• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Robohelp 2020 Frameless pdf download button

Participant ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Robohelp 2020, I have used the dark skin with skin homepage. I am adding a pdf for the Reader to down the complete guide in pdf. I can see that the pdf download button is added to the Topic Page. Is it possible to move it to the guide's homepage? Attaching images for more understanding. Why I am asking this because I am giving the entire pdf to be downloaded, not only one topic. So ideally putting it on the homepage will be more logical.

Frameless pdf.png

Frameless pdf1.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

@Peter Grainge @Jeff_Coatsworth @Amebr I tried giving the pdf filename in the URL field and pasting the pdf file into the output folder. It redirects and works well then.

Achal___0-1670498107675.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you add the Download button? What's your output Preset look like? I suspect you haven't indicated the correct start page, but I can't be sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once we add the pdf file in the Preset settings, the download button is automatically enabled on the topic page.

Achal___0-1670334587584.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you giving it a Home page in that Layout tab?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no option to select the Homepage layout, by default it is enabled on the Topic page

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I'm talking about that "Home Page" field - 2 fields down from that "PDF to Download" field you filled in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that basically allows selecting a topic which is displayed just below the Tiles on the homepage

Achal___0-1670353767816.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, well then I think you're going to have to involve a web developer to mess around with your output to get that download button placed where you want it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that level of customization possible in the output?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure it is - they're just web pages after all. You'd have to reapply any customization each time you generated unless they can hack the source files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The User Assets section of the skin is for adding supporting files to your skin. So if the button can be added using javascript you can add the javascript and supporting files such as images there, and you won't have to worry about modifying the output after generating. A web developer should be able to help if you have access to one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you can put an image on the Home Page to download the PDF but you can put a link there.

image.png

Click Add Link and complete these fields.

image.png

You will need to work out the URL to where the PDF is located on the server. There isn't an option to use an image.

If you remove the topic link, the PDF will need to be uploaded manually. You could add it to the TOC and select the Hide option. Then users will not see it there although that would give them a further access point.

There is of course a danger they will download the PDF and then use that and miss updates in the online help.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Peter Grainge , Yes this option I am trying to work out the URL part. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter Grainge What will be the URL format if we are giving a topic link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open it from a topic page on the server which is already uploading it. That should give you the URL.

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same answer. Open the topic and grab the URL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, this help guide is supposed to be shipped with the Product. And I want to keep it internally in the project folder and give a link, so even if the system is offline, the user can download the pdf. In another word, I want to give a file link from the asset folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now you tell us. 🙂

That does complicate it a bit. What I would try is putting the PDF in the assets folder and then adding a to it in the TOC. Select Hide so the user does not see it there. That will get the PDF uploaded with the project. Then generate an output and locate the PDF in that. What I think you need is a relative path from the index.htm file to the PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter Grainge Just trying to find the relative path from the index.htm file 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution for this is the browse option which is added in RH 2022. https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/RH-10539

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like going to RH2022 makes sense then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter Grainge @Jeff_Coatsworth @Amebr I tried giving the pdf filename in the URL field and pasting the pdf file into the output folder. It redirects and works well then.

Achal___0-1670498107675.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Why paste it in, too easy to forget an update later? I have already explained how to make it upload when you generate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp