Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

<b> </b> tag not rendered in the PDF output

Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

From my experience, the tags <b></b> or <i></i> are not rendered into the PDF output. 

Therefore I created a style 'Bold', which creates a <span> tag in the html source code each time I need to bold a word. 

I think that <span> tag can be annoying when exporting to the Xliff format for the translation agency.  Indeed, in the translation tool, the xliff shows very long <source> tags with ids that make it quite unreadable... 

----------------------------------

E.g. 

<source xml:space="preserve" xml:lang="en-US">
<g id="/html[1]/body[1]/p[3]/span[2]/" ctype="x-html-span" equiv-text="span text">
<g id="/html[1]/body[1]/p[3]/span[2]/span[1]/" ctype="x-html-span" equiv-text="span text">
<g id="/html[1]/body[1]/p[3]/span[2]/span[1]/#text[1]/" ctype="x-html-text" equiv-text="text">Hello</g>
</g>
</g>
<g id="/html[1]/body[1]/p[3]/span[3]/" ctype="x-html-span" equiv-text="span text">
<g id="/html[1]/body[1]/p[3]/span[3]/#text[1]/" ctype="x-html-text" equiv-text="text"> This is
</g>
</g>
<g id="/html[1]/body[1]/p[3]/span[4]/" ctype="x-html-span" equiv-text="span text">
<g id="/html[1]/body[1]/p[3]/span[4]/span[1]/" ctype="x-html-span" equiv-text="span text">
<g id="/html[1]/body[1]/p[3]/span[4]/span[1]/#text[1]/" ctype="x-html-text" equiv-text="text">a test </g>
</g>
</g>
<g id="/html[1]/body[1]/p[3]/span[5]/" ctype="x-html-span" equiv-text="span text">
<g id="/html[1]/body[1]/p[3]/span[5]/#text[1]/" ctype="x-html-text" equiv-text="text">quite ugly.</g>
</g>
</source> 

---------------------

That brings me to my questions (3 of them):

- Do you confirm that the bold and italic tags are not rendered in HTML?

- For the translations projects, could I create them via the master project, but instead of importing xliff files, could I keep working with the html files and import them in the sub-project as-is.  Will it work? 

- Is there an alternative I haven't thought about?  

Thank you very much in advance for your enlightments. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

I commented out part of the CSS that is giving trouble and then it seems to work.

body {
font-family: 'Open Sans', sans-serif, Arial;
font-size: 12pt;
color: #6A737C;
/*font-weight: 300;*/
}

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To get bold and italic in the PDF, select the Embed Used Fonts in the Advanced settings of the preset.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply Mr. Grainge. 

After double checking, that option is already selected in my PDF output preset... 

(using Robohelp version 2020.3.32)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either create a new project with just one topic and try it there or try with the About RoboHelp sample project.

Do they generate in the same way I am seeing?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just tried with a new test project (one topic) and it works indeed. The <strong>, <b>, <i> and <em> tags are rendered in the PDF output. (cf. attachment)

What does it mean then?  Should I simply recreate my PDF output preset? 

Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think the preset is the issue and I can't see why the tags at the beginning of the project didn't work. That's really what should have been investigated rather than looking for a workaround, albeit I might well have opted for that. 🙂

In your new project import the CSS file from your main project and one of the topics giving an error. Generate that topic to PDF using just the main project CSS and see what happens, then generate using just the default.css in the new project. Logically it should work with the default.css but not the css from your main project.

Is that what happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

Sorry for the delay in my reply. I'm still investigating.... 

I did as you mentioned, but my CSS is working in my test project.... So there must be something else... 

It realise it might be linked to the book.css file.... cause I got rid of it... which might have been my mistake....  

Still testing....  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I created my main project with the first release of RH20... then it got upgraded several times... But maybe it comes from there....   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are referring to MY CSS, singular. I suggested trying both CSS files in the test project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt this is the upgrading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so: 

In the new/test project, generate that topic to PDF:

• using just the main project CSS: the styles are not taken into account.  It seems it's still the default.css that applies.  So the tags are rendered fine. (I defined the main project CSS in the project settings and to each topics)
  • using just the default.css in the new project: tags are rendered fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you applying the main.css when you generate?

Look at the topic properties. You should only see main.css there.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yep, correct.  That's what I have. Only one CSS linked. 

Sandra42_0-1614777304820.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to have just your new project default css and see how that works. I think that is working OK from what you have said.

Then you need to delete that and add the css from your project giving the problem. Does the problem then come back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it does come back...  I've compared the two css files, but I can't see a difference that could be related to that matter... 
I mainly changed the font family type, font size and colours...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK so you now have a small test project where with one CSS it works and with the other it does not.

See the Contact page on my site and send that project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I commented out part of the CSS that is giving trouble and then it seems to work.

body {
font-family: 'Open Sans', sans-serif, Arial;
font-size: 12pt;
color: #6A737C;
/*font-weight: 300;*/
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Brilliant!  Thank you so much! 

Bold is rendered in the PDF ! 

I'm ready to clean up the html now and to test again the Xliff format.  

Cheers. 

Have a great day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp