Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copyright of ancient Egyptian artifacts

Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Can someone explain me please how it is possible to have copyright of ancient Egyptian artifacts (photographed in Museum of Egyptian Antiquities, Cairo)?

Those artifacts are created 3-4-5000 years ago. (example below)

Regards

_M2A7177.jpg

TOPICS
Contributor critique

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, You took it in a museum, so because of that, I think it comes under copyright protection. You may have to get a release from the museum so it can be used for commercial purposes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ricky336,

Can you please clarify what is the difference between artifact in museum (like this on the photo) and artifact on field (like sphinx for example). I do not get it.

P.S. Of course I do not search for legal advise just clarification

Romeo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I guess one is inside and protected, and one is outside, exposed to the elements. That could make a big difference!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is interesting point. But, if you forgive me, this do not make much sense for me. For this (to be inside) I pay the ticket

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Copyright and IP rights are a difficult topic. Adobe errs on the side of caution. This is a common topic and this kind of thing happens a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rninov, Copyright is all about ownership and rights to use the object, place or model for commercial earnings. If it is a field artifact, like the Sphinx in the field, It is earning money for the owner or country via tourism. So you can get their permission or find out if it is already listed as okay for the public. The museum, however, has expenses and earns money - which they do with their exclusive use of the artifact. They might give you a release.

This copyright issue is only going to increase so play it smart and get the releases if Adobe requests one. It will serve you well to study the copyright guidelines in Adobe's information to contributors of stock. Here is a spot to do research. Best regards, JH

Property release and protection guidelines for Adobe Stock should give you a clearer understanding of what is required. Known image restrictions will give you a more comprehensive knowledge of what is not accepted, and with other's, what composition is accepted. To the extent of the strictness and tightness of the reviews, I do not think anyone gets a pass from Adobe reviewers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joan, I see.

Personally do not agree with some interpretations of copyright, but at the end I am not lawmaker

Will check known image restrictions. Let assume the situation is a bit more clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inside of a museum, you have the museum fixing the rules. So you need to prove that you can post the pictures. On the field it is depending on the current legal situation. Take the Eifel tower in Paris. Daylight pictures may be used at you discretion. Night pictures need a release. If the situation is unknown to the moderator, he decides following general appreciation.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha, so the point is museum define the rules. This explain the things. But IMHO it's not fair and they can forbid photo in entire museum (but they did it only for two rooms).

The situation with  Eifel tower is a bit different. You need release not for night photos, but for photos of the lightening of Eifel tower (which is under trademark as far as I know). If they stop the light you have full rights to make and sell night photos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2018 Oct 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

rninov  wrote

The situation with  Eifel tower is a bit different. You need release not for night photos, but for photos of the lightening of Eifel tower (which is under trademark as far as I know). If they stop the light you have full rights to make and sell night photos

That's correct. If there is no light you can take a picture of the Eifel tower...

rninov  wrote

Aha, so the point is museum define the rules. This explain the things. But IMHO it's not fair and they can forbid photo in entire museum (but they did it only for two rooms).

That's not quite correct. The moderator supposes that the pictures taken inside of the museum need a property release from the museum, except if it is common knowledge that taking pictures inside of that museum is allowed for stock photography (most museums allow for taking pictures for private use). This is a general rule for all inside pictures where the subject is recognizable. A fruit taken inside a room on a table does not fall under this rule.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines