• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copyrights

Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I just signed up for an Adobe Stock account. I have content (Photos) and I am the one included in those photos. I would like to sell the images online using this platform, now would I need a copyright for my own photos? And in the case of the section which asks if there is a recognizable model or property, Do I need to hit Yes or No?

TOPICS
Contributor critique , Contributors , Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

The rules for Adobe stock contributor say, that you need to be the creator of the assets. So basically, you can't upload the pictures. The copyright owner is the photographer. You can assume, that the copyright in the great lines is everywhere in the world similar. So posting a picture of you, without the consent of the copyright owner, is not to be recommended. On the other side, the copyright owner would need to have your consent to post the pictures because you have a right to control your im

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

If someone else took the photographs, you can't submit them.

If you took a selfie, you must submit a signed model release to use your likeness commercially.

https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/model-release.html

Photographers who have 100% ownership rights can submit their work to Adobe Stock for commercial sale.  The photographer retains all rights to the image. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/submission-guidelines.html

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The laws may vary depending on your location, but here in the United States photos are automatically protected by copyright when they are taken.  There is a formal process to go through that has additional benefits, but I don't know the exact benefits honestly.

Yes, If there is recognizable people or things in a photo then you should check the box.  If you took a photo of yourself, fill out a model release with yourself as both the photographer and model.  Like Nancy OShea mentioned, if someone else took the photo then the copyright belongs to them.

Something recognizable like a car as an example, still has IP rights owned by someone else so you'd need a property release from them if you wanted to use it's likeness commercially even though you may own the actual car

Just to cover the common reasons the "Recognizable Person or Things" box is checked, you'd also click the box if you are submitting artwork that you've created yourself.  If that is the case then you fill out the property release with yourself as the creator.  But this isn't particularly related to the question at hand.

Good luck!

George F, Fine Art Landscape Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

" If you are the original creator then you fill out the property release. "

Are you saying that if she took the pics, she must fill out a property release? Sorry, I'm easily confused sometimes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quoteAre you saying that if she took the pics, she must fill out a property release?
By @ImaRetiredTeacher

==========

If WHO took the pics???

Submitting work by other artists is prohibited. That would violate Stock Contributor Terms and get you permanently banned from Stock.

Only the photographer who creates the picture and has an active Contributor account can submit to Stock. Read these links:

https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/terminology-and-importance-of-copyright.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying that if she took the pics, she must fill out a property release? Sorry, I'm easily confused sometimes!

By @ImaRetiredTeacher

You need to be the creator of the asset to be allowed to submit. There are exceptions to this rule, but those exceptions are very rarely applicable here. An example of an exception is a company, where the company retains the copyright of the assets, even if employees have taken the picture. However, the copyright law is quite complex, and this means that you really need to have good contracts with your employees. Asking and paying someone to take pictures of yourself does not give the copyright of the pictures away.

There is no property release involved here.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never asked this question. It was a woman who hired a photographer to do a photo shoot of her.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I'm confused.  This topic is from 2022.  The OP is gone.

A commissioned photographer owns the work they produce.

A model does not own rights to sell it.  But they may have minimal rights to use it for promotional purposes if it's in the written contract.  If unsure, consult an attorney.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2023 Jun 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You commented, I answered your comment. That's what I do.

Are you still confused?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ImaRetiredTeacher , I've clarified the comments above.  I hope they are less confusing!

@Abambo and @Nancy OShea are both correct.  You must be the photographer of the photos you are sibmitting.  I'll only add that if you are submitting a photo you've taken that doesn't have any recognizable people or places, you don't have to fill out any additional releases as it's assumed you are the photographer.  

Cheers!

George F, Fine Art Landscape Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@ George, It was some model girl that began this conversation about contributing a photo of herself, that was shot by someone she hired. I didn't start this "fire", but a couple things that were said burned a hole in my brain, LOL. No skin off my nose as I AM the photographer of my images! Thanks for trying to help me though 😃

I did make a comment based on her conversation:

By ImaRetiredTeacher

My confusion was about a PROPERTY release for a human.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The rules for Adobe stock contributor say, that you need to be the creator of the assets. So basically, you can't upload the pictures. The copyright owner is the photographer. You can assume, that the copyright in the great lines is everywhere in the world similar. So posting a picture of you, without the consent of the copyright owner, is not to be recommended. On the other side, the copyright owner would need to have your consent to post the pictures because you have a right to control your image.

Models sign for that a model release, and you will have to attach a model release to your submissions, even if you are both the creator and the model.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the scenario, I did some photoshoots with a photographer. Our agreement is that I pay for the photos, and he immediately sends them to me. That's the end of the contract. No logos, brands, or any symbol, and he doesn't keep or share the photos on any platform or with anyone else and I have 100% ownership rights. What should I submit? A signed model release or do I still have to get consent from the photographer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't take the photos.   Adobe Stock does not accept photos except from the photographer who actually took them.  Sorry.   You have nothing to sell.

Incidentally, you don't own the copyright unless the photographer signs a waiver.   Contact an attorney who practices copyright & intellectual property law.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know the details of your contract with the photographer, but even if you have more rights on the pictures than usual, you obviously can't sign on the model release as the photographer. If someone else is the photographer, you will get your pictures refused. 

And I still believe that your photographer retains the (c) on the pictures except if you are proficient in (c) law, and made a waterproof contract. But even then would it be against the Adobe rules.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If someone else took the photographs, you can't submit them.

If you took a selfie, you must submit a signed model release to use your likeness commercially.

https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/model-release.html

Photographers who have 100% ownership rights can submit their work to Adobe Stock for commercial sale.  The photographer retains all rights to the image. 

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the scenario, I did some photoshoots with a photographer. Our agreement is that I pay for the photos, and he immediately sends them to me. That's the end of the contract. No logos, brands, or any symbol, and he doesn't keep or share the photos on any platform or with anyone else and I have 100% ownership rights. What should I submit? A signed model release or do I still have to get consent from the photographer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you can't get consent from the photographer. Adobe Stock is only for photographers, and only for their own work. As a model you cannot submit (unless it's a self portrait).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines