• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can someone explain this for to me please?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2023 Aug 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear forum members

I have attached the new disclaimer screenshot that we all have to agree to when we submit content and I am absolutely fine with most of it but there is a bit that really bugs me. The trademarks and intellectual property, On this one I have had quite a fair amount of rejections. What does Adobe class as Trademark or Intellectual property? As someone who takes mostly aerial shots of cities and urban areas I tend to avoid supermarkets, gas stations, shopping centers and all these type of things. Sometime is just a city skyline with skyscrapers and it still gets rejected under Trademarks and IP, other very similar photo of the same gets approved. Are bridges, churches, castles and so on under IP? Things like Eiffel tower, Golden bridge, London Bridge, Blackpool tower, and so on? Because I can not imagine obtaining a property release be practical for such subjects. I do genuinely avoid having such logos or such on my images and I spend a lot of times scanning and erasing them but there will be times when I may unknowingly submit images that from the reviewers point of view contains IP. Does this mean they can suspend my account, as it says on the disclaimer? 

I am very new here, only started contributing few months ago and still trying to find my way around so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank You

Image.jpg

TOPICS
Contributors

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 29, 2023 Aug 29, 2023

Aerial shots may include prohibited items such as car license plates, company logos on buildings, signs with logos or trademarks ect. Also, some buildings, if they are the main subject, may be protected.

All of these items, must be removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 29, 2023 Aug 29, 2023

Check this for guidance: https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/known-image-restrictions.html.

And yes, as the message says, your account can be suspended for many IP violations. For all stock companies, IP issues is probably the biggest thread. You should be able to learn from rejections.

As you are in areal photography, you really need to be careful about the privacy, that may also earn you IP rejections. Do not resubmit an IP rejection, if it is unclear to you why it has been reje

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aerial shots may include prohibited items such as car license plates, company logos on buildings, signs with logos or trademarks ect. Also, some buildings, if they are the main subject, may be protected.

All of these items, must be removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ralph_L. Thanks for the reply. 

Car registration plates do not show on aerial footage. There is just no way. You need to be on a street lever to clearly read them. Logos on the buildings (particularly under the construction ones)  you are right and I do try to erase them. But this seem to be such a broad spectrum with lot of gray areas and different image stock platforms seem to have a quite different approach to from each other.  What gets rejected on Adobe Stock seem to get approved on the other platforms and vice versa. More importantly, are landmarks considered IP? Such as the one I have mentioned on the OP. 

Cheers. If that's the case, there is no point of doing urban images because there is always going to be a building or something that is a creation of someone else in the image. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check this for guidance: https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/known-image-restrictions.html.

And yes, as the message says, your account can be suspended for many IP violations. For all stock companies, IP issues is probably the biggest thread. You should be able to learn from rejections.

As you are in areal photography, you really need to be careful about the privacy, that may also earn you IP rejections. Do not resubmit an IP rejection, if it is unclear to you why it has been rejected. You need at least to modify some aspects of your picture.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. 

I do not re-submit the rejected images. Let me re-phrase the question to a more simplified version. 

Are landmarks such as Eiffel Tower, London Bridge, Golden Bridge, state prisons, and so on IP protected? 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read the guidance for known image restrictions. The situation may be more complicated as that. Cityscapes are rarely protected. Objects as the main subject may be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a list of known IP protected assets on the Adobe help pages, however I'm certain that it is not comprehensive. I've never found a truly comprehensive list, as it would need to cover the whole world! Adobe appears to be rather conservative in marking images as "IP rejections", and unfortunately there's nothing you can do about it because there's no avenue to dispute the Moderators' findings.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2023 Aug 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I've read somewhere, the Eiffel Tower can be used commercially if it appears in daylight images. But not at night when it is lit up. So it is becoming more and more complicated to understand what is and what is not IP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a list of known restrictions in Adobe's help,pages, but it's not comprehensive. I think the moderstors are conservative when it comes to IP. If in doubt, refuse !

https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/property-release.html

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2023 Aug 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I've read somewhere, the Eiffel Tower can be used commercially if it appears in daylight images. But not at night when it is lit up. So it is becoming more and more complicated to understand what is and what is not IP.

By @daniellei4510

That's correct. The Eiffel Tower itself is not protected by copyright, because of its age, but the light show on the tower is. That is why night pictures are not available for commercial use (except for those released by the rights' owner). 

And @Jill_C is right, if in doubt, it's a refusal. Some refusals are straightforward, but some are very difficult to understand. Every so often, it's just a matter of from where the picture has been taken. I suppose IP rights are a critical part of this business. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's very insightful explanation, thank you for that and it makes sense. As I said it initially, my only concern is submitting something that I myself believe in not intrigue any IP rights and getting penalized for that. That's why I opened this topic and already learned a lot. I only started contributing on May this year and I have relatively small portfolio of 340 images but have had a large amount of rejections (IP and also quality issues) of 99 photos up to know and really waning to bring that to minimal level. From my early experience Adobe is maybe the only platform worth focusing on and really happy with how things are going so far. Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A ratio of 340 to 99 assets is OK. With the time, you will learn more about the rejections (hopefully), especially IP. Moderators are excellent at detecting tiny logos everywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far, you have a reject rate of ~22% which is not bad at all for a beginner. I'm sure mine was higher in the initial months as I gained experience in analyzing my images prior to,upload and learned more about IP restrictions.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had about 600 rejections out of about 3,000 submissions. I think the majority of these are for quality issues rather than IP violations.  I can live with this OK but am worried about account suspension for an inadvertent IP issue. So far I have never had my account suspended and can often successfully fix the IP issues. Does anyone have any idea about how egregious IP violations have to be to trigger an account suspension? Do we need to be afraid to submit any landscapes where inadvertent IP issues might creep in or where the IP protocol may be open to interpretation? I am guessing you can probably get suspensions lifted fairly easily at first, but this will get harder after repeat suspensions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's only a theory, but I suspect that if the moderator catches an IP issue, the image is rejected and that's the end of it. But if someone REPORTS an IP issue on an image that was accepted, the account is suspended pending an investigation, which I suspect amounts to verfifying if there is indeed an issue and removing it if so, and possibly pointing out the issue to the moderator who accepted the image to help them avoid such errors in the future. Again, only a theory. But yeah, if your submissions were graded on a right answer (3000) / wrong answer (600) graded test, that's an 83.33% acceptance rate. It could stand improvement but it's not bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can live with this OK but am worried about account suspension for an inadvertent IP issue. So far I have never had my account suspended and can often successfully fix the IP issues. Does anyone have any idea about how egregious IP violations have to be to trigger an account suspension? Do we need to be afraid to submit any landscapes where inadvertent IP issues might creep in or where the IP protocol may be open to interpretation?

By @guruwala

Let's face it: Some contributors submit again and again the same picture with the same IP violation. As soon as Adobe feels that you are gaming the system (when they don't see it, it's OK), you will get suspended. I had until now one asset that clearly had an IP violation, but that the moderator did wink through. I've deleted that asset after detecting it.

I'm convinced that the IP violation is aimed at the generative AI contributors who use IP-related prompts and then massively overflow the moderation queue with those assets.

An IP violation from time to time may occur in a picture and sporadically the contributor is not aware of that. No need to panic as long as they don't get systematic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the most part, I've found skylines that don't have a particular focus to be ok.  It there is an emphasis on a particular building or car or similar, that's where IP starts to kick in. 

In my experience, there tends to be a lot of grey area in regards to IP.  My model of car pops up a lot in Stock with the logos removed but without restrictions.  Even though the logos are removed, it's still be clearly that model.  

IP protection doesn't stop you from photographing something for the most part, but only using it commercially.  Perhaps photos with protected IP would be good candidates for Editorial Use Only.  You can only submit Editorial content with more than 100 sales though.  Cheers!

George F, Fine Art Landscape Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You so much George. That makes sense. Unfortunately still 28 downloads away to go to editorial, Once that has been enabled, I will submit under that for anything I am not sure.  Cheers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe will not automatically accept such assets, unless they have a strong editorial concept. Here's what the rejection reason says:

"We are looking for imagery intended to illustrate articles on current events and news, focused on conceptual imagery using real brands and products to convey strong ideas.

The most common cases for rejection from that collection are:

• The file includes identifiable people.
  • The file is news or documentary editorial.
  • The file did not have a strong editorial concept.
Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only have four photos in three years that have been rejected for that reason. So that's not too bad. See picture. The first and last are buildings in my hometown, which are accepted on Shutterstock. The second photo is of a castle in Germany, which I actually expected. I did not expect the tractor with no brand on it, because several photos of tractors of mine have been accepted.
I wouldn't try the castle now, but the other examples are less clear. I didn't put another unbranded tractor photo on Adobe today because of the chance of being blocked. This isn't fun anymore.
I actually think you're being treated like a naughty schoolboy. If you make a mistake you will be punished. Although.. if a school in the Netherlands would do this, there would (rightly) be a lot of angry parents (I am a retired teacher).
This is probably due to all the misery of AI that I'm too old to deal with. I don't think this is the solution.adobe.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines