updates in the output to confirm how you wanted things to look, then you made similar changes (because the source files are different from the output files) in the Screen Layout files (slp, css) in the project (Output Setup pod, Screen Layouts, right-click on the screen layout and select Explore). Correct?

And you've selected that screen layout in your Output Preset and generated again?

I just want to confirm where things are being done, as sometimes people aren't doing things the way we assume. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Amebr 

Yeah! But with one exception - I didn't make changes in the output .slp file instead I updated the index.htm for desired output.

However, while returning to RH, I copied the changes that I'd made in index.htm and added to .slp file.

What I've done wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And once you made the changes, you generated, then clicked View Result to open the fresh output?

Theoretically you should see your changes at this point, but it will depend on what changes you made and where you made them. For example, if you added something to the header but added it in the mobile section, you won't see it if you are viewing a desktop sized window.

It's extremely hard to provide any suggestions for people making changes outside the Robohelp user interface because there are so many variables involved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp