• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unmerging merged projects

Participant ,
Jan 10, 2012 Jan 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I inherited a merged help system created using RH 8 that has 40 merged projects, about 3,000 total topics, with several of the merged projects containing about 5 topics.  Since I will be the only technical writer maintaining the project, I would prefer to re-combine the projects into one project.  Is there an easy way to do this?  Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 10, 2012 Jan 10, 2012

There's nothing difficult about it, apart from the ***** ache.

You have to import all the topics into one project, fix all the links, rework the TOC, index and glossary etc. Getting the idea?

It seems odd to create a project with just five topics unless there is a very good reason. Are you sure you are familiar enough with what you have inherited to be entirely sure your predecessor didn't have some reason.

3,000 topics in one project should be OK but try to avoid too many in any one folder. If yo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's nothing difficult about it, apart from the ***** ache.

You have to import all the topics into one project, fix all the links, rework the TOC, index and glossary etc. Getting the idea?

It seems odd to create a project with just five topics unless there is a very good reason. Are you sure you are familiar enough with what you have inherited to be entirely sure your predecessor didn't have some reason.

3,000 topics in one project should be OK but try to avoid too many in any one folder. If you also have lots of images then test things as you go. I have had more than 3,000 topics in a project but I have also seen people have issues with a smaller number but a high number of images (into four figures).

Perhaps do it in stages still having a merge but with fewer projects, see how that goes for a while and then amalgamate more.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.  Doesn't sound as difficult as I thought it might be (considering the number of separate projects).  It looks as if 80% of the topics are already in one project.

I know the technical writer previously maintaining this system anticipated having assistance from other technical writers and thought it would be easier to have separate projects for individuals to work on.  I also know the separate projects were designed for printing a complete document of each project.  I will mark your first answer as correct.  Thanks.  Two follow-up questions if you have any thoughts on these.  Is there a limit to the number of printed documents that can be defined within one help project?  Since the .hhc file has "merge" coding for where each of the separate parts of the TOC need to be inserted, if I'm careful, is it OK to just cut and paste the .hhc files to make the TOC (and similarly create the Index by appending all the item name parts of the .hhk files)?  Or am I better off just re-adding these items through RoboHelp?  Again, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not aware of any limit on the number of print layouts.

You could try editing the HHC in a text editor, just make sure you back up things first.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp