• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does Adobe Stock accept images as editorial only?

Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone tell me if Adobe Stock accepts images as editorial only? I am new to the site and one of my recent images (see attached image below) was rejected due to intellectual propety reasons. I know that they accept them as illustrative. Also, can anyone suggest how I would obtain a release for the said image? Would I have to get in contact with the cities PR department in which I shot the photo? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Galveston Island Pleasure Pier-8308 copy.jpg

TOPICS
Contributor critique , Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Hi Jacquelin,

Yes, I saw that when I first started uploading images, and when I tried to submit one, I got a box that popped up stating that I had to apply in order to submit the said image. So, I'm assuming that it's been updated. Thanks for the heads up! Be safe and have a wonderful day.

Cheers, 

Keith J. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @KDJ Imagery ,

Other than illustrative, Adobe has their own people that does editorial. You will have to get a release sign to upload it to Adobe. If the owner is not readily available, then I believe the best way to find out who's authorized to give permission is to enquire from occupants, or caretakers. I am here assuming you did not upload it to stock with the watermark. This is beautiful if you are unable to locate anyone with authority to sign a release, then there is at least one other platform I know of that will accept it without release.

Best wishes

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answers, I didn't know that they used their own photographers. As for the initial upload to stock, no I didn't upload the one with my watermark, I just used that on the one in the forum. I know, it's a small sized file, just can't be to careful these days! I'll see what I can do with contacting the city, perhaps the board of tourism. I see that you have been a member on here for several years, do you think this image would qualify as illustrative? Probably not right? If it were a tighter shot and including beach goers enjoying some relaxation time. Thanks for the heads up! What was that other platform you mentioned? 

Cheers!

Keith J. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @KDJ Imagery ,

The illustrative editorial was recently offered to all of us. I am not sure I understand it. I know no people should be included in the frame. This link need some updating, however, it outlines the requirement of the files to be submitted: https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/user-guide.html/stock/contributor/help/illustrative-editor... . I learn most times by taking chances. I'd suggest upload for illustrative editorial and see what happen. I see no harm in doing so.

Best wishes

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link. I had already done a little research on that and discovered that I need to have sold around 100 images in order to submit that kind of stock. Thanks again!

Cheers,

Keith J.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi KDJ,

I do not think that is still the case. When you upload, look at the side where you fill in meta data to see if there is an checkbox option for illustrative editorial. If there is it means you should be able to submit illustrative editorial files. 

That is why I said that the link needs updating.

Regards

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jacquelin,

Yes, I saw that when I first started uploading images, and when I tried to submit one, I got a box that popped up stating that I had to apply in order to submit the said image. So, I'm assuming that it's been updated. Thanks for the heads up! Be safe and have a wonderful day.

Cheers, 

Keith J. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jacquelingphoto2017_0-1615433831674.png

Here's a current screenshot with the option. Over "Recognized people or property" beside a checkbox it says "This is Illustrative Editorial Content". If your content is illustrative editorial you click in the checkbox to activate the check. In that case you would have submitted  the file for editorial use.

Regards

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe uses Reuters and a sports photography agency for editorial use.

For illustrative editorials (pictures with logos but no people in), you need to have had more than 100 sales to open that open for you.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice shot but it's legally entangled.  Contact the city and ask them who owns the pier, amusement park and concessions. To sell this image commercially on Adobe Stock, you'll need signed releases from ALL owners.  Another option might be to sell or license your image to the amusement park souvenir shops where they can sell it directly to the tourist trade. 😉

Hope that helps,

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Nancy, I never thought to see if they would consider licensing it in the souvenir shop as postcards and prints. It sounds terribly hard to get signed releases for all the rides/concessions! I would have thought that this image being such a wide angled shot, it wouldn't have any intellectual property. Having said that, these days you need a release for just about anything.

I once uploaded an image of a fishing pier/barn floating in a public city owned lake to 500px and it had to have a release, even if it didn't contain any people and the barn itself was partially obscured as a silhouette. Anyways, thanks for your help and have a wonderful day!

Cheers,

Keith J.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Nancy, I never thought to see if they would consider licensing it in the souvenir shop as postcards and prints. It sounds terribly hard to get signed releases for all the rides/concessions! I would have thought that this image being such a wide angled shot, it wouldn't have any intellectual property. Having said that, these days you need a release for just about anything.

By @KDJ Imagery

A lot of those parks use their photographers and want to control how and where their image is used. The theme park owner would not appreciate someone else using this picture to announce the theme park of a competitor. 😞 The light show and the specific park arrangement may make it of limits for you. And yes, you need a release to take a picture of a line in the sand today because someone could recognize it...and sue Adobe for offering that…

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines