• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

script error while trying to take a print from a chm output.

Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am getting a script error while tring to take a print from a chm output. Please help.

ScriptError.png

TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have edited your post as this is nothing to do with RoboHelp Server, that is used for online outputs and is a separate program. I have applied the Classic tag as I am guessing you are not using the 2019 New UI version. If you are, then please say so. 

One thing I notice is in the top left of your screenshot is a dialog Collecting Files to Print. Are you trying to print all topics in a book? That has never worked well to the best of my knowledge and I think the only answer is don't use that option. Sorry but it's not a RoboHelp issue as that comes from the Microsoft compiler that is used to create the CHM. Microsoft last updated that in 2004 so don't expect any fix on that!

Otherwise I don't know the cause of the issue but there are posts on this type of issue so please try a search while waiting for someone who may be able to assist.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Robohelp Classic 2019.

Are you trying to print all topics in a book? yes

I am using the second option - Print the selected heading and all the sub topics as shown in the imageScriptError_2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry even when you can get that to work, the results are horrible. All styling is lost and it's a mess.

The only thing I can offer is give up before they lock you up for your protection. 🙂

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked into this a bit more and found that what used to happen is that it would print all the topics but they would be a mess. See this post. Long time since I used CHMs, hence not recalling that.

There is also something on my site at http://www.grainge.org/pages/snippets/snippets.htm See CHMs Item 2.

So perhaps the first thing to ask is do you get the same error if you try to print just one topic?

Try moving the CHM to something like C:\CHM_Test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Peter. I will read it and get back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

1) How to find this particular line and Char: Line: 1084 and Char 103 as the error messsage says "An error has occured in the script on this page"

What is StrUrl Error?

2) I tried to generate PDF using PDF Output and Printed documentation. But i am getting error in the end. Could you please let me know how to print properly formatted PDF and Word using Robohelp.

Thanks 

Lija

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What error are you getting when trying to generate in Robohelp?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am getting "failed to generate printed documentation"

PDFError.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thread started with a script error when printing a CHM. Now you have posted...

1) How to find this particular line and Char: Line: 1084 and Char 103 as the error messsage says "An error has occured in the script on this page"

What is StrUrl Error?

2) I tried to generate PDF using PDF Output and Printed documentation. But i am getting error in the end. Could you please let me know how to print properly formatted PDF and Word using Robohelp.

Is this script error when generating a CHM, a PDF or a Word document?

Is the error when generating PDF or Word the script error in 1 above or some other error?

If these points are just about PDF and Word and not the CHM issue, I will branch this part into a new thread for clarity. Let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this script error when generating a CHM, a PDF or a Word document? CHM. Attaching the screenshot again:

ScriptError.png

I just wanted to understand what is strUrl and How to find this line and Char.

Is the error when generating PDF or Word the script error in 1 above or some other error? No

Since i am trying to generate PDF. I thought of posting below question in this thread. As generating PDF from CHM was not successful.

Question I tried to generate PDF using PDF Output and Printed documentation. But i am getting error in the end. Could you please let me know how to print properly formatted PDF and Word using Robohelp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally when you have a different question it is best to put that in a new thread. Otherwise answers to the two issues get muddled up.

CHM SCRIPT

That script is from the compiled CHM so it is put there by the Microsoft compiler that RoboHelp uses. I don't think it can be accessed. What that string means I can't help with. Maybe Google it and some developer site will help.

Please don't take offence if I ask your level of experience with RoboHelp and whether you are simply researching CHMs or actually need to use them. They are an old technology and whilst they still work, they are used less and less.

PDF/WORD

There is information on my site about generating printed documentation. I would concentrate on getting the output right in Word first. Whatever you fix there may well resolve the PDF issue.

Also generate only to Word while you have issues, deselect the PDF.

See if that helps. If not, then some back in a new thread for the PDF and Word issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding the "Failed to generate printed documentation" when generating a pdf, I've been getting that constantly in my testing because something keeps disabling the PDFMaker plugin in Word. (It should remain enabled, but I'm waiting for a new computer before getting IT to troubleshoot it. I'm currently leaning towards the antivirus...)

I also hope i'm not barking up the wrong tree - I can't find any documentation about PDFMaker related to Robohelp, but I can't generate to pdf when this add-in is disabled. I do have Acrobat DC (not Reader) and Distiller.

To check the PDFMaker is enabled by doing the following:

1. Open Word.
  2. Select File > Options.
  3. Click the Add-ins section in the left panel of the dialog box.
  4. If Acrobat PDFMaker is listed in the Inactive Application Add-ins:
    • In the Manage list, select COM Add-Ins, click Go, and select the checkbox next to Acrobat PDFMaker Office COM Addin. OK out of the dialog boxes.
  5. If Acrobat PDFMaker is listed in the Disabled Application Add-ins:
    • In the Manage list, select Disabled Items, click Go, click on Acrobat PDFMaker and click Enable. OK out of the dialog boxes.
  6. Try generating the PDF again

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2020 Mar 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Acrobat PDF maker is already enabled and the PDF is still not generating.

Anyway, i generated the Word copy, formatted it and generated PDF from it.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Lija

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp