• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH10 Image folder not importing with HTML file

Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to save Word documents as HTML in order to get the styles to import correctly into RH10 (I also tested it on RH17 with the same result). Apparently our system security messes up Word imports, so I have to convert them to HTML first.

However, Robohelp only imports the HTML file itself, NOT the folder that contains the images. It creates an image folder in Robohelp, but it's empty. When I right-click the folder and attempt to import the images from the source folder, Robohelp doesn't "see" them. The images are .jpg and .png files.'' You can see from the image that the highlighted folder does not have a + sign.

Is it possible to import .html files from Word? I have no problem importing them from other Robohelp projects.Image Folder.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

I just figured it out. There are two options to save a Word document to HTML. The one that works - the images import with the document - is "Web Page, Filtered (*.htm, *html). (The regular Webpage option doesn't work.) Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just figured it out. There are two options to save a Word document to HTML. The one that works - the images import with the document - is "Web Page, Filtered (*.htm, *html). (The regular Webpage option doesn't work.) Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still unsure of why you can't import Word docs straight in (subject to you setting up the RH styles to be translated into upon import).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted a message about this a few weeks ago. When I import Word documents, the style names change, and the style sheet doesn't work anymore. I have to manually reapply styles to every line of text in the topic. I've had an entire development team working on this with me, and the conclusion is that our system is haunted. Word and Robohelp do not behave appropriately on this system because the security is hyper-intense, and something breaks software. However, saving the file as HTML seems to be an adequate workaround.

My entire life now is finding workarounds for stupid, unfixable problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread? - RH2017 Import style mapping buggy??? - you never came back with any news about if you got updated and if it fixed it.

btw - that thread refers to RH2017 & this one talks about RH10 - are you using both? And if so, is your RH10 version up to date? The only security issues I could imagine interfering with a Word import would be the action that RH does to convert the Word doc on the fly for import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use both. One project is CHM in RH10 and the other is HTML5 in RH2017. The problems are in both versions, which are fully updated - that was part of the troubleshooting we've been doing for weeks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what happens when you set up the mapping between RH and Word styles? Are you using a saved .isf file? Can you show some screen shots of what's happening or post a video link to the process? That might give Word to RH experts like Peter & Rick an idea of what's happening...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problems go on and on. I can't import Word at all into the RH10 project. I get an error saying I need to use a more current version of Word (I'm using 2013, and it's asking me for anything newer than 2003. At this point, who cares anyway??? ) I can't update the project to RH17 because I share it with someone who can't get a license upgrade to 2017 at the moment.

When I import Word into RH17, the import process (we're not sure if it's Word or RH that's messing up) adds additional characters to the style names, and changes lower case characters to upper case. The style sheet just goes dead because nothing maps anymore.

I created a new style sheet that contained both my style names and the "import" style names. The import style naming is actually consistent, so I thought that would work. That way the bogus styles would have something to map to. And they do - but they don't keep the proper attributes, so I still have to apply styles to fix the look/feel of the topic.

See the image. Before I created this new style sheet, "Bullet1" was "bullet1," but the import capitalized the B, so it didn't map anymore. Then it added all the other Bullet1 variations - changing the style name for first bullets to Bullet1CXSpFirst, the last one, or one in the middle. See the style names in the image. I'm not sure what Bullet1_RH represents, but it shows up frequently.

We've tried different equipment, we've tried test environment, we've tried VPN, we've tried different software versions, different operating systems, you name it. There are two of us using Word - I do online work and the other does printed manuals. Both of us experience our own personal hell in Word (you can't even get a font to stick - it reverts to Calibri but SAYS it's "Verdana". Try working with that.), but I get the added bonus of Broken Robohelp. It's really not something for Peter or Rick. It's something for the Software Gods, and they are forsaking me.

Style Sheet.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those names are familiar and dealing with this is covered on my site, as I said before.

The message re Word versions should only be seen when creating printed documentation See Compatible versions of OS and MS Word with RoboHelp Thus it should only be seen by your colleague when she tries to create printed documentation using RoboHelp 10. Really printed documentation should be done with RoboHelp 11 or above as the process changed in 11 for the better.

All RoboHelp does is first save the file as a filtered web page so it shouldn't be any different to you doing it, except that it will also bring in the images which is where this thread started.

The process can be made to work and I spent many hours experimenting and documenting. I could try importing one of your documents if you will share it. See the Contact page on my site and send the document as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

However, if you think this is something not for me or Rick, then good luck with the software gods whoever they might be.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter - I can confirm that you get honked at in RH10 & RH11 about the Word version when you try to do an import. I just tried doing one from the Starter page labelled "Import Word Document". It creates the project and pops the import screen, but when it tries to process the doc, it wants the "desired" Word version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff. It shouldn't matter what version a Word document was created in but I guess it's about RoboHelp's use of Word saving the file as web filtered that is causing this.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, apples and oranges. We're not talking about importing filtered webhelp. That's my workaround for the problem of importing .doc files. I don't work with printed documentation, so I have no access to those documents. My colleague does not create printed documents in Robohelp, so this has nothing to do with her, and I'm not sure how to interpret your reply regarding that.

Also, your site is vast and I'm at work, so I don't have time to browse and sift through. I've also moved past the troubleshooting and am now settling for workarounds. If you could please encapsulate a "quick fix" solution in your reply that would help. Copy/paste? Otherwise, no problem. I'm moving on. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are pretty entry level topics and don't address my issues. I thought Peter said he had one that specifically addressed the "CSXPFIRST" names, or the fact that the import process changes uppercase to lowercase, and vice versa (whichever one you use in Word, it changes to the other in the import process) so the style sheet doesn't map.

That kind of topic might be helpful, but I honestly don't think you guys can help with this. As I explained, it's not just Robohelp. We're having issues in Word as well. And a team of developers couldn't get to the bottom of it. I was just answering your questions because you were curious about what I was going through. At this point I can't spend any more time on getting to the bottom of it because I have deliverables due. But thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it pretty insulting that you call them "entry level" when they cover pretty much every detail of the process. Of course there will always be something that hasn't been covered and I try to add those as they arise. Yes I did say I had seen the list styles issue and the following is from my "entry level" topic. How I dealt with it is covered.

<p class="ListParagraphCxSpFirst">

<p class="ListParagraphCxSpMiddle">

<p class="ListParagraphCxSpLast">

I did offer to look at one of your documents so that you could get on but I'll bow out now.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, you've always been snippy with me. For years. Patronizing. At times even rude (like that time you said you couldn't answer my question properly unless I referred to v2017 as "Robohelp 2017" instead of RH17. Wow.)  If I encounter a bug, it's my fault, not a bug. It's tiresome. You don't read my posts thoroughly, and you refer me to your website instead of providing a simple answer to a simple question. I've been using Robohelp for 25 years. Most of your site addresses people who are learning. I come out here when I encounter things I haven't seen in those 25 years, and you respond with, "Go to my website." No. Your website is too wordy for a quick perusal, and it's for a different audience. But thank you for your kind attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it's just a cultural thing? I've always found Peter to be consistently genial. I know things often come across differently in writing.

I know he genuinely wants to help folks work past the issues they are experiencing.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 2017 v 17 thing is something I ask everyone simply because it helps people when searching. Did I actually refuse? I don't recall going that far.

I haven't used the word "bug" here as I don't think you are encountering any bugs, just a process that is not easy.

I accept I missed a point about you having got the images to import but I have read your posts. The reason I say go to the website is because it explains things in detail and some things like the issues you are having here do not have a quick answer. I even offered to look at one of your documents to see if I could narrow it down and provide the answer.

Perhaps best that I leave others to help you here and with other posts.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Peter. That would be great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maureen1524​ - are you able to share one of the Word docs that have given you issues? Send me a PM and I'll give you my e-mail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For the benefit of anyone else reading this thread and thinking I would refuse to answer a question because of the use of RoboHelp 17 rather than 2017, what I did was correct the version number and state that I had done so in thread.

I knew the answer but Rick had replied before I was able to return to the thread.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You started the thread I have to save Word documents as HTML and later referred to saving the page as WebPage Filtered. What I said was All RoboHelp does is first save the file as a filtered web page...so we are talking about the same thing.You are saving the document as web page filtered and then importing that. I missed that you saving as web page filtered does bring in the images.

In this thread you said There are two of us using Word - I do online work and the other does printed manuals.and I nterpreted that as meaning from RoboHelp.Obviously incorrectly.

Yes the site does cover a lot but the menu clearly shows Importing. The direct link is Importing and Linking Word Documents but it's quite a topic. There is no quick and easy fix but once you have mastered it, then it's relatively easy. The choice is yours, keeping wasting lots of time or invest some one off time to get a process that works for you.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a video, but I can't post it on the internet and give you a link from here. I don't see any other way to upload it. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp